Live for Speed | New Development Progress Previews

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Long live Live for Speed! Another month is fast approaching, so time for a look at some of the latest impressive developments currently being worked on back at LfS HQ.

This time, the compact team of dedicated LFS developers have decided to shine the light on some work that has been undertaken around the now 15-year-old Live for Speed racing sim - dramatically updating and improving the visuals of this highly regarded title.

So, let's check out what the team have been doing during these early days of worldwide lockdown;
Dear Racers,
We hope you are keeping well in these unusual times. LFS online activity has been higher than usual due to the lockdowns so I hope most of you can find a good race!
We don't want to do a full progress report this month but I can tell you a few things that have been going on this year.
Eric has been continuing to work on South City. He has been updating a lot of the buildings to give them a more detailed three dimensional structure. Progress is good but there are still holes and unfinished objects around. For this progress report he wanted to stay focussed instead of stopping to clean things up for another big round of screenshots.
On my side the main news is that LFS has been converted to use Direct3D 11. A lot of developers have had to go through this process at some point and we are later than most. It is a quite long and meticulous process because it's not as simple as renaming a few D3D9 functions to a new D3D11 style. Some parts of the update were relatively easy like that but other areas of code needed to be done a completely different way.
After all the graphical glitches were sorted out the frame rate was notably higher than the D3D9 version. I don't know exactly why that is but I did take time to do the proper restructuring so that D3D11 would work cleanly. There are various other possibilities in D3D11, although there are no visual changes in LFS yet. For example you can request information from the graphics card without slowing things down. It could be used to read back some data about the current image to adjust the brightness (eye adaptation / auto exposure). I'd like to try a live 'audio render' to create the reverberation more accurately depending on your car's location instead of relying on pre-generated echo maps.
This change does mean that some older graphics cards will no longer be supported. At the moment LFS can still be compiled to use D3D9, but it will be hard to maintain the two versions, specially when we start to use the possibilities that D3D11 offers. For now I am using the D3D10 feature level, which means it works on D3D10 graphics cards. There is no guarantee about that at this point but that's what I'm aiming for now. I know that some people don't have a D3D10 (or later) graphics card and in that case I don't think LFS will work on their computer. But I think that's quite rare so it seems like the time has come to drop support for D3D9 graphics cards. I'm not exactly sure when Direct3D 10 support became common but it has been around since 2007 and Direct3D 11 graphics cards were available in 2009. According to the Steam Survey most gamers have a D3D11 or D3D12 GPU and a few percent have a D3D10 GPU.
Apart from all that technical stuff I did one visual update. The individual tree objects can now move with the wind. Not only the old auto-generated trees (which have been improved) but all the other individual trees and bushes too. It's a fairly subtle effect but it does make the place seem a bit more alive.

Original Source: Live for Speed.

LFS is a classic racing simulation available exclusively for PC.

15 years later and still going strong... check out the Live for Speed sub forum here at RaceDepartment to stay in touch with the community around this golden racing title.

Live for Speed Update 1.jpg
Live for Speed Update 2.jpg
Live for Speed Update 3.jpg

Last edited:
I loved LFS back in the day. The idea of it being updated with better visuals, physics and audio makes me want to hop back on. Would love to see it get a new lease of life, and who knows, a fleshed out S3 license and a brand new packed S4 license. I'm willing to give it a chance!

i've been playing since the blackwood demo days, LFS is still my favourite sim to play with lfs tweaker making my own machines. Mouse steering in this is simply the best.
The magic of something as little as just adding non linearity steering suddenly makes mouse steering experts run less than half a second slower than steering wheel users. Something some games, specially assetto corsa, could do with.

Oh, man I loved that game. Putting aside all the traditional values in life for just a moment, I think I never was a happier man then when purchasing a Logitech Driving Force GT and enjoying LFS with proper 900 degrees of rotation.
I still fire it up time and again for the pure nostalgia of it.

Summer 2003: Attempt to get into the 36's at Blackwood in the XF hatchback. Never beat 1:37. Bothered the sh!t outta me for years as I was driving a (fwd) GTi daily and thought I had FWD all figured out.

Guys cranking out 34s and 35s was enormously frustrating. I need to give it another crack. Good virus isolation entertainment.

Great news. I still sim-race Live for Speed once in a while and still love it. Blackwood, Westhill,
those beautiful blue skies (the best out there yet) are a joy to watch, and the cars are very
nice to drive. Live Live for Speed! The best!

I'm not sure I will convert to the new update. I still use a Dell laptop with Intel HD4000 graphics on my secondary rig, and LFS is the only sim that runs on it. I mainly use it for testing my DIY game controllers. The physics and telemetry features are still good enough compared to any other sim.

"¿todavía están vivos?!?". Casi no lo crees, pero una búsqueda rápida en Google muestra su página de Wikipedia y todo está escrito en tiempo presente. "
Friend it's like you read my mind, hahahaha, classics are classics and almost always the best.

These are like in the movies, you grew up watching them and pfff, you are big and they are still intact.

I noticed mirror reflections responding when I installed the Singer 911. I guess it installs the patch? But they are still faking it. I.e. it changes the mirror angles, but they are still essentially flat screens without depth, not true stereoscopic like LFS.

I honestly do not know or see a difference in VR. They both look 3d/stereoscopic to me.
LFS had them first, but real mirror when enabled within CSP (custom shader patch) look as good to me. It is not car specific, any car in AC when using real mirror have them.

I honestly do not know or see a difference in VR. They both look 3d/stereoscopic to me.
LFS had them first, but real mirror when enabled within CSP (custom shader patch) look as good to me. It is not car specific, any car in AC when using real mirror have them.
Maybe the Singer is a different hack. I'll check out mirrors with CSP.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back