Life, Universe and everything within

Yea i would imagine it spinning out of control but i can´t see how it will impact the earth if the forces applied to it is identical all the way around.
And assuming gravity is the same all around the earth and the earth is a perfect sphere for the arguments sake.

It does not have to spin, just any minute difference in distance between the bridge and the surface would be amplified, so one point of the bridge would come down to ground while the other side (I am assuming the thing holds it's shape at least until contact, which is probably false, but ok), pops up.

You can mathematically assume perfection, but even a perfectly spherical airless earth would bulge from tidal forces of the moon and sun.

Much earlier than touch down it should start to bend and crumble. Precisely 'how' would need tricky finite element simulations, not something that you can simply answer with rule of thumb estimations.

It does not have to spin, just any minute difference in distance between the bridge and the surface would be amplified, so one point of the bridge would come down to ground while the other side (I am assuming the thing holds it's shape at least until contact, which is probably false, but ok), pops up.

You can mathematically assume perfection, but even a perfectly spherical airless earth would bulge from tidal forces of the moon and sun.

Much earlier than touch down it should start to bend and crumble. Precisely 'how' would need tricky finite element simulations, not something that you can simply answer with rule of thumb estimations.
Yes obviously the whole point of the question is not realistic as you can´t physically smash every pillar at the same time around the whole world.

You have to imagine full perfection of everything or nothing as it would be impossible to build it in the first place.

Yes obviously the whole point of the question is not realistic as you can´t physically smash every pillar at the same time around the whole world.

You have to imagine full perfection of everything or nothing as it would be impossible to build it in the first place.

If you want to imagine full perfection, then go on. The answer to your question is then clear, irrelevant, but clear.

Remember the structure in the universe that is supposedly the largest structure in the whole universe (actually it´s around one third of the width of the whole universe.......geez..)

Anyway, was looking for AC news and Aris tweeted this video about this phenomenon.

Hurricane the size of Australia on Jupiter.
500km/h in wind-strength. (150 meters per second)

744878main_pia14945-946.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/whycassini/cassini20130429.html

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back