Like all other athletes, why don't many drivers finish schooling?

I understand for some of you, who race like it is something of a career, but, I would have attended Skip Barber Racing School in Leeds, Alabama, but, I get that feeling I won't be able to complete my education.

I still want to attend when I accumulate wealth and what not, because I want to fulfill my dream of test driving an F1 car. (Don't we all?)

Even if I was a professional racer, my educational progress would have been priority no. 1, while racing would be no. 2.

I have read that Bruno Senna managed to finish college while he was racing in some way. What I am trying to say is that not completing your education is something you should never feel proud of. Like all athletes, they have to find some professional trade after retirement.

What do you think?

I believe Norbert Michelisz has 2 university degrees. IT & economist. He's not an F1 driver though.

Zsolt Baumgartner was an F1 driver and he did university studies, however I have no idea how he continued.

I think that its just stupid for any athlete to not complete some sort of education wether it be trade or degree. Because if your main career falls through you have nothing to go back on. And, in all honesty, there is always time to do it, you cant push your body 24hrs a day or it will suffer. Its stupid not too.

For instance, whilst not a racing driver my uncle tried to become a professional footballer. He got some lower league games in england before coming back to australia, trying to break through in our mediocre leagues (this was the 60-70's). He did play for the socceroos a number of times, but it was lucky he had the prescense of mind to complete a trade and get work in his speciality, particularly after his career didnt take off the way he wanted it too. Because of that, he had something to fall back on and make a more than comfortable living off. And he tells me that learning these skills didnt effect his training at all, he just used his spare time. Whilst its true that some guys make a living off their sport, no one mentions the guys who never quite made it. And there a lot more of them who dont.

Its the same for racing, especially in the current world. Whilst in the past drivers had to more or less pay their own way to the top, and basically the more money they had the higher they got, modern racing with the increasing sponsorship money and racing scholarships has seen more competition in motor racing then there ever has been before. And this will continue to grow in the future. No longer is racing confined to the rich. It is increasing possible to work your way up, and it will become easier as time passes should you have the talent. More competition means more people who will miss out. And if these guys dont have the plan in place, they may be left with no where to go.

Speaking directly to Mohammed, your view point is correct. Education is always the top priority. It can even help you in your racing endeavours later on. But I also believe you can do both at the same time. It may be harder, but no way is it impossible. And the guys who choose to forgoe this are not thinking hard enough about their future. :)

I think racer drivers can start business careers (Like Trulli) so that they can have a source of income post-racing. I do not think anyone have to finish the university, universities should produce professors, scientists, writers, engineers and such.

At least many football player in the Netherlands have compelted a decent secondary school level. Dennis Bergkamp for example has compelted vwo, which is the highest level of secondary school. Many others have at least completed havo. In the Dutch football academies schooling is as important as football itself.

Yep, maybe they don't have a degree in college or university, but actually there's no real need to. Even if their career fails many have earned €300.000+ and you can easily go to university or college on a higher age for that..

One of the best Dutch gymnasts studies medicine during his career as gymnast..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epke_Zonderland

I think many athletes and sporters in the Netherlands have a decent degree or have the money to follow it later on..

If you earn lots of money in your career, even for a short period of time, then you don't have to worry about your education. You can start doing business very easily. You can hire people for that job too. You would just need a comfortable sofa and probably a racing rig. How many real drivers racing online these days? :D

But if you don't earn lots of money then yes, you'd have to think of back doors.

Many drivers or musicians own hotels or restaurants for example and they don't work there. And you could be a share holder too. Well, sometimes money is better than education in this world.

Can you think of an example of a racer who was actually a top student?

Not sure about the top student, but I liked this "Educated racer interview" with Ryan Newman, a Purdue grad who got into racing being a four-and-half-year-old kid. He got a Rich Vogler scholarship and pimion grant; and the very idea of the Ryan Newman Foundation was a chance to give back to the scholarship.

Here's an interview:

There are a few F1 drivers with higher grade education. Helmut Marko is a doctor in law. Marc Gene has a diploma in economics. They are few because it is hard to have both enough time and motivation to pursue education that is not useful for your career.

Here's an interview:
I did not know that about Mr. Newman. IndyCar owner-driver Ed Carpenter is also a Purdue Boilermaker.

It's the same with their education because it's difficult to find both the time and the drive to pursue education. Make an appointment to visit a Driver Licensing office and prepare a strong student application. For help, go to our website kingessays.com. To verify your past driving experience for a new B.C. driver's license.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back