laptop question from a noob

Hello, I need help setting getting an appropriate laptop to start iracing as a noob. i'm a mac guy, but have to get a pc laptop to run iracing. i'm trying to keep it on the cheap (as i use macs) and the laptop i'm looking at has a non-dedicated video card. It's the Intel HD ( i think it's the 2000).
Here's the rest of the spec of the laptop.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Specifications:[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64bit)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Processor: Intel® Pentium P6200 processor (2.13 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache, 1066 MHz FSB)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Memory: 4 GB (2 GB x 2): DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM dual-channel memory[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Display: 15.6" Crystal View WXGA HD Display[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Graphics: Intel® HD graphics with up to 1.6 GB of shared graphics[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hard Drive: 320 GB Serial ATA 5400 rpm hard drive[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Optical Drive: Dual-Layer, Multi-Format DVD Writer[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Communications: Gigabit Ethernet LAN, Atheros XSPAN® BGN (802.11BGN) wireless, Integrated Bluetooth V2.1[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Ports: One 15-pin D-SUB connector for VGA external monitor, One HDMI jack, Three USB 2.0 (Universal Serial Bus) connectors for input/output devices, One LAN (RJ-45) connector; One stereo headphone/line-out jack, One stereo micropho

I ask the question here because I'm getting conflicting advice from the computer shop on whether or not this will work for the iracing. Would this be sufficient to run the program or is it worth it to spend a few hundred dollars more to get a "gaming" set up? Anyone have experience running the program on basic non-dedicated memory?
I also was hoping to connect the laptop to a larger screen.
Hope anyone can help.

PS: if a laptop is a bad idea, please post! thanks!

[/FONT]

Agreed, especially with crappy Intel graphics. Not even the new Intel chip that has the GPU with the CPU, that's the old seperate chip junk.

In other words, it won't meet the iRacing 2.0 Minimum specs. Which call for at least ATI 9700 Pro or nVidia 6600 discrete card with 128MB of Ram and Pixel Shader 2.0. So it would be a waste of Money.

My Wife has the same Laptop as Kakha, it runs everything very nicely and they aren't even very expensive for what you get. There are newer versions of it out now with upgraded graphics, usb 3.0, etc.

If you want cheaper, you'd be MUCH better off getting a PC.

I have a friend that bought a used/refurbished core2 PC for under $300 and he runs iRacing just fine.He just turns a few graphics down.

I have a big$ high end PC that does everything but cut french fries but you don't need one to run iracing.Have a look on craigs list (or similar site) for some deals.

Thanks everyone for your honest help. Looks like i'll return the unopened laptop. (So close!) i was hoping for a laptop as the other reason i needed it was for a pc program that i needed portable. If i must build a tower, i will. just more of a delay to get started. thanks again all and see you farther in the future. cheers

why don't u get dual boor on mac then u can also run iracing with that?

i played iracing on a laptop for a year, then i was getting tired of the heating issue
after playing more then 1h it started to freeze for a few seconds

that was my cue to build me a new pc :p

I 've raced iRacing on my MacBook pro for over a year without any problems. Just use Bootcamp and install Windows, works perfect.
I haven't had any overheating problems so far. And iRacing works perfect, although my laptop is from 2008. I'm using medium settings and the game looks good. I don't know what Mac you have, but if it is more recent then mine everything should work just fine.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 376 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%