Lauda Back in Hospital

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Niki-Lauda-3.jpg

Niki Lauda is back in hospital following lung transplant surgery, the feisty Austrian is understood to have contracted flu during the festive holiday period.

Lauda, 69, spent almost three months in recovery at Austria's AKH Hospital following his lung transplant surgery back in August last year, but has seen been considered fit enough to complete the long recuperation period at his Austrian home. Unfortunately, it appears that the 3-time Formula One World Champion has suffered complications in his recovery, contracting a flu bug that was considered serious enough to remit the Mercedes none executive chairman to the care of the AKH hospital staff.

With Lauda unable to fight off illness and infection as effectively as a fully fit 69-year-old, doctors have taken the precaution of keeping the former champion under the care of the hospital to ensure further complications don't occur while in such a vulnerable state.

It is not thought Lauda's condition is serious, and further updates remain unavailable at this time.

For more from the world of Formula One, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with fellow fans of the top level of open wheel motorsport.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Yes, it it always scary to hear someone is back at the hospital, especially after the big surgery he had last summer… and of course what he endured in 76! But hopefully he is in good hands and they will take good care of him. He is still young! Whishing him a speedy recovery! :thumbsup:

Who knew this fighter will be still fighting even near his 70s? i hope we can see him in the paddock for 2019 season.

it seems he was at Ibiza again, his first lung infection (that lead to his transplant surgery) happened to him was in Ibiza too! i don't know anyhting about ibiza, is Flu that common there or it was just bad luck?

Who knew this fighter will be still fighting even near his 70s? i hope we can see him in the paddock for 2019 season.

it seems he was at Ibiza again, his first lung infection (that lead to his transplant surgery) happened to him was in Ibiza too! i don't know anyhting about ibiza, is Flu that common there or it was just bad luck?
Having surgery of the lungs makes them sensitive i guess while healing plus Ibiza is a tourist place so lots of people from many different countries coming there brining probably a larger range of viruses etc. Im not a doctor so i might talk out of my butt, but maybe there is something to it.

I wouldn't say Ibiza has anything to do with his health problems. Especially not in the part of Ibiza he'd be living in, far from the nightlife.

He may even be living in Ibiza because of his health problems, it's hotter and dryer than Europe, I'm going off half remembered things here but I believe that kind of weather is better for people with breathing difficulties. Could be wrong.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 114 13.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 87 9.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 81 9.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 57 6.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 119 13.6%