Let's race ! this time for REAL - my first ever real life race - 9hrs of Brno Masaryk Circuit

No wonder it is understeery. Huge rear wing and on the front all you have is those little dive planes. Obviously a smart choice if all the drivers are amateurs and for first time drivers it makes no difference. A sim racer will know there is understeer but it is still great experience just to drive a car on track.

Oh wow, thanks for much so all the positive responses, where do I start ?

I have a question: How much is your butt gives you more information than the steering wheel?
Butt and the general feel of G forces is by far the biggest factor that informs you about the car movement. For example this car was setup for lot of understeer ( which I suppose was done on purpose, because understeer is generally safer then overseer, and the team of course wants to bring car home in one piece) , so yeah, lot of those corners where I break late, the most feeling of understeer was coming from the butt and the sound, the steering wheel didn't really tell me how much I need to steer for car to grip back. I would of course intentionally reduce steering angle to see if the car grips back, but it would be the general feel of G forces combined with visuals, rather then my steering wheel telling me what to do - at least that's how it felt to me :)

Great article, thanks for sharing. Racing the car felt quit familiar to the VR simracing. Now that you have raced, how does the VR simracing feel?
as I said in my initial write up, this was one of the things that really surprised me a lot, having a helmet on ( partially reducing my FOV, and having something heavy on my head) felt very similar to having a VR headset. One of the big difference (of course) was that in real life, I often just glance with my eyes, whereas in VR you have to turn your head, but it felt strangely familiar, so SIMRACING , especially in VR, isn't really that far off !
You do feel way more tired though in real life, after that 1 hour of driving, I felt bit tired and also bit dizzy,
Dizziness came from constantly looking at mirrors trying to monitor the traffic around me, and when you do that in corner where you are trying to go as fast as you can, it was something that my body isn't used to , whereas in VR, I remember doing even 2 hours stints, felling completly fine

that being said though, of course real life is another level,
you feel things like smelling that Golf Diesel when you got behind it, or if someone spins out, you feel the rubber smell ( ooh the rubber smell.. )

but when you consider the amount of money, yeah I gladly take sim racing , because even when this kind of racing I would call "affordable" , it's still way way way more then what you pay as sim racer

Just out of interest how did it compare to Project Cars seeing as people love to bash the game for being unrealistic?!!
here I will say, this always does depend on a particular car, because one car can feel great while other doesn't feel so good in a given sim,
that being said though, the car ( mind you it was NOT on slicks, but on sports tires) did had a bit of a floating ( it didnt' felt razor sharp), and also, there was a bit of a feeling of the car not having enough downforce, so while undesteering it would feel like it's sliding off, not having enough grip, feeling bit floaty

and this is something cars in pCARS or rFactor2 can feel like. in AC for example, it feels like the cars are bit too planted , .. but then again, those cars , especially on slick tires, I didn't drive, so they probably do have way more grip and downforce

as far as Brno racetrack goes, it feel very close, Brno is very smooth track and very wide, which is captured well in pCARS

But did you practice a bit on the track with the car before the race?
I did ran few laps in pCARS in VR before I flew to Czech Rep. But I have driven on the track before ( with Nissan Primera ( not BTCC) and my Nissan 350z , so I knew the track quite well, although my coach did show me few different lines in few corners then what I was doing in games... especially later turn in points.

How much did this cost you in total?
racing gear I payed around CAD $500 ( glows, balaclava, shoes and socks) * I took this as an investment into the future, so the next time it would be cheaper, although I'm tempted to buy my own racing suit
race itself costed about CAD $1000 ( this covered 1 hour in car, everything payed - tires/fuel/service etc., starting fee payed by team etc.)
and while I did flew to Czech from Canada, it was part of our seeing family trip, so I didn't include that in this

i will update my post as well with these

niiice, congrats! now do you mind to compare e92 s1 in AC and see could it deliver the same feelings of car behaviour? you did mention that pC and rF2 are close, but actually exactly AC has a huge road going cars to compare - so i'm quite surprised you did a comparison with cars having slicks and downforce

well the e92 in AC is still quite a different car,

this one was probably 328 , they said it didn't had turbo ( and it didn't feel like it had :)), and it was rather low on power, on the other had it was quite light. not sure the actual weight but it wouln't surpised me if it was not too much over 1 ton, lot of parts were either carbon or fiber glass, windows replaced with plastic as well .etc.

so compared to M3 in AC, M3 is way way way heavier and more powerful, so I think that it's driving style would be very differnet ( slower in corners, faster on straights ) ,let alone the fact that there isn't a good version of Brno for AC

pCARS I really drove more just for fun, before the race, I didn't use it as training tool or anything, as I already driven on the track before, so I knew a bit what to expect as far as track goes

Great choice Patrik!
I always recommend Radical team to some novice drivers who want to try racing on a big circuit.
It is ideal to start with E36 or E92 (I heard they had siome technical issues on that car).
Nice story, thank you for sharing.
I also did some Makpak races ;)

Nice article @Patrik Marek :thumbsup:

Very cool and well done for taking part. There are hillclimb events on Guernsey but really due to lack of funds (and I have nowhere to keep a car or kart) I found this article interesting.

To be able to pay "for an hour" in a well organised race event is a great arrangement.

Not even sure if these sort of things exist in the UK, obviously I've seen paid drives or pay for each event but the ones I've got in touch with are in the region of £2,000 or £3,000 per event. A CAD $1000, although requiring some saving is a bargain in comparison! :laugh:

Well done and like others who have posted on here, I'm extremely envious my friend. :)

Cool:D!! Amazing you drove the fastest lap, and maintain it for like 66 laps:thumbsup: Talented guy he;) great!

Cheers:)!
Thank you

yes I was very glad to hear my friend talking about "This driver, had proper race lines, and you can see he is driving fast - was that you ? yes it was :) "

and yes, for people in Europe, this is really great opportunity to take a part in proper race event that doesn't require racing license and your life savings
not saying it's cheap, but it's much much cheaper then any other way

in comparioson, I payed some cad $700 for driving a lambo for 10 minutes on "race track" that sadly was made out of cones in parking lot :( .. so the Brno event was way more bang for the buck

there was one good corner there though, where you were breaking while coming out of a turn, and it felt great feeling the car to have all the weight shifting front, but staying under control

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%