Le Mans 2017: LMP 2 Preview

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Le Mans 24 Hours 2017 - LMP2.jpg

As Le Mans 2017 approaches we review the teams and drivers taking part in the LMP 2 category of the biggest endurance race in the world.

Unlike its bigger brother in LMP1 at Le Mans, the LMP 2 Prototype category continues to be in rude health ahead of the big race this weekend. With a starting grid representing arguably the strongest turnout of established drivers in the short history of the category at the race, 24 stunning prototype cars look set to take the green flag in France, and amongst the talent on display will be several drivers with Grand Prix experience, a number of endurance and touring car race winners and some of the most established and up and coming names in long distance racing. Oh and a former World Cup winning goalkeeper too…

Some of the star names to look out for this year will be the iconic pairing of Prost and Senna driving one of the many Oreca 07 Gibson cars, as Nicolas and Bruno step into the same team to reform one of the most instantly recognizable name pairings in motorsport. Unlike their father and uncle respectively, both drivers have a healthy respect and working relationship with each other and a copy of the past McLaren fallouts of the late 80’s and early 90’s should be rather unlikely over in France.

Other noteworthy entrants in this seasons LMP2 category include Brazilian fan favourite Rubens Barrichello in the Racing for Holland outfit. Barrichello will be making his Le Mans debut this year as the driver continues to go from strength to strength following his Formula One exit at the end of 2011.

As well as the drivers taking star turns at Le Mans, the teams themselves are becoming increasingly more high profile and professional than ever before. This season will see Manor Motorsport taking to the grid with two exceptionally well presented Oreca prototypes, supporting drivers of the likes of Jean-Eric Vergne and Vitaly Petrov, both with Formula One experience and both looking to prove themselves in endurance prototype racing this season.

Other big name teams taking part in 2017 come in the form of the Jackie Chan DC Racing squad of Chinese talent Ho-Pin Tung and British star Oliver Jarvis, plus the Vaillante Rebellon Oreco 07 Gibson of Nelson Piquet Jnr, David Heinemeier Hansson and Mathias Beche who must surely be in with a chance of a strong result come race finish.

LMP2 Spotter Guide

Don't forget to check out our full Le Mans 2017 LIVE STREAM coverage of the big race. Join in and discuss the big event, share the experience with your fellow fans and sit back and relax for 24 hours of endurance sprint racing fun!

Who do you fancy for the win in LMP2? Any favourite drivers or teams you will be supporting during the event? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Rubens Barrichello drives with former F1 driver, 23 starts and one win at Le Mans veteran Jan Lammers and my boss, Frits van Eerd for Racing Team Nederland, not Racing for Holland. :)

Also, Ho-Pin Tung does the same thing as me with nationality, he's mostly Dutch and I'd say that team is the favorite for the LMP2 win.

PS: It might be worth mentioning that the new LMP2 cars are 12+ seconds faster than the old ones. ;)

Much respect for Jan Lammers. 61 Years old and still going strong. Incredible.
And Barrichello as team mate.
Racing Team Nederland definitely my favourite.

Unfortunately it appears if you don't have an ORECA, you won't be winning anything. The Ligier is no where in low downforce spec, and the Dallara was a complete mess in low downforce. Some of the Dallaras have even gone back to the non-LM aero for the rest of the weekend. It's amazing how far off those cars off.

I'm rooting for a Rebellion win, but G-Drive (the 26 one specifically), Manor and JC DC Racing are all possible winners too.

Oh man this hurts almost as much as the Toyota retirements...

#13 disqualified for cutting holes in the bodywork. They planned on covering the hole at the final pitstop but forgot it seems.

They tried to cover it up in Parc Ferme (as they knew it could cause a problem) but were noticed by the stewards.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/06/19/13-rebellion-oreca-disqualified-rusinov-penalised.html

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/141586-stewards-dq-lm24-p2-podium-finisher

Seriously tough on the team, I can understand the cutting of holes in the bodywork to improve cooling could be seen as being trying to gain an advantage but this was purely to start the car, they knew they would get picked up on it after the race so feel really bad for them. I would hate to be the chief mechanic on that car right now...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 373 16.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.1%