Laser scanned Spa??

Was watching a car comparison (mecedes f1 W12) between 3 games and I found this, which is just one of the examples:
1639591858483.png

1639592041768.png

Last edited:
Old scan version, I believe from pre 2012

The bottom picture looks like a rl photo of a LMP car.
What game is that? ;)

It's also alot cheaper and easier for the developers to update curbing/track layout on non laser scanned tracks.
Ex Raceroom is pretty good for doing this.

One of the downfalls for iRacing having so many laser scanned tracks from around the world. Tho in the last yr they have been slowly updating some of the older tracks on the service. Ex Watkins Glen was just updated in last week's build.

Last edited:
Old scan version, I believe from pre 2012

The bottom picture looks like a rl photo of a LMP car.
What game is that? ;)

It's also alot cheaper and easier for the developers to update curbing/track layout on non laser scanned tracks.
Ex Raceroom is pretty good for doing this.

One of the downfalls for iRacing having so many laser scanned tracks from around the world. Tho in the last yr they have been slowly updating some of the older tracks on the service. Ex Watkins Glen was just updated in last week's build.
I really don't get it why iRacing is not updating their tracks.
You don't need to rescan the whole track if they just changed some curbs.
But they are to busy releasing new tracks to make money instead of upgrading the old ones.
Some new shaders here and there, sometimes some advertisements.
But keeping a track to current specs is to much work probably.

Last edited:
I really don't get it why iRacing is not updating their tracks.
You don't need to rescan the whole track if they just changed some curbs.
But they are to busy releasing new tracks to make money instead of upgrading the old ones.
Some new shaders here and there, sometimes some advertisements.
But keeping a track to current specs is to much work probably.
Now I'm not arguing, it would be nice to update some of the older tracks.

That being said, I tried attaching a document from the iracing form listing all the details in every build since the beginning of time....but apparently, it's too large?

Anyways just scrolling through the track portion of release notes in the past yr......there have been 4 rescanned tracks and many tracks have had, banner, advertising, lighting, shaders, PBR shaders, night lighting, night shadows and texture updates, along with small updates to track surfaces and surrounding track objects.
So that shows they have been improving older tracks while still releasing new ones.

From a business standpoint, what makes more sense and would be a priority......release new tracks that run in the current RL and fill in-game series and make money or hold back new track releases to update some old curbs?

You can find the "Every build note since the beginning of time" thread under Staff announcements on the iracing form

Last edited:
With laser scanned tracks (real surface laser scan not helicopter flying over LIDAR scans) you need to at least re-scan the portions of the track that have changed in order to ensure you get it right to the mm. You can't just say "well they moved the curbing 2m to the left - that's easy" when, for sure, a lot of other subtle changes in that area also happened to allow that curbing to be moved. It takes time, people, and money to update tracks - in some cases almost as much as creating the original track in the first place if there have been enough changes.

With laser scanned tracks (real surface laser scan not helicopter flying over LIDAR scans) you need to at least re-scan the portions of the track that have changed in order to ensure you get it right to the mm. You can't just say "well they moved the curbing 2m to the left - that's easy" when, for sure, a lot of other subtle changes in that area also happened to allow that curbing to be moved. It takes time, people, and money to update tracks - in some cases almost as much as creating the original track in the first place if there have been enough changes.

And this was the biggest issue with Silverstone for a couple of games wasn't it? When they did the scan on the 1st resurfacing (the :poop: one) and some games like iR used the 2nd resurfacing (the better one)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 289 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 193 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 250 13.3%