LIDAR

Hi everyone,

I've got a racing track scanned with Lidar.
My track is modelised. Now I want to use pointclouds do make high-res track surface. Okay.

With CloudCompare (freeware), I can save my pointcloud as .asc, .txt, e57, pcd, pts, xyz....
I've read notice to convert as .rcd...

My global questions :
1)how to convert a .asc or .pts file as .rcd
2) how can I import in TrackEd ?
3) how can I edit in TrackEd ?

and my questions about informations contained in notice :
1) I should create a .ase file with 3dsmax. How can I do ? 3dsmax 2010 cant' read pointclouds, so I can't export .ase !
2) I should start a race and open a console command. (I copy from website, it's "Shift -~")
I can find "SHIFT", I can find "-" (I guess), but where is "~" ?

If you already have luck to use Lidar in Racer...thanks for your help...

For the console issue:
"~" is the key next to letter L. I have an Italian keyboard layout, it's "ò" in mine. Atleast that's what opens up the console for me... xD

You can only use and create the high density RLD triangle meshes for driving on inside Racer Pro.

There are notes on racer.nl on how to convert the ASE into an RLD with Racer Pro.

But you need to first process your point cloud data into a triangulated mesh, then export that mesh as an ASE, which is then processed to form the RLD.

So firstly, if you have Racer Pro, then you can go further.

If you have a point cloud then you need to turn it into a surface somehow, and then export that as ASE from 3DS Max to process into RLD for Racer Pro use.

There are lots of ways you can generate the surface to export, Cloud Compare can do it, as can lots of other software... but there is a lot of work in processing the points to remove noise (even with well scanned LiDAR), but retain data, to get actual surface topography and not just be driving on noise etc.

Cheers

Dave

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back