LB rating and self-esteem

Does anybody know if a newly downrating in the LB competition is intended?
Eventhough I have generally upped my position.:unsure:
And I can furthermore see that my rating in the car where Im fastest have the lowest rating.
Oh you good people in the Sector3 Studios it hurts a lot in my self-esteem:barefoot::barefoot::barefoot:

Rank-A-B.jpg

OK.
Thank you very much - that explains a lot.
So the faster BrunoB with a rank of B is what? - against a slower BrunoB with a rank of A?
Or does the ranking dont relate to the avg faster slower?:sneaky:

@Ross Garland
I dont know what you mean with blurb.
But if it has something to do with my pic then it show that I in the same series(FR90) is both classified with A and B rating at the same time.
And my joke about my self-esteem was because I suddenly became downrated from A to B eventhough I made a new run (much) faster than before.

@Majuh
Thank you for your link.
Because reading Ortners explanation I suddenly realise that this rating is now solely dependent of participating in the socalled competitions - where before this change it was based on BOTH leaderboards and competitions.
If Im right in this interpretation then the downrating could be because its very seldom I participate in competitions because Im more interested in tweaking setups for leaderboards - and therefore the rating algoritm couldnt care less if BrunoB solely upped his leaderboard time.:)

I dont know what you mean with blurb.
Haha, sorry, Brit slang. :) I mean that I missed the official information explaining what LB rankings are and how they are decided, ie, what stats. I know they were added ages ago, but I didn't have enough interest at the time to read up on them. So I'm wondering if someone can explain it for me.

@Majuh
Thank you for your link.
Because reading Ortners explanation I suddenly realise that this rating is now solely dependent of participating in the socalled competitions - where before this change it was based on BOTH leaderboards and competitions.
If Im right in this interpretation then the downrating could be because its very seldom I participate in competitions because Im more interested in tweaking setups for leaderboards - and therefore the rating algoritm couldnt care less if BrunoB solely upped his leaderboard time.:)
You haven't been downrated, you are on rank A right now which is the best rank there is. This time attack ranking has always only considered your performance in competitions. Before the ranks were introduced, both leaderboards and competitions were divided into leaderboard divisions.

@Majuh
Yhanks for your further explanation:thumbsup:
Hehe then I have misinterpreeted my rating until now.
Because I solely participated in LB for about 1 year and then suddenly from nothing(grey) was rated A.
Nice I thought at that time - the rating algoritm has suddenly found BrunoB:roflmao:
But after your explanation I think that my abrubt introduction with an A was (partly) because I at the same time tried the VW electric thing with initially inside the 300-400 position (haha near Nicki Thiimmy).:roflmao:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: Maybe I should try a pair of (single player) competitions again to maybe be uprated to A+ or A++:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
This RaceRoom ranking system is weird. When I start driving just finished Suzuka FR90 competion I didn't have any ranking status letters but after that competion I have letter A, is that normal? See before and after pictures.

Before (no ranking)
NoRanking.jpg

After (Ranking A)
Ranking.jpg

So is it that easy, I never have had ranking C or Ranking B status, but now I have status A??? Can I keep this same ranking forever?

I think even Ortner in the mentioned link will have a hard time to fully explain the calculation behind this ranking system - because (at least as I "understand" it) the ranking in some mysterious way merge plain LB participation AND Competition LB participation.
Thats also the reason the discussion in the mentioned link does reveal that some of the posters are pretty unsure of Ortners "explanation" but decide to say okok.:sneaky:

I almost exclusively play the leaderboards for offline racing as it is a good challenge. I was getting really annoyed, though, with the constant mis-shifts on the down changes with my H pattern shifter. I think it is to do with the LBs being set to no damage and there being a downshift protection over ride that won't allow jump shifts such as 4th to 2nd. Bit daft as I only drive the older H gate cars and don't want to use paddles.

@Red
You could be right about the conflict between the LBs no damage and the downshift protection.:thumbsup:
Im also solely participating in the LB mode - but for me there are days where I close raceroom down pretty annoyed:mad: about how the game sometimes shifts down from G2 to neutral or from G3 to G1 - but then the next second dont allow to shift down from as example G2 to G1 because this shift is part of a bam-bab-bam sequence from G4 to G3 to G2 to G1 - where the 2 first shifts are allowed but the 3rd blocked.
In frustration I have saved replays of a lot of these shift events hehe to no use - but my conclusion is that Raceroom have a bug in this area.:rolleyes:

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: No - changing the double shift prevention lag doesnt help anything - does only make shifts sloooower.:laugh:

I think it is to do with the LBs being set to no damage and there being a downshift protection over ride that won't allow jump shifts such as 4th to 2nd.
Yes and no. You're correct in assuming that there is downshift protection when damage is disabled, which indeed it is in LB mode. But that doesn't stop you from skipping gears. It only means that before a lower gear can engage, you have to have slowed down to a speed that puts the lower gear in safe revs for that gear. So you have to slow down more before trying to engage 2nd gear when you're coming from 4th f.e.

This method is used to ensure that engine braking is not being abused in a scenario where the gearbox cannot be damaged.

Yes and no. You're correct in assuming that there is downshift protection when damage is disabled, which indeed it is in LB mode. But that doesn't stop you from skipping gears. It only means that before a lower gear can engage, you have to have slowed down to a speed that puts the lower gear in safe revs for that gear. So you have to slow down more before trying to engage 2nd gear when you're coming from 4th f.e.

This method is used to ensure that engine braking is not being abused in a scenario where the gearbox cannot be damaged.
You are principally right in your description of the function of the downshift protection - if it was working as it ideally should.
In my undocumentated post above:) I do mention that I have a suspicion there is a bug in this function.

But a comment to your description is that to the best of my knowledge there is no difference between how hard this downshift protection works even if you in as example Practice mode does set the damage to ON.
The downshift protection cannot be disabled or "lightened"!
Even if you as example run a historic car which in RL didnt have any downshift protection(FR90 & NissanR90 & Porsche 962).

CatsAreTheWorstDogs: I would love if this mandatory downshift protection could be set to OFF like in good old NR2003 where the gearbox got gradually damaged (loss of gears) if you mistreated it by shifting down too abrubt. IE without waiting until RPM was equalised to the lower gear.:inlove:

I almost exclusively play the leaderboards for offline racing as it is a good challenge. I was getting really annoyed, though, with the constant mis-shifts on the down changes with my H pattern shifter. I think it is to do with the LBs being set to no damage and there being a downshift protection over ride that won't allow jump shifts such as 4th to 2nd. Bit daft as I only drive the older H gate cars and don't want to use paddles.
I skip gears most of the time with my H-gate shifter, either in competitions or leaderboards, and I think that missed downshifts happen when my heel-and-toe is not perfect. I use to downshift from 5th to 1st at the end of the straight at the Norisring with many vintage cars and it works if it's well done (not always, of course!).

I think that ICYHOT is correct: it will allow skip shifts but only within a limited rpm range. I run all sessions with damage enabled and rarely have any miss shifts, however, on the LBs it's a constant occurrence, usually going from 4th to 2nd. I do tend to use engine braking a lot and redline the XXXX out of it - if it worked for Senna and Schumacher then I want some too. I could wait a fraction longer and do just the one shift, but who has the time for all that in this day and age, lol:whistling:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 460 39.2%