Let's talk weather

You can't script it. The only thing you can do is, set up a dry track for start, full cloud coverage, 0% rain, and high weather variability. And eventually it would start raining.

I think people are confused with the rain percentage setting. This is not the probability of rain, but the amount of rain when the session starts. 0% = no rain, 100% = downpoor. That's why you can't set a rain % unless you set up a minimum of cloud coverage.

Is it possible to start the race dry and then have it rain during. If so, how do I set this up please? I've tried but only seem to be able to have 1 option.

You can't script it as in 'it'll rain 20 mins into the race' but you can randomise it a bit. If you go into the weather tab, select your starting weather, make sure dynamic weather is enabled and set your variability to x% then the weather should randomly vary by that %.

Doing some quick testing just now I had the starting weather set as 'Clear' and the variability set at 100%. The weather while skipping through the sessions seemed to be fairly random. Sometimes the session would start sunny, sometimes the forecast would suggest that is was going to start raining 20mins into the session and sometimes the session would start with it already raining,

Struggling a bit with this, does it only work on longer races?

I only tested it using sprint race weekend or endurance race weekend, not quick race so I'm not sure how it'd work with that. From my testing it seemed that the race weekend would always start with whatever preset I had (in this case sunny) and after that it would be entirely random. Sometimes I wouldn't see a hint of rain on the forecasts for the whole weekend, other times a downpour would happen 5 minutes into the first practice session.

Struggling a bit with this, does it only work on longer races?
I believe the way it is set up is the weather changes in a realistic manner over the given game time. ie: if you do a 10min race with 1x timescale then you wont really notice a difference. However, a 10min race on a 8x timescale (so in other words 80mins of 'real weather time') would mean that you notice the weather changes.
Having experienced it on a few online servers, you do need time acceleration to make the variable work in a shorter space of time.

This post on the ACC forum explains the weather setting quite well... https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...rating-multiplayer-esports-event-notes.55894/

If we are talking about simulation it should be no choice. The weather should be the current one on the track (and the time too, but we can discuss on that).
At least for online racing, just because the real pilots can not choose.
Just my opinion

So I did a quick race with increased time and it started clear then changed to rain which looks great but.... .... I pitted onto wets but the AI stayed out and did the whole race on slicks even with heavy rain. Now I'm sure it's been pointed out on the official forum but.... When I started to post about another issue, they told me I had to attach the log file but.. .. And keep this to yourself shhhhhhh I don't know where they are (he whispers) and I don't want to tell them that cos they'll think I'm stoooopid lol

So I did a quick race with increased time and it started clear then changed to rain which looks great but.... .... I pitted onto wets but the AI stayed out and did the whole race on slicks even with heavy rain. Now I'm sure it's been pointed out on the official forum but.... When I started to post about another issue, they told me I had to attach the log file but.. .. And keep this to yourself shhhhhhh I don't know where they are (he whispers) and I don't want to tell them that cos they'll think I'm stoooopid lol

I'm sure they are looking at it, as you said, it has been reported already in the official forums. It is true that sometimes a light rain is not enough to force the change to wet tyres. In fact, if you do it too early you will find yourself with overheated tyres after half a lap. But what you are talking about happened to me too, I was struggling to keep the car on the track, changed to wets, but all the AI cars stayed out on slicks and they didn't seem to have any problems with it.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 244 15.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 160 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 122 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 226 13.9%