Lewis Hamilton - One of the Greats?

• Mikko Lashay

One of the greats for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best drivers allways perform strongly in the rain. Hamilton is therefore one of the best.
But Verstappen is the other one in this era. His mental attitude is the one of a true Champion.
I am an Hamiton supporter and a Verstappen admirer.

Yes, Mercedes is one of the all time greats, and Hamilton, who is a decent driver, was able to capitalize on the obvious performance advantage that Mercedes has had since the start of the V6 Hybrid era. Ferrari has only JUST caught up.

New F1 fans seem to have amnesia when you bring up the V8 era which was dominated by Red Bull where Hamilton was rarely mentioned just prior to the new rules, it's just silence.

Never a great, just the driver of the best cars with the most 'luck' of the millennial years.
'Formula 1 WDC' means little when the team rules out any internal competition.
Comparable to Schumacher, always #1 status, and in real terms only a double WDC, and his first in decidedly shifty circumstances.

The only driver that I can even think to place next to or above him is Senna, and that's because Senna is the driver that he patterns himself after. They both have that killer instinct and intense level of focus in both the dry and in the wet that I haven't seen before.

Last edited:
In his era? Probably but he never proved this in a bad car, he always had car from the top and in Mercedes era it's near impossible to lose especially when your main rival is Ferrari which commits suicide regularly.
All time? No, never. There was a lot more better drivers in history. He's and will be one of the better drivers but not the best.
Every teammate that Lewis partnered with had the same car with the same technology giving them the same chance to show greatness, and still he (Lewis) was the only driver to utilized the car and its technology to its fullest potential to win, and that includes Fernando Alonso.

One of the greats, well you gotta put him up there. But one must recognize he's rarely had a car that couldn't compete for at least wins. 2014-2016 he's had a car so ridiculously dominant, he was only ever racing 1 guy. Rosberg, who beat him! And I don't hear anyone considering Rosberg an all time great.

The only car that had a similar gap in performance was the MP4/4 in 1988. Not even the F2002 or F2004 had a 1-2 second a lap advantage over the field.

When compared to his teammates, who have not been push overs, he's put in far more impressive performances than them. And that is a fair way to measure a driver.

Yes, Mercedes is one of the all time greats, and Hamilton, who is a decent driver, was able to capitalize on the obvious performance advantage that Mercedes has had since the start of the V6 Hybrid era. Ferrari has only JUST caught up.

New F1 fans seem to have amnesia when you bring up the V8 era which was dominated by Red Bull where Hamilton was rarely mentioned just prior to the new rules, it's just silence.

New F1 fans?You must be new to F1 or have never looked at the history of the sport if you think that it is all Mercedes & Hamilton just happens to be the driver.Every Great from Nuvolari,Ascari,Fangio,Clark,Stewart,Prost,Senna,Schumacher had great cars to dominate,win races & championships.

He is one of the greats in F1 yes... one of the greats in a sport context?
Not for me.

F1 sporting achievement is being in the best car and in Lewis's case only competition he's had is Nico for a few, then this year Seb and Bottas and Kimi......

So yeah, great in F1 terms, but that is it.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 71 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 380 39.7%