LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Some other elements...
tarmac_types.jpg

From my 4k x 16k Photoshop U.S roads template with different line types etc... all layered up... so I can switch and change it up... Add this to added overlays... Should have as many combo's as I like... Here's a close in view...
tarmac_zoom.jpg

And here's a real close up photo of a 4k, 5ft tall bush....
section_of_bush_01.jpg

I will scale all these back to whatever sizes later... I like working with as HR as my computer can handle... And if anyone has a beast of a computer and wants very HR... I might make it available ;)

I haven't checked in on your projects for a while... Things are looking good. :thumbsup: :) I noticed you mention in your signature a project you're working on at the moment called The Snake. Have you created a project page for the Snake. I'm subscribed to your LA Canyons & PCH projects and I'd like to keep an eye on the 3rd project if possible. :cool:

EDIT: Nevermind. I found it...

Last edited:
@ALB123 I thought you asked me that before...? and I thought I answered... although sometimes I get way too many notifications, so I can miss things. That is just a terrain mesh at the moment... I won't start a new project (however tempted) until I get at least one of either Canyons or Pacific mostly finished. I have got some nice props ready to go... So once I get the terrain and road splines how I want them, things could hopefully accelerate.

The terrain is getting nicely smooth now... Not sure if you can see from this screen... But it's a big difference in game. :)
Screenshot_ks_toyota_celica_st185_la_canyons_1-3-118-6-14-24.jpg

And couldn't resist trying out the new road textures out...
Screenshot_ferrari_f50_la_canyons_1-3-118-0-21-48.jpg

This is just a quick test on the current version, so it's around 4m too wide... so will look far crisper when it's on the much narrower, real road width. And it's the exact same res as the current road textures, so no increase in resources... Which is good as the terrain might need some at the moment :D

That moment you watch a One Take and suddenly recognize your track!!! Awesome, also makes you realize how slow he's actually going on those roads and yet how fast it feels when you watch it. I guess a testament to how much sensation of speed created by 'objects' really makes.

Thanks for all the work man! If you need beta testers, I'm here :D

That moment you watch a One Take and suddenly recognize your track!!! Awesome, also makes you realize how slow he's actually going on those roads and yet how fast it feels when you watch it. I guess a testament to how much sensation of speed created by 'objects' really makes.

Thanks for all the work man! If you need beta testers, I'm here :D

Nice video... I take it you know that the location of that video is a way NW of my track? Similar looking terrain and road side scenery though :)
It's going to be a little while before I get the roads in.... Thanks for the offer of Beta testing... I'll decide soon after the roads go in who I'd like to test it out.

After the roads are in... I'll have to see if I've got the flow right before any objects get scattered.. and I still need to find some time to make a few more props.

Isn't there any LIDAR for that area?

Not sure mate, probably.. But....

If I was working on a normal sized track it would've been nice... but a 30km x 30km point cloud would not have gone down well on my PC.... Not to mention the time needed to a) find the Lidar data and b) work out what the hell to do with that mahoosive point cloud data :D

If I ever do a normal sized track (a few miles) then it'd be cool to experiment with Lidar...
But being unfamiliar with it... My tracks locations wouldn't be great places to start to experiment with it. Maybe one day.

Trust me though... and I'm really not someone that blows his own trumpet...
The new terrain is looking pretty damn sweet, and I can pretty much recognise exactly anywhere in Angeles Forest from the Smoking Tire One takes... even without any objects atm. It's also possible to go offroad... to the point I drove from Upper Big T... up and over the 6,200ft mountain range.. over to where the start location is... in a rally car. You'll be hard pushed to see any "pointy" terrain for miles around.

My design criteria... Is probably vastly different from other track makers... and if it wasn't... I probably wouldn't be recreating these roads in the 1st place....
I'm not going for ultra precision, most important thing is the road... then the terrain... then when I've nailed that... the objects will be the icing on the 900km² cake :D

I take it you know that the location of that video is a way NW of my track? Similar looking terrain and road side scenery though :)

All due respect but I swear that after 3-4 minutes it is your track right from the start/finish line. That first right hander, long sloping downward left to the hairpin, another right around the rocks and then opening up the...oh wait. I posted the wrong vid man.

There we go...haha :D

Still the wrong video mate :D
That's Malibu... When I get around to The Snake / Latigo Canyon Road.. then I'll have that area pretty much covered... Just goes to show how similar the L.A area looks :)

The Canyons are just North of Pasadena... More specifically Flintridge.... Trust me... I'd recognise the "god knows how many" corners of my track anywhere :p lol

All due respect but I swear that after 3-4 minutes it is your track right from the start/finish line. That first right hander, long sloping downward left to the hairpin, another right around the rocks and then opening up the...oh wait. I posted the wrong vid man.

There we go...haha :D
Angels Crest highway is a huge part of my life. I climb those roads on my road bike, I descend those mountain trails on my mountain bike, I carve those roads in my e46 or my veloster, I overnight camp at cloudburst, I even named my dog Wilson.

Pheonix has done a great job so far recreating ACH and Tujunga. That video is from malibu canyons. Those are great roads too, and they are not far from angels crest, but it's a different location.

Angels Crest highway is a huge part of my life. I climb those roads on my road bike, I descend those mountain trails on my mountain bike, I carve those roads in my e46 or my veloster, I overnight camp at cloudburst, I even named my dog Wilson.

Pheonix has done a great job so far recreating ACH and Tujunga. That video is from malibu canyons. Those are great roads too, and they are not far from angels crest, but it's a different location.

You guys know best, I been just watching too many one takes lately and can't for the life of me find that one where I recognized the road...for sure :).

E46 you say? My man...just did an engine flush and oilchange with filter yesterday aiming for the 250.000mls :)

1YrIv7Y.jpg

Really jealous of those roads you got at your doorstep!

You guys know best, I been just watching too many one takes lately and can't for the life of me find that one where I recognized the road...for sure :).

E46 you say? My man...just did an engine flush and oilchange with filter yesterday aiming for the 250.000mls :)

1YrIv7Y.jpg

Really jealous of those roads you got at your doorstep!
damn! Energizer bunny car! BMW knows how to make them last.

@Michael Bolton Thanks... Glad to know that you're liking Angeles Crest and Upper Big T already... And that the San Gabriels are your playground... That's what I intend the next version to be, a pretty big playground.

I'm looking forward to getting the junctions in... and the proper width roads in... With the 4 lane section on Angeles Forest Highway... and the passing lane on Upper Big T.

This is just 0.3 with some new textures over the top....
Screenshot_ks_ferrari_488_gtb_la_canyons_7-3-118-18-59-9.jpg

Ignore the edges, I'll feather those into the terrain, on the much narrower road...
and ignore the "pointy" terrain.... It will look more like this...
Screenshot_ks_ferrari_488_gtb_la_canyons_7-3-118-19-15-41.jpg

Cross the two images together and that's what I'm aiming for :)

The section of Angeles Crest after the junction with Upper Big T is an awesome section of road, I can't wait to get that driveable. At the far end of Angeles Crest (up at Newcombs Ranch) it does do AC's shaking physics thing... But I just won't put a start location up that far. If anyone wants to drive up there... It's up to them if the physics go wonky :D

You can never watch too many One Takes.... It's a shame he's stopped making them....
As nice as the cars are, for me... the scenery and roads are the star of the show.
Oh no! I've been out of the loop for quite some time now. When did he stop making the One Takes? Was there a reason given?

He filmed the last one a while ago, there will still be One Takes... But a guy called Zack will be doing them. Think Mr Farah wants to try something else after doing over 600 One Takes. But owners of Assetto will be able to do their own One Takes :D

i would like to donate you 100$ if you can finish this track.
Thanks for the offer... That's a very expensive coffee though :D
And there is no IF I finish... It will be done, these roads are too awesome not to... Just not sure what year that will be.

Did anyone hear that? That's the sound of Phoenix heating up 4 coffee percolators and cracking open the tops of 6 Red Bulls. :sneaky: :laugh: I'm just kidding...I know you guys don't do it for the money. :thumbsup:
:coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:
:D
If you knew how few people are generous enough to have donated to say thanks for the many, many, many hours of work my track projects take... you'd probably be shocked. Especially as almost 90,000 people have downloaded my tracks... Take the number of reviews Pacific has had.... Half it... and that's about the number of generous people that are out there.
If I did this for the money... I've certainly made the wrong choice! :confused:

Driving online with the cool people that appreciate my work, despite the lack of things like 3D grass etc... Makes the work more worthwhile than anything else... You all know who you are ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back