Leclerc Secures New Five-Year Ferrari Contract

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Ferrari have wrapped up the services of star youngster Charles Leclerc on a new five year contract extension with the Scuderia.

2019 would be a coming of age season for Ferrari's Charles Leclerc, the sophomore driver performing at the very top of his game as he firmly stamped his authority within the team - often out performing his four-time World Champion teammate en route to an impressive fourth overall in the World Championship standings.

With two race victories and ten podium finishes to his name in 2019, Ferrari have acted quickly to secure the long term future of one of Formula One racings' brightest stars - wrapping up the services of the 22-year-old Monegasque youngster until the end of 2024, adding much needed stability within the Ferrari camp for the next few seasons.

"I am very happy to be staying on with Scuderia Ferrari" said Leclerc of the new deal. "This past season, driving for the most illustrious team in Formula 1, has been a dream year for me. I cannot wait to enjoy an even deeper relationship with the team after what has been an intense and exciting 2019. I’m keen to see what the future holds and I can’t wait to get going again next season.”
Ahead of the major rules overhaul coming for the 2021 season, Ferrari previously only had the services of both Leclerc and lead driver Sebastian Vettel secured until the end of next year, however with many drivers contracts up for renewal in the coming 12-months, Ferrari have made re signing their young charger a priority ahead of winter testing next February;

"With each passing race this year, our wish to extend our contract with Charles became ever more self-evident and the decision means he will now be with us for the next five seasons. It demonstrates that Charles and the Scuderia have a firm future together. Charles has been part of our family since 2016 and we are more than proud of the results we are achieving with our academy" added Ferrari team Principal, Mattia Binotto.​
“We are therefore very pleased to be able to announce that he will be with us for many years to come and I’m sure that together we will write many new pages in the history of the Prancing Horse.” concluded the Italian.​
With Leclerc on a five-year deal, Ferrari have all but guaranteed themselves at least one of the top drivers in the sport for the coming years. However following a couple of less than impressive seasons in the top flight for four-time World Champion Sebastian Vettel, at 32-years-old questions continue to remain about the German drivers long-term future with the red team.

For Formula One discussion, head over to the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself engaged with our passionate and knowledgeable community.

Leclerc New Ferrari Deal 1.jpg

Last edited:
:laugh: As long as Vettel stops wrecking him, he'll do fine.

I think Vettel needs to take a sabbatical from Formula 1 and explore other forms of motorsport where the pressure isn't so high.

It seems to me that currently the pressure is getting to him, and it appears to have done so for the past couple of seasons, though I doubt that Ferrari, as a team, are helping in that respect.

As for Leclarc, well he 110% deserves to be in a top tier team after this years performance, but unless Ferrari get their crap together on all fronts it may be more of a curse than a blessing.

I think Vettel needs to take a sabbatical from Formula 1 and explore other forms of motorsport where the pressure isn't so high.

It seems to me that currently the pressure is getting to him, and it appears to have done so for the past couple of seasons, though I doubt that Ferrari, as a team, are helping in that respect.

As for Leclarc, well he 110% deserves to be in a top tier team after this years performance, but unless Ferrari get their crap together on all fronts it may be more of a curse than a blessing.
Being under that pressure for so long gets to you, especially when you find out there is a great life beyond F1.

Either a very brave move or a not very clever move by Leclerc to sign for on for another 5 years given Ferrari's less than stellar form.

It's unquestionable that LeClerc deserves a seat at the top teams.
What I wonder is if Ferrari deserves one of the top drivers.

A very good point indeed.
:thumbsup:

Vettel is overrated .. the time he was WDC has everything to do with the dominant Red-Bull. Charles was only in his first year with a top team. It would surprise me if Vettel could turn things around next year.

Edit; And the Ferrari was good enough season 2018 and season (2019 with cheats)

Hopefully Ferrari will no longer cheat next year

Last edited:
Good move by Ferrari, but this also makes it pretty sure that Verstappen is not going to the Scuderia anytime soon, contrary to what I was hoping.

As for Leclerc, maybe he can finally bring a championship to Ferrari. Actually, I am sure he has the potential to be WC... It’s the Scuderia I worry about. They need to put their house in order, they’ve messed up much too often recently.

Time to let another driver take that other Ferrari seat, what about Daniel Ricciardo... Come on Ferrari, make the move and save some money, I'm sure Daniel will accept some sort of pay cut :roflmao:
But of course first of all, he'll have to beat Ocon next year...

Ricciardo at Ferrari would be awesome.

Vettel needs to retire... I don’t think that he is committed 100% like before. His main flaw has always been the same: everything needs to fall in place just the right way for him to win. The minute there’s some sort of hurdle, he collapses.

As has been said before here, Charles most definitely deserves a seat at a top team. He has proven he is worth the risk and that he is an incredible driver. The only thing here, a 5 year contract is very long for any driver. Especially a driver as young as Leclerc. For him to even agree such a deal does show that he has more faith in Ferrari than any of the fans or commentators so that might be a shot in the arm for them too.

Very bad choice from Maranello's scuderia!

Anyone with at least half of a brain knows that the man is Antonio Giovinazzi... just because Italian drivers racing Ferraris NEVER goes wrong. History is at my side on that!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.9%