Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset

Yep I have one, had an OR CV1 prior, gets bugger all use again as I've found myself going back to 3d vision 2 for clarity just like the first time round. It does what it's supposed to but I just can't put up with the image quality, or lack of.
Oh and keep in mind the videos you see on YouTube are not true representations of what you will actually see in the hmd. If you are coming from 2d you will think it's fantastic, if you have experienced Nvidia 3d vision 2 with 100% separation and correctly set convergence then it will IMO be not so great. The immersion is great but image still has some way to go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the input and warning about the image quality.

Nvidia 3d vision 2 is just stereoscopic view on plain monitor, no head tracking. I have played before with Nvidia 3d and while looks interesting I am more interested on the full VR experience, even with the current deficiencies.

For those interested, currently at B&H at 99.99, just the headset NO motion controllers included

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...0a20001ww_explorer_mixed_reality_headset.html

Upvote 0
I own a Lenovo Explorer since 2 weeks now, it has been a hassle to understand how to use it for several games but I finally used it for the first time in Assetto Corsa yesterday.

@Robert Bachmayer is correct on the fact that Youtube videos are not true representations of what you'll see, you don't see how the lenses and the headset itself alter your experience. But still, I've been astonished about how much it enhances the gaming experience.

Imo, if there is a kind of game that ismade for VR, that's racing simulations (and generally any simulation using a cockpit, like a plane, hell even ETS2 is miles better). After years of playing on a monitor, you get your own habits, your way to look for braking points or the moment you have to throw your car at the apex. VR changes everything on that matter. It's way more natural, you feel the depth.

Upvote 0
I had a Lenovo headset since they came out and absolute loves it.
The software has improved greatly over the last year and works much better than on Vive and Rift.
Yes I got access to both!
The colors are better on both Rift and Vive in direct comparison but IMHO i all other aspects the Lenovo is better for Race sims. Lighter, more comfortable and much clear display with no SDE!
My neighbor got a Vive headset and he uses it for other games with room setup and the controllers and controller tracking are without any doubt (much) better on the Vive.
I still would not swap headsets with him. I only use the Headset for race and flight sims so never use the controllers anyway
Sure there are some blur if you look for it but that is VR.
Not even sure the Samsung Odyssey + would be good enough if people can't focus on the immersion of VR but have to focus on blur.

Upvote 0
I had a Lenovo headset since they came out and absolute loves it.
The software has improved greatly over the last year and works much better than on Vive and Rift.
Yes I got access to both!
The colors are better on both Rift and Vive in direct comparison but IMHO i all other aspects the Lenovo is better for Race sims. Lighter, more comfortable and much clear display with no SDE!
My neighbor got a Vive headset and he uses it for other games with room setup and the controllers and controller tracking are without any doubt (much) better on the Vive.
I still would not swap headsets with him. I only use the Headset for race and flight sims so never use the controllers anyway
Sure there are some blur if you look for it but that is VR.
Not even sure the Samsung Odyssey + would be good enough if people can't focus on the immersion of VR but have to focus on blur.

You've summed up a lot of what I said in my review. I also have an HTC Vive which I made some comparisons against.

Upvote 0
I just bumped into a 2nd hand seller in my city. Coming over to test it. Got a Rift atm, will let you guys know!

edit:
I just tried one yesterday: In comparison with the Rift CV1 it was a nicer resolution, but the colors were not as good; the sides were blurry (so if youre focusing on the road your display is annoying!); the FOV is smaller. The headstrap is more comfy tho, so I'll prolly look into getting the Rift S

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back