Lighting on roads - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't

I've recently discovered the joy of putting lights around my track for night time driving, but i've been having some strange problems. On some areas of the track, the lights evenly light up the surface of the track and the sidewalks next to it. In other areas, the lights work on the sidewalks, but the road surface itself is dark.

The areas can be fairly close to each other on the same track and same track surface, so it's not a matter of different surfaces or materials. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas about what i could do to fix it?

Here's a screenshot. The image on the left shows the lights behaving correctly, the image on the right shows the dark street next to properly lit sidewalks:

lightfail.jpg

~Sub

Each section of Terrain/Tracks can only have so many omni lights on it. I dont remember the number, but that looks like the problem you might be having. Break the Terrain/Track into more peices to fix the problem. Hope this helps.

Just following up on this. I added several new 'materials' sections to the heavily lit areas of the track and the problem went away. The terrain got a little more tricky since i'd merged a lot of nodes, but i finally got all that fixed as well.

So Jon, thanks very much for pointing this out! Your suggestion worked perfectly!

~Sub

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 211 14.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years