Live for Speed | New Development Progress Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Long live Live for Speed! Another month is fast approaching, so time for a look at some of the latest impressive developments currently being worked on back at LfS HQ.

This time, the compact team of dedicated LFS developers have decided to shine the light on some work that has been undertaken around the now 15-year-old Live for Speed racing sim - dramatically updating and improving the visuals of this highly regarded title.

So, let's check out what the team have been doing during these early days of worldwide lockdown;
Dear Racers,
We hope you are keeping well in these unusual times. LFS online activity has been higher than usual due to the lockdowns so I hope most of you can find a good race!
We don't want to do a full progress report this month but I can tell you a few things that have been going on this year.
Eric has been continuing to work on South City. He has been updating a lot of the buildings to give them a more detailed three dimensional structure. Progress is good but there are still holes and unfinished objects around. For this progress report he wanted to stay focussed instead of stopping to clean things up for another big round of screenshots.
On my side the main news is that LFS has been converted to use Direct3D 11. A lot of developers have had to go through this process at some point and we are later than most. It is a quite long and meticulous process because it's not as simple as renaming a few D3D9 functions to a new D3D11 style. Some parts of the update were relatively easy like that but other areas of code needed to be done a completely different way.
After all the graphical glitches were sorted out the frame rate was notably higher than the D3D9 version. I don't know exactly why that is but I did take time to do the proper restructuring so that D3D11 would work cleanly. There are various other possibilities in D3D11, although there are no visual changes in LFS yet. For example you can request information from the graphics card without slowing things down. It could be used to read back some data about the current image to adjust the brightness (eye adaptation / auto exposure). I'd like to try a live 'audio render' to create the reverberation more accurately depending on your car's location instead of relying on pre-generated echo maps.
This change does mean that some older graphics cards will no longer be supported. At the moment LFS can still be compiled to use D3D9, but it will be hard to maintain the two versions, specially when we start to use the possibilities that D3D11 offers. For now I am using the D3D10 feature level, which means it works on D3D10 graphics cards. There is no guarantee about that at this point but that's what I'm aiming for now. I know that some people don't have a D3D10 (or later) graphics card and in that case I don't think LFS will work on their computer. But I think that's quite rare so it seems like the time has come to drop support for D3D9 graphics cards. I'm not exactly sure when Direct3D 10 support became common but it has been around since 2007 and Direct3D 11 graphics cards were available in 2009. According to the Steam Survey most gamers have a D3D11 or D3D12 GPU and a few percent have a D3D10 GPU.
Apart from all that technical stuff I did one visual update. The individual tree objects can now move with the wind. Not only the old auto-generated trees (which have been improved) but all the other individual trees and bushes too. It's a fairly subtle effect but it does make the place seem a bit more alive.

Original Source: Live for Speed.

LFS is a classic racing simulation available exclusively for PC.

15 years later and still going strong... check out the Live for Speed sub forum here at RaceDepartment to stay in touch with the community around this golden racing title.

Live for Speed Update 1.jpg
Live for Speed Update 2.jpg
Live for Speed Update 3.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know why but LFS popped into my head and I downloaded it again after many years. Not much has changed I see. Still feels nice to drive though.

Why doesn't the guy in charge just let the modding scene in and at least make some tracks for it? I gave up with it after the Scirocco business.

I think it is to complicated to make tracks for this sim, check out how small the software is, or they don't want to give they tools to us. Only they know why.i think lot of people use this sim for nostalgic reason, but it still great to drive :)
And the VR still one of the best.

They should open it for modders for this could give a new life to this great Sim.
It's not easy to retroactively fit modding into a game. You need to make a robust underlying simulation that can handle change as well as expose an API. It can't have any "tricks" to make the physics work as they normally have unpreditable effects in the hands of modders (Tricks is an unjust word in this context. Optimisations is a fairer way of putting but I didn't think you'd understand my point if I used that word).

We should be very greatfull this community as Assetto Corsa!

Last edited:
If anyone else is having issues running LFS using a WMR VR HMD (i.e. the right eye appearing skewed or distorted), the solution posted by a user on the LFS forum worked perfectly for me.

Go to WMR settings/ Headset display tab / Experience option> put it to "Best visual quality" (everything else i have to the max 1080p>best resolution>90hz)

I dont really know why but this finally fixed it. Hope this helps guys.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 323 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 223 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 281 13.4%