F1 2010 Larger screen = better driving?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Just moved the familys PS3 from one of the boys room to the livingroom. Than meant going from 27" (Full HD) to 46" (full HD).
Tried two circuits and noticed that it was much easier to get my braking markers right. I could see the signs etc. that I use for braking markers much earlier, and at some corners I even found new better reference objects that I could not hardly see on the smaller screen.

I use a playseat with pedals. With the 27", I noticed that I played better with the screen really close, and I put the monitor on a piano stool with my legs underneath to get as close as possible. But still I see a lot more details with the larger screen when I sit with the pedals right infront of the TV.

Anyone else got similar experience changing to a larger screen size?

I went from originally playing on the family 40" TV to an old portable 14" on the table so I could race anytime rather than just if the TV aws not being used. I didn't notice too much difference but it makes perfect sense that the bigger screen gives a better view of markers, etc. Might connect it all up again to the 40" soon just to see.

Funnily enough I went from a 32" LCD to a £20 second hand old style TV for family reasons. I sit pretty much with my feet against the base. I went faster but I think it was the (square) shape rather than size made it easier to look to apex under brakes.

What abour 3 monitors (I never tried that since I play on PS3)?
Looks really cool, but does it also help to imrove the driving?

I know it helps in Forza 3 but since I'm on the xBox I haven't been able to use them with Formula 1. By providing a wider field of view you can look to the sides and see the apex of sharp turns sooner and clearer and that improves your cornering accuracy. It also helps to see cars to your side, especially in Forza because your side mirrors actually work.
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x139/Walt4321/Forza Equipment/ViejoViewBrighter.jpg

3 monitors helps the clean racing part, if its in cockpit theres not a huge amount more you can see, you get to see the mirrors in full so way better there and I do use them but not alot, I have the marker arrows on so they probably make me lazy on the mirrors. If your running T-cam you can expect a massive boost in performance and clean racing as you will be able to see a much wider view and as a result anyone making a move on you.

I would recommend 3 monitors to anyone, however there is a downside which is it does get some getting used to theres far much more information for you yourself to take in (especially in cockpit even if your not really looking at the side monitors this has actually made me worse in battlefield bad company 2 just down to the sheer amount of view I have now to cover where as I would just turn the view faster and concentrate on 1 screen fully im now turning much slower to take everything in and as a result my reflexes have degraded).

So in the end its down to 1 thing.

Are you capable of receiving lots of information 3x more than normal and still make the same calls int he same amount of time because if not I wouldnt recommend it.

Not to mention the strain its gonna put on your graphics card, your looking at needing over 100fps for what you have now for f1 to be able to run f1 at something comfortable like 50-60fps afterwards (again not to mention recording too).

Well - this may not quite fit the topic in regards to F1, but I was racing rFactor on a 32" screen (1200x768) at a distance of about 3m.

I now have a Projector (xga, 1024x768) with a 84" screen at a distance of 2.5m, and I am much better driver. I have lost 176 pixels of width, but having a screen that fills your vision more makes your reactions and movement more proportional.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 331 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 462 39.2%