Le Mans 24 Sim Race for Paediatric Cancer Research?

I had a really random idea while doing a long haul run on Euro Truck Sim 2, Sparked by a recent Minecraft marathon for charity.

Has anyone here done a sim race marathon for a charity?

I was thinking of something like a virtual Le Mans 24 hour race with the snag is we're not allowed to switch drivers... we have to all stay up and go the whole race ourselves. yes it's crazy, yes it'll be punishing, and likely a few accidents from tiredness, but the settings would be no damage, so no matter what, every racer can cross the line (unless they pass out first).

24 hours of serious pain and sleep deprivation still doesn't seem enough to me for what the poor kids with cancer have to go through, but i'd do it in a heartbeat.

i'm crap at organising this sort of stuff but am willing to take the reins if no one else with more aptitude for this sort of thing steps up.

we can switch it up if you like... if people want to drive euro truck for 24 hours, or rf2 or project cars... whatever they wanna do... or we can have a stint at each?

thoughts?

Reactions: Tom
I think I heard about a group of people playing an old game called Desert Bus for charity. :p
So it has been done, but they had driver changes.

And the other concern there is that most people have jobs. You would have to take some sick days! :p

I'd also be up for this. But I would not drive 24hrs. I remember old RDLMS boss George Talbot getting a bit pissed when drivers drove many hours there, and I understand why. Sitting too long is really not good.

good points on no driver changes. perhaps i should omit that idea to make it more appealing.

thinking for sponsorship ideas, alot of people (like marathon runners etc) like to have a donation per mile and so on... perhaps, if there is some way to record our mileage we could total it up to see how many we've all done? i dunno, something like 100,000 miles between us over the course of a weekend? so we can all hop in whenever to rack up the mileage? that would likely be more forgiving and allow more people to join.

i guess then the question would be, what game can record such data? iRacing? rFactor? Project Cars?

It's easy - add all laps up, each lap is 13.629km. Doesn't matter which sim you are using. rFactor2 would be best if a decent version of Le Mans would be available until then. Race07 / GTR2 if there's not. ;)

Well this idea died and went to heaven :(

I've had (almost*) no support for this though, which sucks.

The masochist in me still wants to do this for as long as possible though and I recently passed out at the wheel midway through a formula race (and didn't crash!) as my car limped through the finish line Senna style. So I'm definitely not without experience of running myself ragged!

honestly, i'm crap at organising this stuff. Is there anything like my suggestion I can compete in here?

*Louise Cook was courteous enough to reply to my facebook PM, as was insidesimracing.tv to my youtube PM. So I know there are people out there willing to at least acknowledge it and give support!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%