Left foot braking?

L

lound2

• lound2

Just curious, with auto clutch do most people use left foot to brake? I've resisted up to now so my feet don't get confused when i drive manual car in rl.
How much advantage is there to using left?

Why not try left-foot breaking in real life then?

Although this question isn’t directed to me…

In RL I don't use the brake that much as it is used mostly to immobilize the vehicle or to react to surprise situations. So the extra “quickness” of the left foot braking supposedly gives (with which I don't agree but that is not in question) isn't really needed as RL driving is all about preview & action and much less surprise & reaction (at least I hope).

Leaving passengers outside of the vehicle, obviously quickness can be tested (at the old Nurburgring paying a toll for instances) and in that situation, quick braking can then be a factor… but it isn’t RL, well at least in 99.9% of the driving situations :D

Although this question isn’t directed to me…

In RL I don't use the brake that much as it is used mostly to immobilize the vehicle or to react to surprise situations. So the extra “quickness” of the left foot braking supposedly gives (with which I don't agree but that is not in question) isn't really needed as RL driving is all about preview & action and much less surprise & reaction (at least I hope).

Leaving passengers outside of the vehicle, obviously quickness can be tested (at the old Nurburgring paying a toll for instances) and in that situation, quick braking can then be a factor… but it isn’t RL, well at least in 99.9% of the driving situations :D

Of course, of course you're right but he says his left foot feels useless he anyway could use t in his auto transmission car :p

• Oli Bellamy

I'm quite surprised how many people use their left foot to brake. Perhaps it's just habit but even with the touring cars I tend to use my right foot, generally speaking I don't usually need to be accelerating and braking at the same time, whereas if I get shunted off I may need to brake and push the clutch down relatively quickly.

I have heard of left foot braking when you dont use a clutch to change gears. (in rally only tho, when you can just ram the stick in at the right moment, takes a lot of practice). along with double clutching another technique.

I tried doing the downshifts today in RL in my scooby, with right foot on brake and the heel blipping the accelerator, works well. maintained nice smooth changes :))

Left foot with the Paddles and right foot with the H-Pattern/Clutch on.

Really like it much more with the left so I can brake and accelerate at the same time very accurate. With clutch on I try using the Heel/Toe technique but still not very good at it.

I did confuse this once in my car btw...braking with left foot...needless to say with my upgraded brakes I was with my nose on the steering wheel lol, so won't make that mistake again eheh.

• Locci

Depending on the corner and current gear i tend to use my left foot while driving with a sequential box. While driving with a H pattern i'm kinda stuck doing the heel-toe downshifts.
In RL racing i only use two fingers to brake ;)
Free hug to the guy that figures that one out.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back