Phoenix77

Premium
To keep the track support thread cleaner... I thought I'd open a thread for everyone using the latest version (0.55) of LA Canyons to organise Angeles Forest car meets, cruises, racing on the servers... etc
Screenshot_bo_caterham_roadster500_la_canyons_5-8-118-16-55-18.jpg

Anyone hosting a server, let others know about it here (with any necessary mods)...
And hopefully more people will find your servers and join in for some fun online.
As this was always my plan when creating my tracks.
Screenshot_bo_caterham_roadster500_la_canyons_5-8-118-16-57-57.jpg

If this thread is in the wrong place, apologies...
could an Admin please move where it should be, thanks :)
Screenshot_ks_lamborghini_gallardo_sl_la_canyons_14-7-118-1-46-45.jpg

Last edited:
Our crew (simrace.pl) plan to spot and ride on Saturday evening, see you on the servers.
In any case we can set up our 40 slots Rack, but as for now seems there are enough of them?

btw great author's contribution for that sensational route :inlove:

Depends on what you want to do then. If the available cars on the servers are not what you want or even if it's not the Freeroam configuration you want, then setup another server for that. If you just want to drive around with whatever is available, feel free to use my server for example.

Important message.... Any one experiencing any lagging on any servers...

Try deleting, renaming or downscaling the map.png... in the la_canyons/freeroam folder... My bad... I recorded it at 16,384 x 16,384 to get all the details in.

Very well done to @shmafoozius for finding out this was the issue!

Yeah mate, at around 26 miles long...
under 10 minutes is a little over an average speed of 156mph :confused: lol
I think a fair bit of time can come of 9:53 (not from me)... maybe as much as 30 seconds.

Think of these roads, as a much narrower, double length Nordschleife, with a bridge, tunnel and 3 junctions to negotiate... oh and one or two cliffs with hundred foot drops!

The elevation over the whole area ranges from 1,800ft ASL (La Canada, I think pronounced La Can Yada) To around 6,200ft ASL (Strawberry Peak)

This area is probably best to use as a cruise, drift, roleplay arena...
But racing would definitely be fun and highly dangerous!

GRC server will be running LA Canyons for the next few days atleast.

We are running at night, please download and install this mod and you will have night automatically on the server (you can paste another night weather into black night if you prefer a different night mod, atleast I think that will work)

Link for Black Night weather mod:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/black-night-ideal-for-the-green-hell.152422/

The following mod cars are on the server:

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/porsche-356a-1600gs-carrera-gt-coupe.22149/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ford-f350-stair-truck.14770/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/nfs-tournament-class-b.20228/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/nfs-tournament-class-a.16905/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/1970s-performance-mustangs.19574/

Here is the current list of cars:

Grid 1:
Ford Mustang Mach1
Ford F350 Pickup
Porsche 356A

Grid 2:
Ferrari 250GTO
Lamborghini Miura
Ford Mustang Boss 429

Grid 3:
Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale
Shelby Cobra

Grid 4:
Alfa Romeo Giulia
Audi R8 V10
Mercedes SLS AMG
Mazda RX7 Tuned
Dodge Viper RT/10
Lamborghini Countach
Lamborghini Diablo
Ferrari 288 GTO
Porsche Cayman GT4

Grid 5:
Toyota Supra TA
Pagani Huayra
McLaren 570S
Porsche 911 GT3RS
Ferrari 812 SF
Lamborghini Huracan Performante
Lamborghini Gallardo S3

GRC Stracker link for lap times:
http://managerdc6.rackservice.org:50129/lapstat

Last edited:
I adjusted the car list again. Not sure if it would have been better to run the Normal Loop for timing? On that note is is possible to add things to the map in AC? Either a coloured line for each route at junctions or some text a bit like this:
20180722100653_1.jpg
20180722100653_2.jpg

GRC server will be running LA Canyons for the next few days atleast.

We are running at night, please download and install this mod and you will have night automatically on the server (you can paste another night weather into black night if you prefer a different night mod, atleast I think that will work)

Link for Black Night weather mod:
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/black-night-ideal-for-the-green-hell.152422/

The following mod cars are on the server:

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/porsche-356a-1600gs-carrera-gt-coupe.22149/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ford-f350-stair-truck.14770/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/nfs-tournament-class-b.20228/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/nfs-tournament-class-a.16905/
https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/1970s-performance-mustangs.19574/

Here is the current list of cars:

Grid 1:
Ford Mustang Mach1
Ford F350 Pickup
Porsche 356A

Grid 2:
Ferrari 250GTO
Lamborghini Miura
Ford Mustang Boss 429

Grid 3:
Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale
Shelby Cobra

Grid 4:
Alfa Romeo Giulia
Audi R8 V10
Mercedes SLS AMG
Mazda RX7 Tuned
Dodge Viper RT/10
Lamborghini Countach
Lamborghini Diablo
Ferrari 288 GTO
Porsche Cayman GT4

Grid 5:
Toyota Supra TA
Pagani Huayra
McLaren 570S
Porsche 911 GT3RS
Ferrari 812 SF
Lamborghini Huracan Performante
Lamborghini Gallardo S3

GRC Stracker link for lap times:
http://managerdc6.rackservice.org:50129/lapstat
Awesome one Andy, hosting a night server, thanks!
Was great getting to drive with @Ben O'Bro for a night time cruise / gentle race :)
After all the work Ben has put in... It just had to be done....
And if he says he is slow and crashes... Don't listen to him... he's fast :)
That's cool Andy, see what cars look and feel right in this part of the world :)

I adjusted the car list again. Not sure if it would have been better to run the Normal Loop for timing? On that note is is possible to add things to the map in AC? Either a coloured line for each route at junctions or some text a bit like this:
View attachment 260962 View attachment 260963
Freeroam has exactly the same timing gates as the normal loop (clockwise)....
So timing should work fine in ANY Freeroam servers.... Also if anyone completes a clockwise loop online... Assetto will save a replay... Fair enough there are no track cams... But if you get Stereo's JoyCam app... very good things are possible :)

I also put in 125 start positions, so races / race weekends.... should be possible... Up to the maximum of 125... Not sure I'd go that high though for network reasons... But I had to make it possible.

Great idea on the map... Text wouldn't work... as the map 'should' be 4096 x 4096 over this size area... too low resolution really for any text...
Which is part of the reason why I went too high res on the Freeroam map (16k) included in the 0.5 download.
I will be reducing the map to 4k... as the 16k map.png causes a lagging issue... which a fair few people have experienced... I must admit I haven't had any lag, not sure why I didn't (possibly 6gb video ram helped)

Great idea for the map... I've been thinking about something like that... But in a later update... I will be putting in the proper road name signs and/or distance signs (e.g Los Angeles 10 miles)
Not sure yet.. because I've gone a 'little' over budget with polys, I'm trying to keep materials/textures down. This will take a little bit of juggling to get right. If after the trees people are still getting 90FPS then things can be increased.
From what I've been hearing, It seems to be running almost as efficiently as the 0.3 version...
Once downscaling the map.png.

Thanks again for the server Andy :) And thanks for providing links to all the mods used :thumbsup:
All the servers have some nice car lists and variations... Great seeing car numbers getting up to 10 - 15 and even having oncoming fast movin 'real' traffic :)

Last edited:
I'd love to give more car choice on our server but it is limited to 24 cars only.

Here's a hotlap challenge for anyone interested. Lamborghini Gallardo S3 using street tyres on the normal loop (for anyone that doesn't know, normal loop is left out of the pit area.) Timing can be checked using the stracker link a few posts above.

I'd love to give more car choice on our server but it is limited to 24 cars only.

Here's a hotlap challenge for anyone interested. Lamborghini Gallardo S3 using street tyres on the normal loop (for anyone that doesn't know, normal loop is left out of the pit area.) Timing can be checked using the stracker link a few posts above.
That's probably a good number of cars mate, especially as the night mode uses more resources...
And nice hotlap challenge... Should be along the lines of the LaFerrari time I got, at a rough guess... 13:30 or quicker... Good luck anyone trying that ;) Especially at night!

That's probably a good number of cars mate, especially as the night mode uses more resources...
And nice hotlap challenge... Should be along the lines of the LaFerrari time I got, at a rough guess... 13:30 or quicker... Good luck anyone trying that ;) Especially at night!
I imagine it will be a fair bit slower than the La Ferrari, those hypercar road tyres have quite a lot more grip than the street tyres on the Gallardo S3, I doubt it could keep up with it even on semislicks :roflmao:. I'll give the challenge a go but I'm navigating by the track map at the moment :unsure:

Awesome one Andy, hosting a night server, thanks!
Was great getting to drive with @Ben O'Bro for a night time cruise / gentle race :)
After all the work Ben has put in... It just had to be done....
And if he says he is slow and crashes... Don't listen to him... he's fast :)
That's cool Andy, see what cars look and feel right in this part of the world :)

Freeroam has exactly the same timing gates as the normal loop (clockwise)....
So timing should work fine in ANY Freeroam servers.... Also if anyone completes a clockwise loop online... Assetto will save a replay... Fair enough there are no track cams... But if you get Stereo's JoyCam app... very good things are possible :)

I also put in 125 start positions, so races / race weekends.... should be possible... Up to the maximum of 125... Not sure I'd go that high though for network reasons... But I had to make it possible.

Great idea on the map... Text wouldn't work... as the map 'should' be 4096 x 4096 over this size area... too low resolution really for any text...
Which is part of the reason why I went too high res on the Freeroam map (16k) included in the 0.5 download.
I will be reducing the map to 4k... as the 16k map.png causes a lagging issue... which a fair few people have experienced... I must admit I haven't had any lag, not sure why I didn't (possibly 6gb video ram helped)

Great idea for the map... I've been thinking about something like that... But in a later update... I will be putting in the proper road name signs and/or distance signs (e.g Los Angeles 10 miles)
Not sure yet.. because I've gone a 'little' over budget with polys, I'm trying to keep materials/textures down. This will take a little bit of juggling to get right. If after the trees people are still getting 90FPS then things can be increased.
From what I've been hearing, It seems to be running almost as efficiently as the 0.3 version...
Once downscaling the map.png.

Thanks again for the server Andy :) And thanks for providing links to all the mods used :thumbsup:
All the servers have some nice car lists and variations... Great seeing car numbers getting up to 10 - 15 and even having oncoming fast movin 'real' traffic :)

Quick performance increases could be done if you lowered the terrain polys and copied your grass areas 1grassxx, made them invisible. Right now it's rendering the 1grass areas and calculating physics.

I imagine it will be a fair bit slower than the La Ferrari, those hypercar road tyres have quite a lot more grip than the street tyres on the Gallardo S3, I doubt it could keep up with it even on semislicks :roflmao:. I'll give the challenge a go but I'm navigating by the track map at the moment :unsure:
Yeah I really didn't think that through mate lol Street tyres!
But then again...IIRC I did do the 13:08 on gamepad... so probably plenty to be knocked off lol

Quick performance increases could be done if you lowered the terrain polys and copied your grass areas 1grassxx, made them invisible. Right now it's rendering the 1grass areas and calculating physics.
Nice one mate... I've left the terrain polys higher than they should be for now... so if we want to detach faces to make rocks etc... There are a few more edges to work with... freaking awesome work by @Ben O'Bro I won't show too much... wouldn't want to spoil any... surprises ;)
Screenshot_ks_lamborghini_huracan_performante_la_canyons_22-7-118-15-26-52.jpg

A lot of things are set to change anyway mate... And I'm taking the approach of maybe using a few more polys... and less materials if possible. 0.5 runs not far off the performance of 0.3 (with nothing in and 10km's less terrain in both X and Y) :)

And I'm having a think about the 1GRASS_XXX areas as I like people having the option to take it a little offroad... the mountains are almost too good not to.
Have made it an option to drive all along the main mountain range... from one side to the other... Anyone with a 4x4 in any chase scenarios...has a different option of escape.

Thanks mate... I guess this isn't a regular track :D
Oh and this is probably better suited to the support thread... But doesn't really matter.

Last edited:
Yeah I really didn't think that through mate lol Street tyres!
But then again...IIRC I did do the 13:08 on gamepad... so probably plenty to be knocked off lol
Who knows how fast it can go, I did one hotlap and only did a 16:4x, it is too much car when you dont have a clue where you are going :p The timing seems to be acting strangely though, it shows invalid for me on an outlap but regardless of that it saved on stracker and my second lap showed as valid on track right up to the line and doesn't show up on stracker :/ annoyingly I thought you had to do an outlap because my timing was red so I drove around really slowly trying to save the Gallardo's street tyres because they don't last 5 mins and that is the lap that saved on stracker! It would be nice if you could drive out of the "pits" and have the timer reset as you cross the start line.

@Andy-R I could not even find your server, just realized it has car mods that I do not have. I will try and look for those cars so I can join..
The server tag is "grc" if you stick that in the search box it comes right up, alternatively you can search for la canyons and find it that way.

Who knows how fast it can go, I did one hotlap and only did a 16:4x, it is too much car when you dont have a clue where you are going :p The timing seems to be acting strangely though, it shows invalid for me on an outlap but regardless of that it saved on stracker and my second lap showed as valid on track right up to the line and doesn't show up on stracker :/ annoyingly I thought you had to do an outlap because my timing was red so I drove around really slowly trying to save the Gallardo's street tyres because they don't last 5 mins and that is the lap that saved on stracker! It would be nice if you could drive out of the "pits" and have the timer reset as you cross the start line.

The server tag is "grc" if you stick that in the search box it comes right up, alternatively you can search for la canyons and find it that way.
I think the timing needs an AI line to function correctly... Freeroam has the same timing points as normal... so if you intend to go for a timed hotlap... maybe copying in the normal layouts fast_lane.ai may help... worth a try mate :)
Note that obviously, if you try and drive in reverse, with a fast_lane in the freeroam/ai folder... it will come up with the wrong way sign... just delete or rename the copied fast_lane (in the freeroam/ai folder)

I think the timing needs an AI line to function correctly... Freeroam has the same timing points as normal... so if you intend to go for a timed hotlap... maybe copying in the normal layouts fast_lane.ai may help... worth a try mate :)
Note that obviously, if you try and drive in reverse, with a fast_lane in the freeroam/ai folder... it will come up with the wrong way sign... just delete or rename the copied fast_lane (in the freeroam/ai folder)
Thanks for the help. I've switched to the normal loop layout for timing :thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%