F1 2011 latest AMD drivers killed frame rate

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
I updated my GPU drivers earlier and found that it totally wrecked the frame rate. before installing, I was getting 60fps average with a lowest recording of 58 with most things set to ultra.

after updating to 12.8, it has more than halved to an average of 26, with a lowest of 19 with no settings being changed.

the game was totally awful to play so I fully installed and went back to the previous version I had installed, but found out that it didn't fix it. I even tried doing a system restore to a few days ago, but this didn't help either.

any ideas why this is happening? I'd understand it if it was just the latest drivers, but a clean uninstall/reinstall and a system restore didn't correct it.

Might be DirectX related - if you re-install the game through Steam it should also run the first time setup once more, installing the appropriate DX version as well.

Certainly won't make anything worse. :)

• Deleted member 90535

On the installation disc there is a folder called Redist, and then DirectX. Inside it, there is a dxsetup. Enjoy;)

well, I gave that a try and it didn't solve it. the more I see, the more I think it's the same old crossfire issue that originally beset the game. during the main menu with the people walking back and forth, it is fine, but as soon as the loading screen appears to take me into a session, the fps drops from 60 to :inlove:0.

I just can't understand why doing a fresh reinstall of the drivers that fixed it have not done so this time.

well, I gave that a try and it didn't solve it. the more I see, the more I think it's the same old crossfire issue that originally beset the game. during the main menu with the people walking back and forth, it is fine, but as soon as the loading screen appears to take me into a session, the fps drops from 60 to :inlove:0.

I just can't understand why doing a fresh reinstall of the drivers that fixed it have not done so this time.

Maybe there's something left and the new drivers still cause trouble, even tho they're not entirely active anymore. Just strange that it's still happening after you did a system restore.

if anything was left over, driver fusion and ccleaner didn't detect it, because I ran both those programs after uninstalling the drivers & software, and they deleted everything they found before I went back to the drivers I had previously.

this has totally ruined the game for me, moreso than the annoying errors that came with the game itself.

I know it's not a fix as such, but have you tried disabling crossfire anyway. Because in crossfire mode this game runs in dx9, on a single card it runs in dx11.

I used to use 2xHD5770's (I now have a single HD7950), but when I disabled crossfire, I got marginally better fps than I had with 2 cards.

Personally I uninstalled 12.8 too, and went back to 12.6, because of texture flashing in another game .....

When I uninstalled 12.8, I removed everything EXCEPT the USB filter drivers, rebooted, then re-installed 12.6.

I made the mistake once of using the uninstall ALL option, and that was a big error, because it removed the USB filter drivers, so I had no mouse or keyboard after the reboot, as they are USB devices ....... doh!

I had to use a boot disk to get access to the restore point, and get my usb drivers back.

I know it's not a fix as such, but have you tried disabling crossfire anyway. Because in crossfire mode this game runs in dx9, on a single card it runs in dx11.

I used to use 2xHD5770's (I now have a single HD7950), but when I disabled crossfire, I got marginally better fps than I had with 2 cards.

Personally I uninstalled 12.8 too, and went back to 12.6, because of texture flashing in another game .....

When I uninstalled 12.8, I removed everything EXCEPT the USB filter drivers, rebooted, then re-installed 12.6.

I made the mistake once of using the uninstall ALL option, and that was a big error, because it removed the USB filter drivers, so I had no mouse or keyboard after the reboot, as they are USB devices ....... doh!

I had to use a boot disk to get access to the restore point, and get my usb drivers back.

my card is internally crossfired so can't be disabled manually. I did create a new profile in CCC for F1 2011 and disabled it from there, that didn't fix it. I also gave radeon pro another try as it worked at fixing the frame rate issue before AMD addressed it, but again, that didn't fix it either. no matter what I do, I can't really get above 30fps.

at it's lowest, it's a terrible 19fps, and only averages out at about 24-25.

You don't mention what card(s) you are using. I don't know what you mean by 'internally crossfired'. Do I take that to mean that you are using a single card that has 2 gpu's?.

Either way, it seems that you have done what you can, and I doubt that there is anything I can suggest that would help.

Apart from suggesting that you perhaps post over at the guru3d forum, you can often get very good technical info from the guys over there.

Good luck :)

http://forums.guru3d.com/index.php

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 364 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%