Linux and Gaming

I recently switched to Linux from MS Windows for a lot of reasons. (Dual booting to still play Windows games :/ )

Managed to get Diablo 3 working etc. Also read that the new Unreal will be released for Linux too.

Found the following Rally (arcade) game for linux which I'm going to try out.
StuntRally

What is everyone's take on games for Linux. Will you switch to Linux if ALL game would work on it?
Do you think that developers will now start writing for Linux too since Valve, Nvidia and AMD is very much in to the Linux scene now?

If you play Linux games what do you play?

I recently switched to Linux from MS Windows for a lot of reasons. (Dual booting to still play Windows games :/ )

Managed to get Diablo 3 working etc. Also read that the new Unreal will be released for Linux too.

StuntRally

What is everyone's take on games for Linux. Will you switch to Linux if ALL game would work on it?
Do you think that developers will now start writing for Linux too since Valve, Nvidia and AMD is very much in to the Linux scene now?

Well, I'm a Linux user but I don't play so much Linux games, because my computer is a trash.

I used to like to play the TORCS and ManiaDrive but nowadays I just play games developed with the Löve 2D Engine using the Vapor client.

Personally I prefer to play in video game consoles, but if you have a good computer I think you can find some nice Linux games.

StuntRally

Isn't the new STEAM OS going to be Linux based?

Im a Linux user for many years, having got fed up with Windows and its issues and licensing but sadly have a Windows drive just for games. More and more games are being written for Linux but there is still a way to go before its ready.

Games i plays mostly are sim racing games like Assetto Corsa and Game Stock Car. These keep me on Windows, but if they were written for Linux id change full time to Linux. Assetto is written in Python so who knows, and they have a Linux server application already. Problem is that the extras still wont work...so an example is for my sims i use a steering wheel, it needs to be setup in the OS, and my Logitech wheel has no Linux software so until the peripheral companies embrace Linux, we will forever be limited to the games we can play.

Games that have no issues are shooters and there are lots that are native in Linux, like most ID games...the major brands like Codemasters, EA, Ubisoft all seem reluctant to make a native Linux game but if SteamOS does take off, they might have no choice!

At the end of the day, its all about what game or games you want!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 304 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 203 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 154 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 270 13.6%