Glad you're looking forward to driving the canyons mate :)
It has been really tedious work...
But it will be worth it... The flow was really fun before... even with around 10 - 20 bumps due to to the mesh twisting up a little bit.
It's surprising how a tiny twist angle in a spline results in a bump 2 or 3 inches high, which is more than enough to unsettle the car on a dangerous corner.

I'm almost at the fun point of testing it out now... Thank F......... lol

Looks marvelous, can't wait to take a cruise. Hopefully with traffic AI like on Pacific Coast? :)
Thanks mate :) Glad you like the looks (so far).

There are a few small hurdles before that can happen... One slight issue is the size of the AI files for different layouts... It's 50mb's per AI lap (which is surprisingly less than PC's 90mb+)
Bearing in mind I'll be doing a reverse layout, that'll be 100mb's just in AI files. I will at some point do Cruise AI layouts, probably as a separate optional download though. I need to keep everything below 300mb to upload here.

Then a more time consuming issue is that the shoulders are part of the valid_track atm. So if I tried to do the Cruise AI now they would wander onto the shoulders, and it wouldn't look as good as I would like.
I will need to spend some time making the shoulders a separate object.
Make it valid_track=0 and then record the AI.

When you drive it... I reckon you'll want to go for it instead of cruise anyway...

After this initial release I will be going straight back to PC to include a few things...
This track was only meant to be a simple texture test thing for PC... I just got a little carried away again lol

Then a more time consuming issue is that the shoulders are part of the valid_track atm. So if I tried to do the Cruise AI now they would wander onto the shoulders, and it wouldn't look as good as I would like.
Make that work for you. Just include a driver model that's staring down at an iPhone, one hand on the wheel. Realism is greatly enhanced.

Thanks mate :) Glad you like the looks (so far).

There are a few small hurdles before that can happen... One slight issue is the size of the AI files for different layouts... It's 50mb's per AI lap (which is surprisingly less than PC's 90mb+)
Bearing in mind I'll be doing a reverse layout, that'll be 100mb's just in AI files. I will at some point do Cruise AI layouts, probably as a separate optional download though. I need to keep everything below 300mb to upload here.

I will need to spend some time making the shoulders a separate object.
Make it valid_track=0 and then record the AI.

When you drive it... I reckon you'll want to go for it instead of cruise anyway...

After this initial release I will be going straight back to PC to include a few things...
This track was only meant to be a simple texture test thing for PC... I just got a little carried away again lol

You could always just send me the cruise AI files through Dropbox or something. :whistling: :laugh: Might be allowed as a separate upload though, I've seen AI lines uploaded before and since the track will still work just fine without them I'd think that would be acceptable (but not 100% sure on the rules for such things).

You could always just send me the cruise AI files through Dropbox or something. :whistling: :laugh: Might be allowed as a separate upload though, I've seen AI lines uploaded before and since the track will still work just fine without them I'd think that would be acceptable (but not 100% sure on the rules for such things).
Yeah one way or another I want to do the Cruise AI... As far as I know there's no rules against uploading an AI line... After all... I'd only be doing it that way to keep the file size down to upload this track on RaceDepartment... to be within RD's upload limit of 300mb... The initial upload should be well within that 300mb limit... But due to a few things I've learnt with Pacific Coast... That upload size will increase quite rapidly when I add objects and a HD physical road mesh... So I'm going to leave plenty of room :)

I've seen plenty of AI files... It would just go in the Misc Section AFAIK mate :)

But like I said... separating the shoulder into a separate object won't be a 2 second job... and I really have to get back on to Pacific and get it to a V1.0.... It has a long overdue mansion that needs to be built.

But like I said... separating the shoulder into a separate object won't be a 2 second job...

But.....you're working on a "computer" right? I thought everything on a computer only takes 2 seconds and a couple of mouse clicks and.....PRESTO, DONE!! At least that's what people at my work and my customers seem to think anyway, since I work on a computer I can whip up their 12 page booklet in a matter of minutes and have 500 of them printed and finished for their meeting that starts in an hour. :O_o: :cautious: :laugh:

I wish that was a joke, last Friday we literally had a lady walk in who needed her presentation printed, cut, and folded for a meeting she had at 11:00am.........she came in at 10:56am. :poop: :thumbsdown: :poop:

But.....you're working on a "computer" right? I thought everything on a computer only takes 2 seconds and a couple of mouse clicks and.....PRESTO, DONE!! At least that's what people at my work and my customers seem to think anyway, since I work on a computer I can whip up their 12 page booklet in a matter of minutes and have 500 of them printed and finished for their meeting that starts in an hour. :O_o: :cautious: :laugh:

I wish that was a joke, last Friday we literally had a lady walk in who needed her presentation printed, cut, and folded for a meeting she had at 11:00am.........she came in at 10:56am. :poop: :thumbsdown: :poop:
lmfao.... You really know that computers do whatever they feel like... It depends on the wind direction and phase of the moon... Well at least my computer behaves like that. I'm sure some of the track wizards on here would use a few mouse clicks and would have a right laugh at how I do things... But I've learnt quite a few things ;)
6 months ago I wouldn't have know a polygon from a vertex lol

Computers are great when they work correctly....
But they imediately know when there's a looming deadline.....
and become a total Gaylord Martha Fokker... :D

Well geesh Brandon. She did give you a whole 4 minutes... :O_o: :poop: I know that I have flaws...many flaws. But how stupid do you have to be to hop in your car, probably at 10:30am to shoot over to a professional printing place and expect them to get you 6,000 pages printed and back in your hand in 4 mother lovin' minutes?! You should have said, "Sure...No problem." And then when she hands you the 12 pages you tear them right in half. :laugh: :roflmao:

Lol, that must be the understatement of the century :D. But its looking great and I'm sure any gains made in this "little" side project will serve to make PC even better.
Thanks Joseph, I missed your comment in amongst @Brandon saying he can't print a few presentations in 4 minutes lol... He was probably daydreaming about Assetto for 2 of those minutes ;) lol (only joking Brandon)
Yeah that is the understatement of the century... I blame Matt Farah from the Smoking Tire... If I didn't see his 488 video this would've been a roundabout. lol
I feel like I'm cheating on Pacific with this Canyon track so I will need to get back to it as soon as I upload the initial version of this. 42km's?? WTF was I thinking lol

Make that work for you. Just include a driver model that's staring down at an iPhone, one hand on the wheel. Realism is greatly enhanced.
lol With my 3D skills I'd probably make the driver model with 3 arms or something :)

Bet that Mustang is epic here. ;)
Oh it is mate, except after testing it on the latest version with bankings... There has to be a lot more tweaking than I was hoping for. My driving surface has to be worthy for those fine physics values... Well done mate, an extremely fun car! :)

Can't wait to give this a run. Thanks for putting in the hard work mate.
Thanks mate... It certainly is time consuming work... But has to be done...
In between life things getting in the way as usual.
But it will get there... The ground work (quite literally) is the most time consuming part.

It's a tough job... Testing out cambers / elevations / bankings... :)
Screenshot_a3dr_boss302_laguna_seca_angeles_forest_12-4-117-11-51-1.jpg

Screenshot_a3dr_boss302_laguna_seca_angeles_forest_12-4-117-11-58-14.jpg

This animal loves the canyon runs ;)

I've had to backtrack a stage for a few reasons...which is a bit of a pain in the..........
It will delay me releasing this, but I wasn't happy with the terrain mesh...so had to be done sooner rather than later.
Screenshot_a3dr_boss302_laguna_seca_angeles_forest_13-4-117-0-45-39.jpg

Basically I've had to adjust the terrain (paint) mask... which will, in the end... make my painting more accurate...
also I've "eroded" the landscape nearest to the roadside. The landscape was too... pointy... I doubt that's a technical term. The normal "bump" maps didn't seem to work so well on near vertical surfaces.
Some of masks channels still need to be blended..
but I think you can tell how the texture variations will be worth it. :)

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back