Linux version news

Hello guys,

it has been a while already I was playing Racer on linux. Now I got the time again and wanted to see the progress of it but I see that the linux version has been discontinued. Is this just a temporary state, or is this for good?

I have seen some guys being able to run it with wine, but that's not my case. I didn't manage to run it under wine.

Please, tell me the news.

Thanks,
Bernard

Hello guys,

it has been a while already I was playing Racer on linux. Now I got the time again and wanted to see the progress of it but I see that the linux version has been discontinued. Is this just a temporary state, or is this for good?

I have seen some guys being able to run it with wine, but that's not my case. I didn't manage to run it under wine.

Please, tell me the news.

Thanks,
Bernard

There have been almost no news about a linux version for a few years now, I think.

Honestly, developing games for linux is quite hard, since there are so many more issues with different distros and graphics drivers etc.

Why can't you just set up a dual-boot system with a secondary Windows installation for gaming?
(I myself have a triple-boot system with Fedora12, Win7 and WinXP; If I had a Mac, I would probably also setup a dual or triple boot system with Windows and Linux).

Well, I am Linux only user and I see no reason for developing Linux version of Racer. I have 3 Windows Racer betas currently active - v0.6.5.5; v0.8.8.1 and v0.8.32. They are all working with no issues on Wine 1.3.17 in Ubuntu Lucid 10.04.2 64bit. Issues that a Linux user might have are probably no different than those of average Windows user, mainly a video card that is not able to run latest cg versions, or trying to run old non-cg content on a newer cg Racer. I would rather see Ruud putting his efforts into enhancing Windows Racer than developing Linux support for it..

Yes guys, your arguments are quite reasonable and I agree with you. I'm not a fan of a dualboot system, so I'll try to fix my issues with wine and run it that way then.

Have a good day!
Bernard

Data corruption with some tools :) That was my bad in the old times.

But basically it is the philosophy behind - I don't want to adjust myself and buy a different system because of 1 or 2 apps that don't run on my current system. I want the developers to adjust to my need (not talking about Ruud, but in general) And for those who had done so, they know I reward them generously.

As I said, just a philosophy... ;-)

But I think after several years, I need to reinstall my system. All the new driver releases I haven't been catching up for 5 or 6 years...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back