Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Magnussen vs Leclerc Accident.jpg

Charles Leclerc certainly didn't mince his words following a bizarre crash with Kevin Magnussen at the Japanese Grand Prix.

Bringing out a safety car that led to plenty of dramatic action at the Japanese Grand Prix earlier today, Sauber driver Charles Leclerc wasn't short of a word or two about the behaviour of his rival Kevin Magnussen following contact between the two drivers on the start finish straight, the 2019 Ferrari man branding his Haas colleague "stupid" following a bizarre accident as Magnussen defended his position from the rapidly advancing Sauber man.

Magnussen would be seen to potentially move too late to defend the inside line, leaving Leclerc with little option but to smack into the rear of the Dane, causing significant damage to both cars that would eventually head into retirement before the end of the race.

"For me it's clear from the cockpit, I have to watch back the images, but one or two years ago there was a very similar situation with Kimi and Max Verstappen at Spa, when Max was looking in the mirrors and then as soon as Kimi moved Max moved," Leclerc told Motorsport.com.​

"And I think we all agreed at that time that it was a dangerous manoeuvre.

"I don't understand why he hasn't been penalised today. I need to understand because if that's possible then I'll do that next time and I will also expect a driver to do that.

"For me it's dangerous at this type of speed."
Neither Magnussen nor Leclerc would receive a reprimand from the race stewards, although both drivers would have their race ruined by the early contact, something that Leclerc at least thinks was an unjust outcome from the incident.

The question is, who do you think was to blame for the Japanese Grand Prix crash?

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Last edited:
Charles is a good clean overtaker and Kevin has history of fighting too aggressive and needs to dial it down for when it matters. So i side with Charles

Charles will be thinking "can't wait till i get my Ferrari "

Magnussen should have just let him pass. He was much faster and had DRS but he decided he needed to block. Even though he's right, in time Leclerc needs to learn not to public make statements like that. He's young and a little hot-headed.

Magnussen should have just let him pass. He was much faster and had DRS but he decided he needed to block. Even though he's right, in time Leclerc needs to learn not to public make statements like that. He's young and a little hot-headed.
he didnt even have DRS I dont think. It was lap 2, that doesnt justify magnussens move though

Someday Magnussen will make an accident because of his dangerous driving, i believe FIA is waiting for someone to DIE before giving mag a penalty.

Yeah definitely a dodgy late move from Magnusson but I have to say I enjoy watching him and his no nonsense style both in the cockpit and out. That one was a bit too much though.

It is high time for Magnusson to receive a two race ban for un-sportsman-like conduct.
That decision is not based on this incident alone.
There have been just too many cases of intentionally dangerous driving tactics.
While I like to see him and Grosjean do well for Haas, he has been doing this nonsense for far too long and it needs addressing.
If it does not get sorted, I fear he will eventually put somebody into the wall... or worst.
It is okay to race 'hard', but it has to be fair.
I'm not seeing that from Kevin....haven't for a very long time.

Last edited:
Magnussen changed file twice - again. He was lured to the left, but went bak to the right as Leclerce was about to pass him. As Leclerce of course knew that M. was not allowed to move back.
- This is what penality is for! And it is not strange that all drivers hate Magnussen for this But the TV-camera's does not follow Magnussen to see what he is doing, in most every race. This is not fair driving, and it is not defending the legal way

Magnussen changed file twice - again. He was lured to the left, but went bak to the right as Leclerce was about to pass him. As Leclerce of course knew that M. was not allowed to move back.
- This is what penality is for! And it is not strange that all drivers hate Magnussen for this But the TV-camera's does not follow Magnussen to see what he is doing, in most every race. This is not fair driving, and it is not defending the legal way

What a load of crap. Yes I'm dane and I root for Mag, but I don't defend his mistakes. Mag moved once and is allowed to, Leclerc was sleeping. Yes, in hinsight Mag could have been patient and it was a late call, but he did not change line twice and they were not in the brakingzone. If the judges would have come to the conclusion that Mag was infact at fault, they'd penalize him even though he had to retire. Obviously they classified it as a racing incident.
Second,'all drivers'? Join the choir that Alonso started. Magnussen has taking his penalties heads up most of the time, unlike others (if they even get it, being a F1 star).
Third, you actually believe stewards use only the broadcasted TV when investigating? Sigh..

Which brings thought, that so many vote for Mag at fault, without commenting on why. It seems a very emotional voting upon the popularity Leclerc has gained, which is totally deserved.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing