LA Canyons

Tracks LA Canyons 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Fair comments... Due to the size of these terrains... and my newness of making tracks... these things take time. Fair enough, canyons 0.3 has no objects at all.
I was working on Pacific Coast.. and wasn't too sure if the Canyons layout would be worth spending any more time on... It is... and I have :)

If I... with my previous lack of knowledge... just slapped a ton of objects in... there would be a high probabilty that only those with really high end machines could use these roads. As a design choice I didn't want to go in that direction.

I've also used a large portion of any poly budget on these extremely mountainous, mahoosive terrains (atm LAC's terrain is unoptimised, this will change). Wherever there are roads... also needs more polys around the joins.
Smaller tracks have less of these budget concerns... So out of the tracks you mentioned, only Lake Louise is a remotely close comparison, to the Canyons.
To give you an idea of budgets... A track like Nords has around 2.5 million polys, all in, trees, objects etc. Just my 900km² terrain and 115km+ of roads come in at 3.4 million, that is unoptimised atm though.

One reason I'll only be sharing the "extra" roads with those who have donated and/or reviewed already, is particulary because of your viewpoint...
NHF's your opinion is a valid one.... and I'm pretty sure plenty of others share it.
But I can be reasonably sure that those that have already donated will be able to appreciate the extra roads... even in their current stage of development.

They're also looking at what they already have, not what they don't have.
(glass half full, compared to glass half empty)
They also appreciate the large amount of time that goes into projects of the size I have chosen... even to get them to the stage they're currently at.

If you need these things to enjoy a track... tbh and nhf... but my tracks are probably not for you.
And that's cool, everyone has different tastes... Luckily enough there are plenty of other tracks that will appeal to yourself.... that's the great thing about modding :)

Thanks for sharing your opinions... It pretty much confirms what I already thought :)

Considering the issue in AC with regards to large tracks, have you ever considered breaking these massive roads into smaller sections which might eliminate the physics shake problem ?

Due to the way these mountainous roads double back on themselves frequently...
Screenshot_ks_mazda_mx5_nd_la_canyons_8-4-118-5-37-37.jpg

The actual max distance from origin is at the furthest, around 14km's...

I'd say the distance from origin where physics shaking occurs is between 9 - 10km
The guideline floating around... of 16km x 16km... IMO is too generous.

The physics shake does start occuring around the top end of Angeles Crest, and at the L.A end of Big Tujunga... But I was expecting that anyway. I won't be putting any pit boxes that far though... So when driving any shaking is pretty minimal IMO.

The top of Mount Wilson is around 8km... L.A end of Angeles Crest is around 9km... All of the main loop is at most around 7km.

I did briefly consider separating... But want to have the freeroam option... of taking any road.. at any time... In any hide and seek / chase scenarios... or just general cruising.

These roads, while massive... are more compacted (From the origin 0,0,0) than 115km's sounds :)

Last edited:
Fair comments... Due to the size of these terrains... and my newness of making tracks... these things take time. Fair enough, canyons 0.3 has no objects at all.
I was working on Pacific Coast.. and wasn't too sure if the Canyons layout would be worth spending any more time on... It is... and I have :)

If I... with my previous lack of knowledge... just slapped a ton of objects in... there would be a high probabilty that only those with really high end machines could use these roads. As a design choice I didn't want to go in that direction.

I've also used a large portion of any poly budget on these extremely mountainous, mahoosive terrains (atm LAC's terrain is unoptimised, this will change). Wherever there are roads... also needs more polys around the joins.
Smaller tracks have less of these budget concerns... So out of the tracks you mentioned, only Lake Louise is a remotely close comparison, to the Canyons.
To give you an idea of budgets... A track like Nords has around 2.5 million polys, all in, trees, objects etc. Just my 900km² terrain and 115km+ of roads come in at 3.4 million, that is unoptimised atm though.

One reason I'll only be sharing the "extra" roads with those who have donated and/or reviewed already, is particulary because of your viewpoint...
NHF's your opinion is a valid one.... and I'm pretty sure plenty of others share it.
But I can be reasonably sure that those that have already donated will be able to appreciate the extra roads... even in their current stage of development.

They're also looking at what they already have, not what they don't have.
(glass half full, compared to glass half empty)
They also appreciate the large amount of time that goes into projects of the size I have chosen... even to get them to the stage they're currently at.

If you need these things to enjoy a track... tbh and nhf... but my tracks are probably not for you.
And that's cool, everyone has different tastes... Luckily enough there are plenty of other tracks that will appeal to yourself.... that's the great thing about modding :)

Thanks for sharing your opinions... It pretty much confirms what I already thought :)

Thanks for long post...OK I will have to wait a lot more to enjoy it then others who can drive it now..
Good luck with those huge projects...

Xfab has made a fix for the shaking. It doesn't disappear completely but it's better. I haven't tried it yet but the videos show a difference. You can find it at ACmods

Thanks for long post...OK I will have to wait a lot more to enjoy it then others who can drive it now..
Good luck with those huge projects...
No worries, It took a long post to describe my aims for this project :D
Now I've got the groundwork done (apart from any minor snagging list)....
There is a slim possibility it won't be as long as you may think.
The next stage is hopefully going to be a load more fun than sorting the core out :)
Anyway until then, have fun with whatever roads you're driving ;)
Cheers!

Xfab has made a fix for the shaking. It doesn't disappear completely but it's better. I haven't tried it yet but the videos show a difference. You can find it at ACmods
Thanks a lot for the heads up mate... I won't try it just yet... as I want to test things out at the worst possible level for now, to know what's what.
But will put a note on the main download page... If it works out well.
Thanks again :thumbsup:

Thought it was about time to start adding some layouts... for testing purposes of course ;)
lac_extra_layouts_01.jpg

Had to finally do a run along Angeles Crest in Assetto... Starting from Newcombs Ranch... Pretty much down to the L.A Basin... It took me 15:51 for my first attempt in a Superfast 812.... Getting up to speeds of 180mph is pretty scary along here :D

What a road!

Thanks mate... It's taken quite a lot of work to put it mildly... but it's really been worth the extra effort.
After driving it properly now... I can see why bikers love the area... all 115km's has mostly fast sweeping corners. Talk about a Supercar / Hypercar playground! :D

The start areas roads look a little different now...
start_roads_01.jpg

There are a few corners, 500+ at a rough guess... All of them are pretty cool.
roads_overview_01.jpg

Luckily I can straight away get the rendered poly count down by a million just by separating visual and physical roads. What a mahoosive project, what was I thinking! :laugh:

Pff, that's massive! :confused::laugh: Especially for the AC engine. Nevertheless looks awesome!

Just curious, have you already tried importing it in the UE4 engine (for the sake of it) ? Such a massive landscape/project really asks for it.

Cheers, yeah it's a bit of a workout for the AC engine, just the middle loop is 2x Nords length...
It's far from optimal atm... But at one point I wasn't sure if it would even load up and be driveable in practice mode... It's way more than driveable.

Just curious, have you already tried importing it in the UE4 engine (for the sake of it) ? Such a massive landscape/project really asks for it.
I'm not even that used to the KsEditor yet :D... I wouldn't know where to start with getting it into the UE4 engine... But I do know a few people that might be able to give it a go at a later date, and know FAR more than I do. I agree though... Such a massive project is asking for it :) Maybe one day.

I'm not even that used to the KsEditor yet :D... I wouldn't know where to start with getting it into the UE4 engine... But I do know a few people that might be able to give it a go at a later date, and know FAR more than I do. I agree though... Such a massive project is asking for it :) Maybe one day.

Can you imagine the day / night cycle, the Diablo, 512, Viper, Corvette, 911 etc chasing each other through the darkness before the sun rises over the peaks in the distance :confused:

So cool!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back