Lewis Hamilton: The Best Ever?

Paul, I believe you have misquoted Toto... Saying they (the fans) have the opportunity to see "maybe the best driver that has ever existed" is not the same as saying he's the 'best driver that has ever existed' ". I believe that by saying "maybe" Toto meant that when it is all said & done, and Lewis retires, he may have surpassed nearly every record there is to achieve in F1. And in the next 5 years, he just may do that. But in the meantime, he is (as one person already in here stated) one of the greats. Whether you hate him or love him, you simply have to agree with that. I feel that to state otherwise is to overlook the way he came into F1 and dominated another great in his rookie year... Then win a championship in just his second year. And then exorcise the demons that come from an extremely quick rise to fame (which so often destroys people's careers) and get his head straight... Then to choose the right team to switch to (being "a great" often requires making wise, intelligent decisions). And now having won this many times in pretty dominant fashion.

Feel like someone at RD is just wants us to fight all over this, usually idyllic and peaceful, forum. :D
And why not, more people pour in = more "popular" page is, more advertising, more profit, who could blame them, eh ?
First that hall of the fame "is F1 boring" legendary thread, now this one. What's next cooking there, I wonder. :sneaky:
My money goes for
"is Lance really a F1 material v2.0" and
"is it time for Romain to hang up his cleats v22.2".
Yeah, gloves, ok, whatever...
I really hope everything will go their way, at least that "go pro" won't be jumping in front of my eyes no matter how hard I Ctrl+ or Ctrl- all this. :unsure:

I am not a Hamilton fan in fact i can't wait to see him lose. That said i think he might be the greatest driver of all time. The man doesn't make mistakes, and has the best mental warfare of any driver on the grid. He especially knows how to get under Vettels skin. It's subtle.

Jim Clark will always be my favorite driver though.

Hamilton the best ever! no, their are loads of amazing drivers out their that can easily match Hamilton in that car , so if hes got the best car and wins nearly every race does this make him the best, in my book no. i am afraid the car is the most important in f1 these days.

Well i remember when Senna on a Toleman had to be stopped to not win a race in Monaco, or winning one in a Lotus that was not the best car.... or putting up a fight against Williams with magical suspensions.... i do like Lewis but there's a few monsters out of reach for anyone currently in Formula 1... imo.

I'm not sure I'd even venture to call him the best F1 driver ever. Hmm, no, scratch that, I know I certainly wouldn't, let alone the best driver ever - even if he was (impossible to say). Nevertheless, he is one of the greats. I was never a huge fan, but I recognize his talent and each year I appreciate him a bit more. F1 is a specific sport, where machine matters more than a driver, especially nowadays. Comparing drivers from different eras is impossible and pointless

How many times you hear Lewis complaining on the radio about this and that and sounding worried............Martin thinks he is out of breath :roflmao:

Lewis suckers them all into false sense of security :sneaky:

Master Class

I think he is a contender for the best ever. Funny how everybody laughed at his decision to move to the failing Mercedes team, then after he joined helped develop one of the most consistently quick cars...ever. Equally funny how Mclaren nose dived after his departure. A driver who can develop a car, destroy his teammates (including a multiple world champion) and win in all conditions, often by snatching victory from the jaws of defeat must be a contender for the "best evah!". Strangely sounds like Hamilton too.

Nice clickbait. :D

This said, I've been watching F1 since 1978 and for me Hamilton is clearly the best F1 driver that I have seen since then. He is as fast and as consistent as Schumacher and he is a cleaner driver.

He is an awesome driver and in F1 he is defenately one of the best but to be the Best ever you should have driven and won multiple Race Classes like LeMans or something too. I mean when you look at Jacky Ickx for example...he was not as successful like Lewis in F1 but overall a more impressive example for being the best ever. And I dont mean with that Jacky Ickx is the Best ever, he is for me one of the best but thats just an example. A lot of guys in different eras are the bests ever;)

Maybe in F1, but F1 is not my favorite category.

I like more Sébastien Loeb in Rally or the incredible Stéphane Peterhansel in Dakar.

Finally my favorite driver is Crash Bandicoot ^^ in the Kart category

These threads are brimming with popcorn. Well done.

I would bet 50p that LH will make a trip to Ferrari in 2021. I guess if he did that and won another final DC before retirement it would be incredibly impressive.

Last edited:
I place bike riders above any 4 wheels

It is more rider talent then machine in every motorcycle series ever been held

Ricky Carmichael was given " the GOAT" tag by his peers, not commentators :geek:

You have to compete against other great drivers in either the same car or other cars with similar performance to really test yourself. Sadly, Lewis has not had the opportunity to really do this. Thus you can't judge him fairly and you also can't say he may be the best ever.

I don't think anyone is really the best ever, including Schumacher who holds so many records. But look at a guy like Prost. Look at his championships, wins, podiums, points etc. Then look at his teammates. Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Mansell, Hill. Together his teammates won something like 11 championships. Driving against them and performing so well, so consistently is a real test of your skill. Lewis just has not had the chance to face that

Senna still is the king. Who knows where he could have gone if tragedy hadn't struck? Senna was always on the top grid even when his car wasn't good enough, like the 1992 McLaren. There's very few drivers we can say the same about. And Lewis certainly isn't one of those, just remember his long winter after 2008. He's only great when the car can back him up.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back