Paul Jeffrey

Premium
rF2 Brabham BT44 B 3.png

rFactor 2 developers Studio 397 have recently updated both the Zandvoort circuit and Brabham BT44b Formula One car.

Not content with resting on their laurels following a successful run of announcements and content releases at the 2018 Sim Racing Expo, Studio 397 have remained hard at work back at base as they bring two useful updates to existing pieces of content for the simulation.

Having showcased the impressive looking new version of Zandvoort during the historic McLaren Grand Prix car announcements over in Germany, the developers have now deployed another update to the Dutch circuit that brings Zandvoort to version 0.35, and with it moves another step closer to aligning the track with the current rFactor 2 standards.

Most noticeable change from the update deployed on Saturday must surely be the inclusion of a first pass at accommodating the new weather effects in rFactor 2, however it is expected that has development of this track continues, further enhancements to how the circuit copes with the recently much improved weather conditions will be brought over to this increasingly enjoyable free track addition.

The Zandvoort update wasn't the only change to existing rF2 content in the last few days, on Friday Studio 397 released a new version of the historic Brabham Formula One car, upgrading the historic racer to version 2.06 with a small update focussing on improving the current collision model.

You can see the full change log for both items below:

Brabham BT44 V2.06 (updated 28/09/2018)
rF2 Brabham BT44 B.jpg

• Updated the collision model.
  • Added a template.

Zandvoort 2017 V0.35 (updated 29/09/2018)
rF2 Zandvoort.jpg

• Added basic weather files to all layouts
  • Added Medium rrbin for the GP layout
  • Removed 2 legacy SCN from the GMT folder
  • Removed legacy RRBIN files

rFactor 2 is available exclusively for PC from Steam now.

Check out the rFactor 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for all the latest news and discussion with regards to the simulation. You can take part in lively debates with fellow rFactor 2 fans and take part in some great Club and League racing events..! Head over to the forum now!

Like what you see at RaceDepartment? Follow us on social media!

What do you think of the latest versions of Zandvoort and the Brabham BT44B Grand Prix car? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Common sense, using your mirrors, and the linear track position
Not in all situations, though. I personally find the linear track position nearly useless for rejoining, because you can't really tell where exactly the car is, especially if there's a lot of cars running fairly close together, and you don't always see the track in the mirrors. So a track map, preferably one with a zoom feature, can be invaluable at times.

And, to answer the original question...SimHub can be used for track maps, though I'm not sure if you can make a rotating one (you probably can, there's little that can't be done with SimHub).

Not in all situations, though. I personally find the linear track position nearly useless for rejoining, because you can't really tell where exactly the car is, especially if there's a lot of cars running fairly close together, and you don't always see the track in the mirrors.

Have you tried using look left/look right/look behind?

Marcel has already said that no official support is going to be offered over and above the SteamVR implementation currently used. That's not to say that we cannot use it, just that they aren't responsible if you break your game. Go join the Discord channel for rF2, there is a lot of discussion about it over there. Nice group.

Re the track map. I don't care what you use, just don't smash into me on a hot lap when leaving pits because you're stubborn to use things that provide awareness we may not otherwise posses as SIM racers. Not every title has a proper real time leader board to show where cars are on the track at all times. I don't use the track map but that's not to say I won't if it means that other peoples races are going to be safer and of higher quality. Does that mean that in a single screen, we do not use the virtual mirror, even if we cannot see the real mirrors of the car due to FOV, seat position, screen size, etc?

What people do offline is their business. When you race online with others you have a responsibility to not be a liability to others and their race. You only need to bind a button to switch it on for a couple of seconds. Then turn it off when back on track. Simple.

Marcel has already said that no official support is going to be offered over and above the SteamVR implementation currently used. That's not to say that we cannot use it, just that they aren't responsible if you break your game. Go join the Discord channel for rF2, there is a lot of discussion about it over there. Nice group.

Re the track map. I don't care what you use, just don't smash into me on a hot lap when leaving pits because you're stubborn to use things that provide awareness we may not otherwise posses as SIM racers. Not every title has a proper real time leader board to show where cars are on the track at all times. I don't use the track map but that's not to say I won't if it means that other peoples races are going to be safer and of higher quality. Does that mean that in a single screen, we do not use the virtual mirror, even if we cannot see the real mirrors of the car due to FOV, seat position, screen size, etc?

What people do offline is their business. When you race online with others you have a responsibility to not be a liability to others and their race. You only need to bind a button to switch it on for a couple of seconds. Then turn it off when back on track. Simple.
How do i set SS higher using the option DDL ?

Go to the Github page where you get the .dll and there is a little guide that tells you. You need to create a file with notepad and save it as an .ini file. There are commands in there to enable sound without using the Oculus headphones (I wear earbuds) and also to increase the SS.

I'll keep checking in with this one.
Looks to have potential benefits...but did not work for me.
Switching out the file, I experienced much shorter loading times (no 'zzzz' on the cursor). I was under the steering wheel once in the car though.
This happened once before and I was able to solve it by doing the VR room calibration.
This time despite it saying all was complete, it would not cure that situation.
I replaced the file with the saved original and everything went back to normal.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back