- Jun 5, 2009
Live for Speed is the racing sim that refuses to be forgotten and recently the developers have been hard at work producing yet another substantial update to the game.
With the title having been released as long ago as 2003, development slowed in recent years leaving many sim racers to believe the development team have finally shelved further support for this popular simulation. However in recent months updates have picked up pace considerably, even introducing one of the best Virtual Reality implementations of any current racing game available on the market currently.
The new build update released recently weighs in at 135MB and brings with it a reasonable number of fixes and improvements for the title, including a substantial reworking of the popular Blackwood circuit. The team have updated textures and details all round the circuit and have also added a new historic variant to join the current Grand Prix and Rallycross versions already in game.
Other changes include an update to the car shadows on track, improvements to the open configuration maps to make functionality much more informative and other miscellaneous fixes and improvements.
The full changelog and install instructions for build 0.6R can be seen below:
- New textures, geometry and detail improvements all around
- New Historic configuration (similar to GP but without chicane)
- New industrial estate area available when open config selected
- XRG / XRT / FZ5 maximum steering angle increased to 45 degrees
- Spawn position now disables “Could not join : Start is blocked”
- Maximum number of layout objects increased to 2100 (was 1800)
- Reduced the frequency of IS_OBH packets due to Blackwood kerbs
- IS_OBH is always reported, as before, for movable objects
- TYRE contacts no longer report IS_OBH for unmovable objects
- BODY contacts also report unmovable objects played in a layout
- New small map view for open configs/car parks/autocross areas
- Small map opacity can now be set for light and dark map colors
- Improvements on track selection screen using the area maps
- Shadows are no longer cast upwards or towards the light
- Ambient (non-direct) shadow darkness now depends on distance
- Skid marks now remain when race restarts (excluding replays)
- Increased LOD distances of humans/drivers/marshalls
- Skid marks are now visible on unmovable layout objects
- Westhill paths adjusted and regenerated to avoid graphical holes
- Autocross paths regenerated and physical hole fixed at skid pad
- New text command /lang X to load language (data\language\X.txt)
- FIX : LFS could crash using /axload with a long layout name
- FIX : Traffic lights did not work after texture resolution change
- FIX : Message text was faded on entering free view from escape menu
- FIX : Removed message “Side mirror – point too central”
How to Update:
AUTO UPDATER (If you already have version 0.5V or later) :
- Click on "Multiplayer" then "List of Hosts" in LFS and choose a download mirror.
- Click HERE and save the patch installer - You can run the patch installer from its download location or from your LFS folder.
- Click HERE to visit the download page and get the full version installer.
Live for Speed is available right now for Windows PC.
Check out the RaceDepartment Live for Speed sub forum to join in with your fellow community members and discuss this olden but golden racing title. It might have been around for a while, but its still going strong!
Do you still play Live for Speed? How does the game compare to more recent sims? Like the new update? Let us know in the comments section below!