Live For Speed: February Update Report

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Live for Speed 1.jpg

Could night racing be coming to Live For Speed? According to the latest development update, it is very possible indeed...

Having taken to the habit of producing monthly public updates about the ongoing development of Live for Speed, for the month of February the LFS Developers have taken a slightly different approach - showcasing some experimental work that is a potential first step towards the inclusion of night racing within the title.

It must be noted that the development screenshots shown here are exceptionally early in the works, and what has been shown within the latest update may very possibly not make it into the pubic build of the game - depending on how the experiments progress in the coming weeks.

The full update can be seen below:

We aren't ready to do a full progress report this month. Instead, I'll tell you a bit about some experimental work I have been doing.

DISCLAIMER: This work is unfinished and there are many issues left to solve. At this point it is not certain that it will be released. This must be taken in the spirit of a progress report, showing experimental work that sometimes takes place behind the scenes.

The story behind the experiments:

• Because of the way the new lighting works, it should be possible to share lighting configurations between tracks and have realistic sun directions. There is no longer a need to have a limited number of lighting setups per track.
  • In a test version of Live for Speed I can set date and time and the sun direction is calculated from that info, along with the latitude of the track.
  • The problem then becomes how to limit the time settings to the times of day we can support. One possible answer is to allow all times of day and night, which in turn would allow the lighting to change through time. That led to this experiment with headlights.

You can click here to see a 6 second animated GIF of a 24 hour period in the summer at Aston. Please bear in mind it's just a work in progress. The sky doesn't change and is simply darkened after sunset. The changing sky and sunlight is very roughly done in this quick test and is something that needs to be worked on if this experimental work is to be released. Other work includes making the cars receive light from headlights, improving the floodlights, etc.

I hope you like these early shots of work in progress.

Live for Speed 2.jpg
Live for Speed 3.jpg
Live for Speed 4.jpg

Live for Speed is available exclusively to PC.

Check out the Live for Speed sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest Live for Speed news and discussions.

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

This looks great! I really hope they give some attention to improving the car models. If LFS was open to modders it would really shine. Its been over 16 years since the initial release, it would be nice to see some higher quality cars

It´s funny, how some old titles like LFS or RBR still keep up with the new games.
Both of them got me exited, when they were released and i still enjoy them with my OSW and the Rift.
Unfortunately there are no real races on the LFS Servers anymore, they are only drifting or doing some kind of cruising stuff with lanes and cops.

They have the game engine we have the cars, lets throw some GT into the mix and a few formula cars,
tell them to give us a shout. ;)
can you imagine...

..I'd be open to try getting my stuff in that game, but I fear those two Devs (I don't really count Victor) won't even think about opening it to modding before Scawens kids finish university.

...means I'm stuck with private stuff like these

This looks great! I really hope they give some attention to improving the car models. If LFS was open to modders it would really shine. Its been over 16 years since the initial release, it would be nice to see some higher quality cars
I asked them about that and said priority was to work on the tracks, maybe later the cars, but only the demo cars look good interior wise, the other suck bad

Bad move from them, could've been huge, but their time has passed.
I remember taking a look at LFS when it started and when I realized they won't support modding I've never played that game again. Good thing though, brought me to AC in the end :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 139 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 142 13.8%