Pity the poor bugger doing cams for this track. 42kms!!!:cry: But it looks great! :ninja:
The poor bugger doing the cams... will be the same poor bugger who has to go around planting about a million bushes lmao

Cheers mate... It will look better when I get used to the terrain mask a bit better :) and learn how to do the road / terrain transition textures.

The shader with normal (bump) map really helps the textures not look so flat :) obviously.
Just done a basic camera set... So I can record a video to track down bumps / sort bankings...
Screenshot_aston_martin_one_angeles_forest_5-4-117-6-56-40.jpg

Screenshot_aston_martin_one_angeles_forest_5-4-117-5-21-53.jpg

Screenshot_aston_martin_one_angeles_forest_5-4-117-6-14-32.jpg

Screenshot_aston_martin_one_angeles_forest_5-4-117-6-29-59.jpg

The terrain shader I'm now using will massively help Pacific Coast out ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_aston_martin_one_angeles_forest_5-4-117-6-53-41.jpg
    Screenshot_aston_martin_one_angeles_forest_5-4-117-6-53-41.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Screenshot_aston_martin_one_angeles_forest_5-4-117-7-5-32.jpg
    Screenshot_aston_martin_one_angeles_forest_5-4-117-7-5-32.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Holy **** that looks like lots of bang for the buck. Can imagine pacific coast in that dress...by the way in your first screenie above care to share the weather/time and filter settings? Looks beautiful!
Thanks mate :) it's really going to PC a more realistic landscape... and should be a nice relatively easy fix...
(will have a bit more practice tweaking scales and playing with the mask in photoshop, doing some blending)

It's just the default filter and I'm not sure what the time was as I use the photo app, and set the sun position to something I like at the start :) using azimuth and zenith +/-

Normal maps = ****ing awesome :)

Man...You've come a long way bro!! I remember when you started the Pacific Coast map you were nervous and unsure of yourself. Now you're plugging along with s second build under way. I'm so thrilled because I'm a street car lover and these type of roads are just perfect for causing some mischief with my street legal rides. :D If I ever actually get the courage to try my hand at track making, I would be aiming along the lines of what your second track is going to be. Inland, not just following the coast. I would make mine a loop so you can do continuous runs, but I would also make it similar to Lake Louise - multiple routes to be taken. I've actually got a few sketches drawn up but I am so far away from any actual track building. So, it's very nice to see that your 2nd map is going to scratch that itch of mine. :cool: :D :sneaky:

Thanks mate, Yeah I think I've come a long way... 23km's and now 42.5km's lol
I'm still a bit unsure of my 3DS skills... But they're certainly getting there...
I have quite a way to go in understanding how to use UV mapping in particular... And need to learn a few things about the shaders in the editor.
Also LOD's and optimising are high up on my things to learn list.

This road was just going to be about testing out some arid textures for Pacific Coast without the risk of me messing anything up... since then it's got a life of it's own. What I'm learning about the terrain textures will really add to PC... So as far as I'm concerned it's time well spent :)

This road has some amazing fast sweepers... you'll get up to plenty of mischief... And it's a bit more forgiving already with the shoulders either side of the road. As soon as the road position is mostly there barriers will be a priority, now I know how easy they are to make :)

Probably a less daunting way of starting would be something like an oval track.
Maybe some sort of fantasy Nascar track... Then you haven't got the responsibility of making it authentic as possible.

Lake Louise is awesome.. That is one hell of a serious project to start... Total respect to the author of it!
Well your sketches are a starting point mate... So that is a good start...
Rome wasn't built in a day! Good luck with it one day you'll look back and think "what was I worried about?" :)

Until then fire up your favourite ride and blast through the canyons or along the coast :)

The big tujunga absolutely has some extremely interesting high speed sections and awesome bank turns, some very tight some more stretched out. If you check Matt's video on the 900hp Merc SLS you can really see how the road works for even high powered turbo supercars without having to crawl along. Mind you he's actually staying in the lane at all times.

You said you'd model it in a loop, if I interpret the vids correctly there are also two connecting roads (the point where Matt usually turns around but sometimes also takes a right at the intersection). That could be a great way for a small and big loop within the track.

cruising speed of Mach .72 ~ 890km/h the maps might turn out to be a tad 'short' :).
So you're saying I need to model most of California then? How about I also put an aircraft carrier off Pacific Coast then? Thinking about it... maybe we should just leave assetto to cars! lol

The big tujunga absolutely has some extremely interesting high speed sections and awesome bank turns, some very tight some more stretched out. If you check Matt's video on the 900hp Merc SLS you can really see how the road works for even high powered turbo supercars without having to crawl along. Mind you he's actually staying in the lane at all times.
You said you'd model it in a loop, if I interpret the vids correctly there are also two connecting roads (the point where Matt usually turns around but sometimes also takes a right at the intersection). That could be a great way for a small and big loop within the track.
la_canyons_map_01.jpg

The whole loop is pretty quick... but Upper Big T Canyon Road (not to be confused with Big T Canyon Road)
is really fast (I've done 195mph down there ;) )... especially when you're not worried about crossing the double yellows ;)
That right Matt takes is probably into Upper Big T Canyon road...
There are a few tiny side roads, but they're dead ends and don't go over Strawberry Peak or Mount Lawlor so they won't connect in a smaller loop...Even if I could do a smaller loop... That'd use more polys... So I will probably only be doing a clockwise and anti-clockwise loop. If you want a small loop... You'll have to use the Nordschleife ;) lol Also the more things I put in, there will be more chance of the track going over the 300mb upload limit on here when rar'ed up.
It might go over that anyway... which will mean sorting out hosting it somewhere else.

Where do I find that app?
You need to enable dev apps... in the file... assettocorsa.ini found in assettocorsa/system/cfg folder
Change the line... ENABLE_DEV_APPS=0 to ENABLE_DEV_APPS=1
While you're in that file I'd recommend also enabling freecam ...
change the line... ALLOW_FREE_CAMERA=0 to ALLOW_FREE_CAMERA=1
(press F7 ingame and use cursor keys or WASD (I can't remember which) to move around)

Also while talking about cams... I'd also recommend turning off spherical co-ordinates on the F5 camera... in the file camera_onboard_free.ini also found in assettocorsa/system/cfg folder
Change the line... SPHERICAL_COORDS=1 to SPHERICAL_COORDS=0
You can then move the camera anywhere you like... like freecam... only it stay connected to the car :)

That new texture looks REALLY good.
Thanks mate... It's a new thing to me so will need to tweak a few settings, scale etc... But it's a pretty good starting point and it's what was missing from Pacific Coast textures.

Oh, so this is the planned route of Project #2? That should be most excellent. :D :cool:
Yes it is mate... except it's no longer planned... It's in, it's working... with trackmap, basic trackcams, working AI... although I need to play about with what's the valid track and record a new AI line... As at the moment the AI do like to wander a little bit too far... with quite amusing consequences lol

Check out "The Smoking Tire"s 488GTB video to see the real road
http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/l-a-canyons.133733/#post-2434803

Duuude the epic lightning with the clouds...wow! Note trackside objects here: Electricity poles :). I love this road!

Thanks for pointing out the freecam functionality, I have that working already. But you said 'I use the photo app, and set the sun position to something I like at the start :) using azimuth and zenith +/-' from which I derived you're actually moving the sun ingame!? Might have misunderstood.

Rock on!

Another nice video :) Thanks for sharing mate.
Obviously it's Little Tujunga... so not 1 of the roads in my loop... But yeah the poles will be there.... I loved the look of this road and wasn't 100% sure that it would be as good to drive as it looked... So I was very pleased when I 1st "virtually" drove it... It has a great flow... A really great flow!
Perfect for all the road cars in AC... and not too bad for the race cars either.

Glad you got the FreeCam working.. IMO it should be activated by default...
It's a must have. Yeah in Photo Mode (Just below the sound app) you have total control of where you put the sun... That's the power Dev's wield lol
Zenith is the height above the horizon,
Azimuth is 360° sun direction (North,West, East & West)
In Photo Mode you can also change the FOV when in FreeCam mode

With the Dev Apps on you can do a lot of other things... Another view related app, is you can change height / distance / angle of the Chase Cams...
It's right down near the bottom of the apps. Might be of some use to someone :)

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: this track looks awesome, I always loved those kind of roads I'm so happy to have something like that in assetto corsa in a future :thumbsup:
Thanks mate... The road has an amazing flow... Not only here or there... All 42km's have interesting.. mostly sweeping corners.. with quite a few corners you come round it and the landscape opens up with some amazing views into the distance... And some really dangerous drops into the canyons below.

I'm just smoothing out some bankings, as for some reason the satellite data seems to go far less accurate... around the road area... and not as accurate elevation data as I'd like...
This is a wild guess but I think maybe the radar return gets scattered by the asphalt when getting the elevation data. Who knows!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 141 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 266 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 385 39.7%