• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured Live For Speed: February Update Report

Discussion in 'Live for Speed' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +20,588
    Live for Speed 1.jpg
    Could night racing be coming to Live For Speed? According to the latest development update, it is very possible indeed...

Having taken to the habit of producing monthly public updates about the ongoing development of Live for Speed, for the month of February the LFS Developers have taken a slightly different approach - showcasing some experimental work that is a potential first step towards the inclusion of night racing within the title.

It must be noted that the development screenshots shown here are exceptionally early in the works, and what has been shown within the latest update may very possibly not make it into the pubic build of the game - depending on how the experiments progress in the coming weeks.

The full update can be seen below:

We aren't ready to do a full progress report this month. Instead, I'll tell you a bit about some experimental work I have been doing.

DISCLAIMER: This work is unfinished and there are many issues left to solve. At this point it is not certain that it will be released. This must be taken in the spirit of a progress report, showing experimental work that sometimes takes place behind the scenes.

The story behind the experiments:

• Because of the way the new lighting works, it should be possible to share lighting configurations between tracks and have realistic sun directions. There is no longer a need to have a limited number of lighting setups per track.
    • In a test version of Live for Speed I can set date and time and the sun direction is calculated from that info, along with the latitude of the track.
    • The problem then becomes how to limit the time settings to the times of day we can support. One possible answer is to allow all times of day and night, which in turn would allow the lighting to change through time. That led to this experiment with headlights.

You can click here to see a 6 second animated GIF of a 24 hour period in the summer at Aston. Please bear in mind it's just a work in progress. The sky doesn't change and is simply darkened after sunset. The changing sky and sunlight is very roughly done in this quick test and is something that needs to be worked on if this experimental work is to be released. Other work includes making the cars receive light from headlights, improving the floodlights, etc.

I hope you like these early shots of work in progress.

Live for Speed 2.jpg Live for Speed 3.jpg Live for Speed 4.jpg

Live for Speed is available exclusively to PC.

Check out the Live for Speed sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest Live for Speed news and discussions.

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

• Like Like x 14
  2. CobraCat

CobraCat

Ratings:
    +314
    This looks great! I really hope they give some attention to improving the car models. If LFS was open to modders it would really shine. Its been over 16 years since the initial release, it would be nice to see some higher quality cars

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Icky427

Icky427

Ratings:
    +15
    and here i thought Star Citizen was taking a long time to develop....

• Haha Haha x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Ole Andreasen

Ole Andreasen
    Hey... wait up! Premium

Ratings:
    +242
    And Avatar 2
    And Avatar II :confused:

I would very much like to see night races in LFS. My problem is that I am 55, and I am not sure I am still around when it comes out, right after the Tyre update and the Scrirocco.:laugh::laugh:

• Haha Haha x 13
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  5. CC

CC
    Premium

Ratings:
    +7,146
    They have the game engine we have the cars, lets throw some GT into the mix and a few formula cars,
    tell them to give us a shout. ;)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  6. shmafoozius

shmafoozius

Ratings:
    +79
    Agree. But as far as I know, they will only start working on the car models once all tracks are updated.

7. Chobonator

Chobonator

Ratings:
    +120
    I had one of the best VR experiences the other day in some kind of DTM battle at some Rockingham Roval configuration. It's kinda nice they're still working on this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Helldriver

Helldriver

Ratings:
    +37
    It´s funny, how some old titles like LFS or RBR still keep up with the new games.
    Both of them got me exited, when they were released and i still enjoy them with my OSW and the Rift.
    Unfortunately there are no real races on the LFS Servers anymore, they are only drifting or doing some kind of cruising stuff with lanes and cops.

9. AccAkut

AccAkut
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,719
    can you imagine...

..I'd be open to try getting my stuff in that game, but I fear those two Devs (I don't really count Victor) won't even think about opening it to modding before Scawens kids finish university.

...means I'm stuck with private stuff like these

• Like Like x 1
  10. Leonardo Ratafiá

Leonardo Ratafiá
    Premium

Ratings:
    +853
    I asked them about that and said priority was to work on the tracks, maybe later the cars, but only the demo cars look good interior wise, the other suck bad

11. A3DR

A3DR
    Premium

Ratings:
    +5,127
    Bad move from them, could've been huge, but their time has passed.
    I remember taking a look at LFS when it started and when I realized they won't support modding I've never played that game again. Good thing though, brought me to AC in the end :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. CobraCat

CobraCat

Ratings:
    +314
    Whats odd to me is their tracks always looked much better than the car models. Oh well, either way its good they are making improvements.

13. shmafoozius

shmafoozius

Ratings:
    +79
    Scawen said it's because the new lighting system needs updated tracks but not updated cars which is why the tracks have priority.

14. XRRoy

XRRoy

Ratings:
    +42
    Too late, Scawen!

• Like Like x 1
  15. spanner76

spanner76

Ratings:
    +0
    LFS was amazing many years ago, I guess the physics are still decent but the overall presentation and graphics do need a major overhaul.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +5,232
    Such a waste, one of the best MP functions around, don't know why others can't achieve that, would be really good if they teamed up with another group to update.

• Agree Agree x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.