Kvyat Suggests Removing F1 Practice: Do You Agree?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Daniil Kvyat .jpg

Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat recently suggested the removal of practice from an F1 race weekend - but do you agree?

With the track action in Formula One not always up to par, and with the sport keen to look at ways of keeping down the costs while expanding the Grand Prix calendar, Daniil Kvyat suggests that maybe the need for Free Practice on a Friday isn't what it once was.

"Maybe we need to just come on the track on Saturday," said Kvyat. "That's it. Honestly we are so up on all the tracks we know.

"I think we need to allow extra time on new tracks, like its going to be Vietnam or something, maybe, but I don't know.

"It's up to F1 people to decide, what is best and what is not. Every driver is different. Someone needs maybe five hours. But not me."
Do you think vastly reducing the amount of track time prior to qualifying is a good idea? Would limiting practice running improve the race action? Let us know your thoughts below!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

No, but I do think something should be done to improve practice... maybe a 1pt for fastest each session?

Well , his battleground (crashgournd?:roflmao:) is in the race , this is why he only care about the race session :D FPs are just like a grind to him to be able to reach the race

Ha, guy who desperately needs every minute of practice thinks it should be done away with? Classic.

This would be like someone getting diagnosed with strep throat immediately going on a campaign to outlaw antibiotics.

Bad idea for spectators that visit the GP on Friday. When you go to the track on Friday now, you get 3 hours of F1. If Kvyat does not want to drive anymore on Friday, maybe a suggestion would be that he retires for a 3rd time and will never return. There are a lot of drivers wanting to replace him that would be glad to drive on a Friday.

Kvyat of all people suggesting less practice, lol :confused:
Let's see what the new regulations look like, but hopefully we might see some closer racing in future, without having to resort to more and more DRS type shenanigans / less practice etc etc...

"Daniil Kvyat suggests that maybe the need for Free Practice on a Friday isn't what it once was"..... Says the guy that the paddock calls 'The Torpedo'.

Seriously, I don't mean to knock him, he seems a nice guy and is clearly very fast, though IMO he's in with those of very poor situational awareness - both HAAS drivers being an example.

That would be a very "stupid" call.
That's akin to not practicing for the sport you want to be good at.
They're very few athletes who are naturally gifted enough to win anything without extensive training...F1 drivers included..
The time to find out there is a wall there, is not when you're about to hit it head-on.

The only aspect I would like about this would be that the performance of the cars might become shuffled.
Hamilton and Mercedes had some troubles before Q3 already this season. That might spice things up.
In general though I guess the big teams would just work faster, stronger and more efficiently to even make the gaps bigger instead of smaller...
I'd like the idea or giving points for the fastest lap per session. Would stop the sandbagging a little or rather would make it interesting!
Would ferrari or Mercedes would go for it or not? If so would that he the maximum performance or will the other team stop sandbagging too? Depends on it but it would be great fun to have something like that I guess!

I'd like to see practice on Friday scrapped, and replaced with a spec tin-top double header race where all the formula one drivers have to take part, plus a few celebrities from that country and a couple of retired greats and odd special guest from different racing series.

Now that would be more fun than the actual Grand Prix.....

Practice sessions, which is something that every series has, but a single driver at the highest level thinks it needs to be done away with. Practice sessions also not just for the drivers y'know. Teams gotta know if they're gonna have their :poop: together for the event.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 93 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 68 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 101 13.8%