Lewis Hamilton going to Mercedes next season

I really don't understand why he isn't signing the contract already, is this his own way to motivate himself to fight harder for the championship?
Is he thinking to gain some kind of new offer if he would to win the championship?
Or is this an action to seek some attention?

He´s not doing anything. It´s his management team.
They are there to get every last penny they can, plus some other things like driver´s trophies which Mclaren are adamant they want to keep for themselves.

However Ron seems to have gone a little bit mellow after the win haha,
"well...it´s more important to win so maybe we can compromise a little" :p

I can understand that but isn't he the man to give the final word? Idk if his contract with the management team doesn't allow him to but this is getting to the point in which Hamilton seems like a diva.
I hope all this will be clear once he signs on that contract because he have been waiting to finally sign it for several months now. (well since the offer was announced to the media)

Yea sure he ultimately decides what to do but he or whitmarsh for example doesn't get involved directly, they have people on both sides.

It's just business and it's natural for drivers to talk with other teams to see what the options are.
Hamilton wants as much money he can get, mclaren wants to pay as little as possible.
It's a game and when they reach a dead end then Hamilton makes a decision.

I find the Hamilton/Mercedes thing to be a joke, why would he go to a team who can't even understand their own car.
It took 5 years for RBR and they had probably the best car designer of all time minus Byrne and Murray.

I am so gonna laugh when McLaren decides to appoint another driver (Di Resta?) and all other seats in the top teams are taken for 2013

See what "The Management" has to say then :) Maybe they then can try to suck Vidjay dry at Force India

Apart from Eddie Jordan, who says he's leaving?

Anyone remember when a certain magazine said Webber was going to Ferrari?
Please enlighten me what happened in the end :)

I hope people realize this issue is not specific to just Hamilton.
Every driver has their own manager who tries and gives them the best possible deal.

At the end of the day, I think Lewis will stay right where he is at McLaren...that is, if his negotiating team doesn't screw it up and make Ron mad. At this stage, his only option would be a swap with Rosberg. I can't see Michael leaving...not yet.
Anybody who thinks that all the teams up and down the grid wouldn't tap into their pocketbooks to have Hamilton are kidding themselves. Sponsors like winning drivers. It's why Santander spends so much money to sponsor Alonso.
Any move could have a negative impact for both men. Ron may think he has the upper hand...and he does to some extent, but sponsors also like to see their name up close and personal in the winning circle. Those sponsors may walk with Lewis to whichever team he moves to...provided he continues winning.
I can still remember the look on Ron's face when Ayrton announced the move to Williams. Lets hope we don't see it again.

I find the Hamilton/Mercedes thing to be a joke, why would he go to a team who can't even understand their own car.
It took 5 years for RBR and they had probably the best car designer of all time minus Byrne and Murray.

There's a lot to consider though. The new engines and aero package in 2014 could turn it all on it's head. Yes Newey is the best designer but Mercedes have proved to have the best engine since the V8 era began.
Also in 2015 McLaren will be a Mercedes customer. That means they will be responsible for making all performance related upgrades their self, in that respect you would think Mercedes will always have the jump on them!

There's a lot to consider though. The new engines and aero package in 2014 could turn it all on it's head. Yes Newey is the best designer but Mercedes have proved to have the best engine since the V8 era began.
Also in 2015 McLaren will be a Mercedes customer. That means they will be responsible for making all performance related upgrades their self, in that respect you would think Mercedes will always have the jump on them!
New engines yes but Mclaren will have an identical engine.
And not only that, but they have years and years of producing championship winning cars not to mention race winning cars.

Basically what people are relying on is that Mercedes will produce a top car for 2014.
When you have teams like Ferrari, Red Bull, Mclaren, Lotus etc the chances are extremely slim.
They haven´t got it right in three years, i doubt they even understand how they won the Chinese GP to be honest.

Same engine as Mclaren yet they have loads more problem with their car in getting the power down. If you haven´t figured out that by now after almost 2 years then there´s very little to say they will for next year or even 2014.
If anything the engines will produce more torque so it will be even worse for them if they don´t solve it.

The partnership will be identical as it is today except that Mclaren will have to pay for the engines.

Like Mclaren supplying ECU´s to the whole field.

Basically we could say the same about Force India or Sauber building a great car in 2014 that will win races/championships.
The chances however are very slim.

He also just won a race. Where did Nico and Schumacher finish?
Why in the world would he sign for Mercedes if he wants to win races/championships other then pure guess work?

There are only three teams to follow today if you want the best possible chance to be succesful, RBR, Ferrari or Mclaren.
Several teams have won races this year but if you look at the scoreboard it´s the usual at the top in both championships.

I am so gonna laugh when McLaren decides to appoint another driver (Di Resta?) and all other seats in the top teams are taken for 2013

See what "The Management" has to say then :) Maybe they then can try to suck Vidjay dry at Force India

I have to say that if I was in Ron Dennis shoes it would be quite tempting to say
"we made you my boy, 15 years of support, sesons in GP2, our backing when you and Fernando fell out, a race winning car 4 years out of 5, many poles one WDC and would have been 2 if you weren't so keen to win in China in season 1. Now you have these smart alec suits all over you and and have gone all rockstar on us. Tell you what why dont you have a season or two in another team and see how many races you win without McLaren my boy. When you get some perspective we will talk again-that is unless we find we are ok with another driver that is."

Back to my own words. I reckon he has made a bit of an arse of himself again lately. After last year when he appeared to grow a bit of manhood and humility after a tough year with popshername etc. He seems to be reverting to type.
Lewis, grow up, stop playing games and sack your management team. Ron Dennis has been negotiating driver contracts (with the legends of the sport) for more years than you have been alive.

To me it looks like he´s in a funk..
like he´s trying to get out of it but deep down something is bugging him..

Completely neutral, fake smile and just seem lost in interviews.
that girl has burnt his brain or something.
Still works to go fast though but he seems completely detached when people talk to him.

He did not even celebrate the group photo, just a little smile.

In My opinion
Lewis doesn't seem to fit in the Mclaren Family any more
He changed a lot On-Track but he still act like a kid Off-Track. He needs to learn how to be a Good Person out side of the Track and He needs to Manage his team rather than His team Manage him.
if he goes to Other team at the End of this year you may perform better On-Track but if you do the same kind of Off-Track actions i honestly believe they won't tolerate them
As Mclaren is treating him like a Kid when they found first and Excusing his mistakes all the time
I Hope he gets matured but if he doesn't i guess he may loose all his Reputation
No offense on this but If any other Driver does the twitter thing He will loose all his reputation and Most probably loose his seat

If Eddie Jordan says something it doesn't mean much, but it seems that James Allen has thrown his weight in on this as well and he's someone whose reputation is actually built on being a serious journalist.
I still find it hard to believe, but the story is starting to gain some credibility now...

I also agree with David O'Reilly. Hamilton just doesn't seem to be worth the trouble he puts up anymore.

From your link,

Eddie Jordan, apparently prompted by both XIX and Bernie Ecclestone, lobbed the grenade in on Wednesday, saying that Hamilton was on the point of signing for Mercedes. It was a final call to McLaren to improve the deal on offer or lose their man.

They all originate back to Eddie. James just said why it made sense.
Easily you could make a counter-case saying it´s better to stay put another year and then look for a new ride.

I just see this as Alonso moving to Sauber. It´s crazy.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back