Lewis Hamilton Larbalestier

Parking MBE - LOOOL!

Neil - Spot on mate.

I have so many lengthy discussions about this. I mean... Lewis, great driver. Very talented indeed! I think he is great to watch and great for the sport. I'm way up there with Lewis enthusiasts BUT:

I feel his skill and achievement is getting blown WAAAAY out of proportion. We are almost, if not already, classing him as one of the greats of the sport already!

I strongly feel that this is far from being the case and MBEs + other awards are very premature at this stage. Has he won 7 world championships? No! Has he won 6?? No! Has he even won 2...??? No! Lets remember he has only won one... just. At best you could say he nearly won two, but the fact is he didn't.

Lets think about the bigger picture. Mclaren, awesome car. Ferrari, arguably, dropped the ball. Kimi, shocker of a season. Massa, arguably, unlucky.

And what about the other young talents. I mean, Vetell for goodness sake...? Ok, not British but younger than Lewis and won a freaking race in a poxy Torro Rosso AND gave Hamilton the mother of all headaches in the last race of the season. I mean c'mon people.

He is the youngest winner of an F1 season. I believe that is it, unless I've missed something.

• Ollie Flint

These MBE's OBE's etc are all bollocks!

1. Does anyone really care?
2. Does it make them any more important to Joe Bloggs

NO and NO.

I agree with the above - seems MBEs etc get handed out for all sorts of reasons. At the end of the day, LH was given an MBE for doing his job (competing in and winning motor races). Sure, he did well, but does that make it worth an MBE?

On the other hand, a very good friend of my family was awarded an MBE in the New Year's honours list as well - his was for giving up pretty much all of his spare time to visit terminally ill people in hospital who have no family or anyone else to care about them. He receives no income from this and is not a wealthy man. IMO, that is what MBEs and the like should be given out for, not just for doing what you're paid to do.

In a surprise statement issued shortly after midnight on this date, the highly competitive Brawn GP team shocked the F1 community by announcing that Lewis Hamilton is switching to the Brackley-based outfit for the remainder of the 2009 season.

The reigning World Champion will therefore leave the McLaren Mercedes team with immediate effect, and will be wearing the Brawn operation's white overalls at this week-end's Malaysian Grand Prix.

“It was a logical decision to make when considering the situation both our teams are facing at present,” Ross Brawn stated. “Everyone is very confident in regards to our potential in both the drivers' and constructors' championships.”

Read more at f1-live.com

This is actually not a joke!

1606btl.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back