Latest Windows update screwed up icons and text (solved)

After the (windows 10) update last night, the text and icons are all corrupted. In order to be able to read anything I have had to reduce the resolution to 1920 x 1080, rather than the monitor (Benq) native 2569 x 1440.

I have tried the restore default text, uninstalled and reinstalled the GP drivers (an Nvidia 1060 card), tried the registry fixes and image cleanup using the command prompt. I even went to the system restore to go to a previous version only to find that the only version available is the current one deemed a 'critical' update.

Even the little icons in the bottom right hand corner in the task bar are messed up.

It was all fine before the update, and now it's totally screwed. Am I really facing reinstalling Windows?

Cheers

Les

What version of Win10 are you using?
I'm on 1903 (18362.30) and that seems very stable.
The reason I ask is because 18875.1000 update seems to be failing to install for a few people.
Just wondering if you got that and it has an issue.

• Deleted member 197115

Check Windows scaling settings.

Sorry for the late reply, I was called away at short notice for work travel.

I am sure I checked the scaling thing but once I get back this evening will have another look

Thanks

Cheers

I doubt it is incompatibility
You never answered Terry's question which version of W10
I would think a fresh W10 1809 will fix it

I had a weird one yesterday mucking about with colour ( i will never touch it again )
Setting up 32" 1440p and 40" TV 1080p so I can use either properly
It turned the 40" yellows to greens
I tried everything uninstalled drivers reset registry and settings, nothing worked..... only a fresh OS

Well, it continues to be a weird one, but I solved it. I tried the monitor on another completely different PC that the monitor had previously worked fine with, also running Win 10, and it did exactly the same. Checked the setting, updated the GPU drivers, nothing. Then, out of sheer bloodymindedness, I changed the input cable (having already swapped the DVI cable for another for troubleshooting) to an HDMI cable, and presto, all good.

I know that both PC's were set up to have Win auto update enabled (minus those bloatware updates that widows tries to foist on you) so both have the same update level. I can't explain why it used to work with the DVI cable and now doesn't but at least now I have a solution, and one that I can put up here as something others can try if necessary.

Hope this helps someone

Les

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 350 28.2%