LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
ok, i have sent an e-mail to LEMAX and i have offered him 500$ to help you to add grass/trees and object like his tracks.
I'm afraid that is not the point and I don't expect lemax to help him, not because he doesn't want to but rather because he knows that @Phoenix77 wants to do it by himself in the time he wants to make it. Or not. But it is his project on which only him should ask for help if he needs help.
Although your offer of donation is nice but it misses the point

Look at it this way, right now @Phoenix77 is trying to make his baby. Him and his wife (3dsmax or whatever her name is) are working at it whenever he has spare time and the energy, looking forward to whenever it happens.

Now you're also really keen for this baby to arrive.

What you've suggested is to pay Ron Jeremy $500 to come in and stick thousands of little objects in his wife to speed up the process. It wouldn't really be his baby any more, would it? ;)

If he wants some help, he'll ask who he wants for some help, he'll speak to Dr. Lilski or whoever.

@ltcars and @Shigeno427 Thanks for explaining that so well :D
And for saving me the time to have to use any more key-presses than I really wanted to... I hope Ron doesn't live in the California area... Those are not the kind of polys I want to work with! :roflmao:

Oh and my wife's name is 3DS Maxine lol

Last edited:
A higher resolution (4k) overview of the scale of this project :)
180402_lac_preview.jpg

To get some idea of scale... the central mountain range is 14km's across.

Last edited:
your work is nice but :
- your project seems too much big for you, 1 year after, you haven't change from 0.3 to 0.4 = you could finish this map for 2024 , really !!
-You add roads, instead of finishing the first main road....
-Like i said, you need to focus on the main things, why don't you finish only the main 43km track, with grass trees and objetcs ?
- and now you announce that you will make 150km, so that's why your project is never finished.

GTR3 is a vaporware, i'm affraid we could add one more in the list :)
Well, if you finish one day your work, and AC is installed on my computer (i doubt), you will deserve a very good donation.
You seem to know a lot about modding. Do you mind showing off your stunning work? It would probably inspire Phoenix to make his work as good as yours, you know, since you know so much about track building.

Just another "Knows everything, but contributes nothing." person. Isn't the first and unfortunately, won't be the last.

Anyway, I'm enjoying seeing & reading about the progress. :thumbsup::)

One thing I will say is...
With any online freeroam version... Anyone who has trouble meeting up with their friends on Pacific Coast...
Will probably lose their friends on this one! :D
Yeah, you'd need a special map to find people, something that gets more abstract, like that TXR game EmptyBox streams that shows you where in the loop other cars are but isn't showing every detail of the layout.

Police officers are going to have a hard time chasing bad guys... but I'm ready to hunt them down anyway!
On the "Full" version... the bad guys will have plenty of places to disappear. It's going to be fun though.It can take 7 or 8 minutes just to reach the main loop.

ok I'm sorry, i let you work.
That's ok, apology accepted :)
You just didn't understand how modding and these projects work.

Anyway, I'm enjoying seeing & reading about the progress. :thumbsup::)
Thanks mate, it's all cool... Some people don't understand how modding works is all, glad you're enjoying following the progress mate :)

Okay, I think we can let this drop now and let Phoenix77 get back to work:)
Cheers Kenny, for keeping this thread on track.. literally :)
Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Yeah, you'd need a special map to find people, something that gets more abstract, like that TXR game EmptyBox streams that shows you where in the loop other cars are but isn't showing every detail of the layout.
Yeah that's a great idea Nick... Abstract could be cool... as the black dots on the normal map would give away positions too much. It's a shame in servers that you couldn't ban certain things from working... Like disabling map use for certain cars etc... So any one being pursued can't see where the police are.

And some kind of "Test Drive" radar trap for the police :D

Btw... Thanks for your most awesome Stereo JoyCam mod... It's coming in extremely handy atm... I have saved replays... to save the driving time... and use your awesome mod to recon areas. :thumbsup: Perfect for anyone making videos!

And great work on your 70's Police Interceptor mod in progress :)

Some more random screens of developments...
This gorgeous Mustang always loved the Canyons... It loves it now even more!

The passing lane section of Upper Big T...
Screenshot_a3dr_boss302_laguna_seca_la_canyons_2-4-118-22-57-33.jpg

Angeles Crest - On the main loop. You'll notice in the distance the San Gabriel peak... And to the right of it... the slightly lower... and hilariously named... Mount Disappointment :D
Screenshot_a3dr_boss302_laguna_seca_la_canyons_2-4-118-23-21-36.jpg

The massive parking area at the peak of Mount Wilson... (forget the UV repetition, it's not made to be viewable from above)
Screenshot_a3dr_viper_rt10_la_canyons_1-4-118-23-10-40.jpg

And a view of the downhill section of Mount Wilson Red Box Rd...
Screenshot_a3dr_viper_rt10_la_canyons_1-4-118-23-12-25.jpg

Hey Phoenix, first i want to thank you for this big effort, im deffinetly not a modder but i've been trying to do some stuff for a year (on and off, cant find the free time between IRL stuff, job, simracing etc) and i know how much time consuming this is.

Also i would like to know if there will be separate layouts, im asking this because the first version of the canyons doesnt have the shaking FFB effect for me, i assume its because the terrain is not as big as other tracks (example: glencoe) but with 115km im pretty sure the terrain is bigger. Is there any work around this? or its simply a limitation with current AC engine?

Yeah mate, time is the tough thing to find... especially when I'm learning as I go... which takes even more time... And results in more trial and error.

I think to start off with there will be three layouts... Normal / Reverse.. and for those with the extra roads... a 50 - 60 slot Free Roam.

The physics shaking thing seems to happen after around 9 - 10km's from the track models origin point 0,0,0 so I won't be putting any start locations at the far ends of the roads... in with the main track download... I may add some extra layouts as optional download (for those with the extra roads)... With a disclaimer about the physics shaking thing... So if people want to use them they can... If not they don't have to.

The furthest point from the origin is either the top (Newcombs Ranch) of Angeles Crest... Or the L.A end of Big Tujunga... at around 14km's from origin. The main loop at most gets 7kms from origin.

Due to the way these Californian roads double back on themselves very very frequently... Which is the reason why I'm doing them...
The distance isn't "as the crow flys"....
There are limitations with the AC engine... But it's doing alright I'd say. There isn't a way around the track size shaking thing... It's just how it is.

As I posted in the Pacific Coast thread, I live 10 minutes away from these roads and am up there very frequently on my motorcycle. I have TONS of 1080P POV riding footage through every single road you have mentioned (besides Mt. Wilson, only have night footage there) and if you want it I would be happy to send it to you so you can get accurate reference of these roads. I'm also happy to help with beta testing and giving feedback, if you're open to that sort of thing. I'm not exaggerating when I say I have these roads memorized like the back of my hand. Here's a video of me riding there, and if you look through the other videos on my channel you will see plenty of other footage on these same roads.

Thanks for taking the time to model this area, as someone who goes up there all the time I can't tell you how excited I am to drive these roads in AC

Video of these roads:

As I posted in the Pacific Coast thread, I live 10 minutes away from these roads and am up there very frequently on my motorcycle. I have TONS of 1080P POV riding footage through every single road you have mentioned (besides Mt. Wilson, only have night footage there) and if you want it I would be happy to send it to you so you can get accurate reference of these roads. I'm also happy to help with beta testing and giving feedback, if you're open to that sort of thing. I'm not exaggerating when I say I have these roads memorized like the back of my hand. Here's a video of me riding there, and if you look through the other videos on my channel you will see plenty of other footage on these same roads.

Thanks for taking the time to model this area, as someone who goes up there all the time I can't tell you how excited I am to drive these roads in AC

Video of these roads:
Thanks mate, cool video, very nice ride too... and I'm not really into bikes...
Thanks a lot for the offer mate... although...
All the roads are in now and it's aligned to a 75k satellite image...
The terrain is UV'd to around a few feet over 30km's :)
As a result the corners now flow far better than 0.3... Elevations and bankings are going to be a little more vague... It's impractical to try and get all the (god knows how many, probably 1,000+ :confused:) corners accurate, as much as I'd like to!
The speeds you're going, and your angle to the horizon ;)... I might not recognise the roads anyway :roflmao:

Actual corner speeds have gone up quite noticeably despite most of the road being a few metres narrower...
With the narrower roads... more visible detail terrain textures... and the way I've done the road textures, the sense of speed has gone up considerably. To the point of being pretty scary. :D

Thanks to having a preliminary AI line & map in (thanks to a skilled, very consistent, test driver ;) ) , It's good to know that a LaFerrari can get around in just over 14mins, despite having the tricky to negotiate junctions in place.

I also have some help from very cool, very helpful, extremely talented modders, who really believe in what I'm trying to create here (not actual track modders)...
It's early days so will leave that there for now. :cool::thumbsup:

Funnily enough... I have the new Beta ;)

Angeles Crest - (L.A in the distance) unfortunately due to the physics distance limitation you won't be able to go there... But it really adds perspective to where this area is :)
Screenshot_ks_mazda_mx5_nd_la_canyons_8-4-118-5-35-7.jpg

And this is a large parking area on Angeles Crest (around 15km's from the top shot)... Upper Big T is the road on the right... with the Mount Wilson Road just visible in the distance on the left.
Screenshot_ks_audi_r8_plus_la_canyons_12-4-118-0-17-30.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 266 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 175 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 176 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 130 7.5%
  • < 5 years