Kvyat Seals F1 Return with Toro Rosso

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kvyat back at Toro Rosso.jpg

Third time lucky for Daniil Kvyat as the Russian secures a return to the grid with Toro Rosso for the 2019 Grand Prix season.

Having been dropped by the Red Bull family for seemingly the final time mid way through 2017, Daniil Kvyat has made a remarkable recovery to the top level of the sport, the Russian 24-year-old having been confirmed as a Toro Rosso driver for the 2019 Formula One season.

"I believe he deserves another chance in Formula 1," said Toro Rosso Team Principal Franz Tost. "Daniil is a high skilled driver with fantastic natural speed, which he has proven several times in his career. There were some difficult situations he had to face in the past, but I’m convinced that having had time to mature as a person away from the races will help him show his undeniable capabilities on track.

We’ll push very hard to provide him with a good package, and I feel the best is yet to come from his side. That’s why we are happy to welcome him back to our team, to start a successful season together.”

Having been pushed out of the team following a string of poor performances towards the end of last season, replaced by the now Red Bull bound Pierre Gasly, Kvyat found salvation at Ferrari as reserve and simulation driver for the Italian team, a role that although keeping the Russian in the Grand Prix fraternity has meant that Kvyat hasn't taken part in a motor race since departing Formula One at the US Grand Prix in 2017.

Despite a lack of seat time, Red Bull believe the break from the pressure of competition has been good for Kvyat, so much so that the brand have decided to bring Kvyat back into the junior team for next year, reuniting the obviously talented if somewhat accident prone driver with the squad where the youngster made his Formula One debut back in 2014.

“First of all, I would like to thank Red Bull and Toro Rosso for giving me this opportunity to race in Formula 1 again and I am particularly pleased to be returning to a team I know very well,” said Kvyat.​

“Toro Rosso has always made me feel at home and I’m sure it will still be the same next season," he continued. "I would also like to thank Ferrari for trusting my driving skills which allowed me to stay connected to F1 as their development driver. Even if my duties were primarily simulator based, I’ve learnt a lot, and I now feel stronger and better prepared than when I left Toro Rosso.

"I never gave up hope of racing again, I am still young and I have kept in good shape to always be prepared in case another opportunity presented itself. I will give my best to deliver what the team expects from me and I can’t wait for everything to start again.”
With both Haas seats filled and now Kvyat confirmed at Toro Rosso next season, just potential openings at Williams and the second Toro Rosso drive remain up for grabs heading into the final part of the year.

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Happy to see Kvyat return? Do you think the Russian can perform at a reasonable level next year? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Lucky him. He now has to be calm and perform again.

He impressed me in his first years with Toro Rosso and Red Bull.
After that it went downhill pretty quickly, i think it was a mental thing. Especially after the promotion of Verstappen.

He showed his talent, now start a new, fresh start, forget what happened.
If he can do that, he has a chance to stay in F1 for quite some time

let's see what he's got left.
he did a lot of mistakes before getting replaced but i know another pilot who did exactly the same (including striking seb's car :D) and instead got promoted so.. im just curious now to see his pace.

It's like doing a restart to the career mode, but now nobody in the paddock's going to give him an easy time anymore. Hope he learnt his lessons and doesn't crash as much this time.

is he still dating the picket daughter? wondering if the relationship survived this career rollercoaster or if it was just a paddock thing.

Good to have him back.
He was always a quick driver but RBR and STR pressure seemed to do his head in.
And his team mate should be Hartley, a steady runner is an asset.

I say get Pastor in that open seat! And lets really rock and roll! That would liven things up in F1.
As kvyat, maldonado is treated a bit harshly. Yes, they did habe some questionable moments.

Guys like verstappen had that, too.
But maldonado was really quick throughout 2012 for example. In other years he was a bit bland, but the cars were ****, too.

Kvyat was great at toro rosso and his first season with red bull. Then he had two incidents and was degraded -> complete breakdown

Both are quite good drivers actually

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back