Leo Bodnar releasing a Wheel

Abdul Al-Amry

2011 RD Indy 500 Winner
Faints.....gets up and faints again.

ffbmotor.jpg

Also this looks similar

Here is what Leo said on iRacing forums

This is the business end of my humble test system at home. I think we can finally have this on the market this year.
Bummer, I hate hijacking threads, Sorry!

Save your pennies ladies n gents. :cool:

I don't want to say too much, but yes the Stock Car video was with Leo's product. It is not a 'wheel' as its not currently a wheel package, just the motor and parts.

I have used FREX and BRD Speed 7 wheels and they are not very good in my opinion, in most cases a G25 would give you more accuracy and faster response! Leo's product is in quite a different league. It is about 7x stronger than a G25 (more if you add more power..) and has none of the horrible inertia / friction that you feel with the FREX and BRD system.

However, its not priced even slightly towards the 'average simracer' as this is all high quality industrial stuff, not a RC car motors and some plastic gears. Also, this wheel is so fast and powerful, it can highlight issues in our favourite sims, to the point where it is downright *dangerous!* to download a rFactor mod, use the recommended RealFeel settings and drive away. You need to know the mod is right (few are..) and adjusting the settings and controller.ini damping to get the best results.

Leo has said that iRacing currently has really low frequency (50hz ish) FFB which will always feel notchy and possibly be quite unstable. WIth a G25 that might be nice and 'detailed' to the user, but if the FFB in a game overdoes bumps or runs at a low frequency, it might make the sim mostly unplayable at high forces. It is definitely a case of the problem being in the simulation software though, and the quality of mods. What is 'nice a bumpy' on a G25 could really hurt your wrists if you're not careful with this system. My experience with iRacing in the past is that the bumps are possibly overdone in force feedback.

So basically, its completely awesome, but it will highlight any flaws in the mod / sim / track modelling. Some of the racing teams I work with use the system in a carefully controlled optimized rfactor environment with either LeoFFB, a new version of LeoFFB (not usefull for non professional use), or RealFeel. I can't wait for rFactor 2 and better modelling of self alligning torque and an even higher frequency control loop as that will make it a lot better still!

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 17730

I don't want to say too much, but yes the Stock Car video was with Leo's product. It is not a 'wheel' as its not currently a wheel package, just the motor and parts.

I have used FREX and BRD Speed 7 wheels and they are not very good in my opinion, in most cases a G25 would give you more accuracy and faster response! Leo's product is in quite a different league. It is about 7x stronger than a G25 (more if you add more power..) and has none of the horrible inertia / friction that you feel with the FREX and BRD system.

However, its not priced even slightly towards the 'average simracer' as this is all high quality industrial stuff, not a RC car motors and some plastic gears. Also, this wheel is so fast and powerful, it can highlight issues in our favourite sims, to the point where it is downright *dangerous!* to download a rFactor mod, use the recommended RealFeel settings and drive away. You need to know the mod is right (few are..) and adjusting the settings and controller.ini damping to get the best results.

Leo has said that iRacing currently has really low frequency (50hz ish) FFB which will always feel notchy and possibly be quite unstable. WIth a G25 that might be nice and 'detailed' to the user, but if the FFB in a game overdoes bumps or runs at a low frequency, it might make the sim mostly unplayable at high forces. It is definitely a case of the problem being in the simulation software though, and the quality of mods. What is 'nice a bumpy' on a G25 could really hurt your wrists if you're not careful with this system. My experience with iRacing in the past is that the bumps are possibly overdone in force feedback.

So basically, its completely awesome, but it will highlight any flaws in the mod / sim / track modelling. Some of the racing teams I work with use the system in a carefully controlled optimized rfactor environment with either LeoFFB, a new version of LeoFFB (not usefull for non professional use), or RealFeel. I can't wait for rFactor 2 and better modelling of self alligning torque and an even higher frequency control loop as that will make it a lot better still!
Are you saying it won't work well in iRacing?

Upvote 0
In effect, hes saying it works too well! The wheel will show up flaws in the software of our fav sims. So in reality it needs better FFB information from the software to make the best use of the system.... serious stuff and very interesting :)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 17730

In effect, hes saying it works too well! The wheel will show up flaws in the software of our fav sims. So in reality it needs better FFB information from the software to make the best use of the system.... serious stuff and very interesting
Gotcha...that makes sense. Just interesting since that will be my main sim I use.

Upvote 0
I'll try iRacing in August when that overly hyped new tire model is in place for all the cars.

Somebody said the IRL car in iRacing telemetry produces over 60Nm of steering torque, which is a clear sign of the tire model and/or the suspension geometry being unrealistic. Cars have felt too different for me, Skippy good, Radical bad etc. The marketing in iRacing seems to be of a more consistent high level than the cars. Lets hope the tire model makes it better but I'm not expecting too much!

Upvote 0
So, is that basically an industrial electric motor? Like a forklift? Intriguing.

So ffb that's not "perfect" in say iRacing. How would that be solved? Software that would intercede?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing