PC1 Little review..

Hi guys has any of you played the latest build? If yes please tell me what you guys think of the game cause im not sure if i should buy it and become part of it, so yeah give us a little review of the handling, physics etc.
btw im a sim racer, i play LFS, Rfactor and GTR 2 I sure the physics of pCARS wont be as good as them but is it like SHIFT 2? cause that was bad lol is pCARS atleast drivable? i wanna hear from other sim racers! :p

Ian Bell is very good at backing himself out of a corner to defend the game. Fact is, it came from him and he meant it at the time. If people are silly enough to believe the backtracking now then more fool you

If it was going to be a high quality sim, then Bell would've said that Iracing/rf2/simbin are his aim/competition, but he states that GT5 is the aim{or better, whatever that means}.....so it's possible that millions will buy this game and enjoy it, but I doubt I'd bother as I lose my reflexes when I play simcade games, but if I jump from sim to sim, I often improve some aspect of my driving.

Who of the simracing-elite-commission decided that Gran Turismo is not a simulation? I can pick a dozen of cars from that game that feel fantastic drivingwise, especially the low powered non-tuned cars feel very good.

Sure it has a lot of game features and the overal presentation is different to other sim games but I wouldn't qualify GT5 in between arcade and sim when it comes to driving at all.

We hear many times on these very forums people claiming to have this or that achievement in GT5/FM and then struggle when they move to the established sims.
I started my racing game journey with GT3/GT4. Everything I now know about car control and the like, I learnt from those games. I then found out about RACE 07 and it was really a logical progression. I'm not the best simracer out there, but I've had my fair share of success online in the past here on RD... and I owe it to Gran Turismo. It was a crucial stepping stone to where I am today.

Yeah, the GT series might not be quite as in-depth as Race 07 and other PC sims, but I wouldn't completely discount it. Look at the GT Academy program, for example...

Good Point :)

IMHO GT5 feels very solid (as a driving game/semi-sim/sim/whatever with s***loads of cars)... what I don't like are things that are more related to game design and content. But these are not that important for many people as there are more then enough cars, events and so on (or they get used to it?)

look at that.http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/little-review.49261/#post-1104386 for me this thread is over.and everything you write is of topic.
All of that is the topic...

What the Chief of SMS says about their project certainly should be relevant? (because it gives some insights on how the project will develop)

I
Yeah, the GT series might not be quite as in-depth as Race 07 and other PC sims, but I wouldn't completely discount it.

All I'm doing is dicounting it as a sim, as too many people say that it isn't.
It's probably the case that GT5 is the best simcade ever made, and also the case that most people don't have a G27 or greater and experience what genuine sims have to offer.

With DFGT, I was open to sim+simcades, but with G27, it's most likely going to be sim only.

We hear many times on these very forums people claiming to have this or that achievement in GT5/FM and then struggle when they move to the established sims.
My flatmate claims to be pretty good at GT5. Had him try pCARS, he struggles. Makes mistakes like hitting the gas too hard, doesn't counter-steer well, takes corners much slower than he could - he just can't stay near the limit without going over it so he stays way below it instead.
He's not completely terrible though, just needs practice really. But his GT5 skills don't carry over too well.

My flatmate claims to be pretty good at GT5. Had him try pCARS, he struggles. Makes mistakes like hitting the gas too hard, doesn't counter-steer well, takes corners much slower than he could - he just can't stay near the limit without going over it so he stays way below it instead.
He's not completely terrible though, just needs practice really. But his GT5 skills don't carry over too well.

None of that changes the fact that pcars feels nothing like any of the established sims though, ie, grip fest+mash fest on brakes+ zero steering fidelity etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Btw, your comments really put GT5 into perspective as well.

Will it be a good-great simcade....sure, maybe, but a sim....you gotta be joking!!!!!!!!!!!

On paper pcars might have a more advanced physics engine, but in reality, it's in a poor state and may even be beyond the developers capabilities to calibrate it.

On paper pcars might have a more advanced physics engine, but in reality, it's in a poor state and may even be beyond the developers capabilities to calibrate it.

You think every good sim had those excellent physics of theirs before they even hit alpha stage?
These guys had EA-controlled NFS Shift as a starting point, turning that into a full-on sim is going to take time. It's already a hell of a lot better than Shift 2, I've gone back and compared, so they are making progress.

They're working on a new tyre model so physics will change dramatically when that is in. Lots of technical info about in was posted in the WMD forum recently.

They could easily take the cheap route and use the old ISI physics code they have from GTR 2 instead of trying to improve things.

Don't think I'm blind to the flaws, make no mistake there is a lot to be done, but seeing the progress in the last few months makes me confident :)

That doesn't make too much of a difference. I can drive fairly quick in most racing games I play, certainly quick enough to beat the AI on hardest settings.

But I can't be very fast in pcars. it just feels inaccurate and off. I eventually figured shift 2 out but I was never as quick with a pad as I was with a wheel. pcars doesn't even feel like that yet...forget playing with a pad until they fix it. I guess I can't speak as to how it plays with a wheel...but it's making me feel like an idiot with this pad. even with assists I just can't do well. can't even complete a lap in the formula A/B cars.

Yea race sims need good input filters to be drivable with a pad. There's some guys that manage, they must have super accurate fingers. There's even a couple of guys crazy enough to use a keyboard and they set decent times. How they do that, I don't know. I was kinda ok with a pad but found it impossible with a keyboard.
pCARS needs work on the gamepad control but I don't think they can do that before the new tyre model is in.

The Formula A is pretty damn hard even with a wheel though, I suck at it pretty bad and I use a G27 wheel. I'm ok at most of the cars though.

Also my flatmate was using my wheel when he tried it. Could have contributed to his difficulty because I think he would have played GT5 with a pad (not sure though, didn't ask).

These guys had EA-controlled NFS Shift as a starting point, turning that into a full-on sim is going to take time. It's already a hell of a lot better than Shift 2, I've gone back and compared, so they are making progress.

Maybe, but you must remember that I've been reacting to people claiming it's already a sim, and by my definition, that's not the case.
Reading some of the AJ physics stuff informs me that even if EA got out the way, they still may have had issues with the precision of the whole sim experience.

If you compare Game Stock car to GTR Evo, GSC has a sound and visceral advantage, but the V8 Stock car isn't anywhere near as tricky as many of EVO cars, especially under brakes and also exciting corners, but I actually don't know which is the most realistic, but I can certainly tell that it takes a definite braking technique in some of EVO's cars, whereas GSC V8 is more forgiving......however, atm, pcars is miles away from feeling remotely as good as the V8 Stock car.

If we then move to the 88 and modern GSC F1 clones, pcars alternatives are left for dead by every sim criteria.

Another thing to consider is the range of car behaviour that RACE07's F3000 exhibits and can be made to exhibit, iow, fiddle with the set up and you'll "feel" it, in fact, if range of car behaviour is our measure, the F3000 must be one the greatest sim cars ever made.....but everything about pcars is gross in comparison or non existent.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 207 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%