Kunos Previews Version 1.5 Track Improvements

12647375_1323632514329730_1938316857838484122_n.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni have outlined future developments for the upcoming version 1.5 of Assetto Corsa.

The announcement comes from the official Facebook page for the game, and makes a short recap of the development process during the last couple of years and what to expect for the track quality in version 1.5.

"The development of Assetto Corsa began in 2011. Since then, we have vastly improved our modelling techniques – today we have more resources (budget and manpower) and expertise, and the latest laser-scanning technology also allows us to obtain a better and wider scan, offering an opportunity to grab a higher number of objects surrounding the track. Moreover, during the development of Assetto Corsa, we have changed our approach to texturing and track modelling, creating more secondary details and trackside objects and also featuring 3D trees and camera-facing objects and crowds, something that resulted in nicer scenarios and better immersion. However, as a result there is now a visible gap in terms of graphics and details if you compare some of the first and the latest circuits created for Assetto Corsa.

Last year we made some tests with a new laser-scanning device, testing it at our HQ at Vallelunga race track, where we made our preliminary tests in early 2010 in preparation for the Ferrari Virtual Academy videogame. Since our aim is to offer our fans the best of our skills, know-how and quality, we are glad to tell you that we have started the process of optimizing and improving all our existing circuits, including Vallelunga, Nurburgring GP, Mugello, Magione, Imola, Silverstone, Monza, Spa Francorchamps, as well as the Nordschleife. The upgraded versions of these tracks will be available as a free update with build 1.5, currently in development.

Thank you very much for your great support!"

Update 1.5 will include the upgraded versions of all existing circuits. The update will be free, but there's no mention of an estimated release time or any other aspects of the changelog. You can check out the rest of the comparison screenshots of Vallelunga here:

12650969_1323632407663074_5236874710477723739_n.jpg 12651215_1323632344329747_7344512222940466299_n.jpg 12669575_1323632404329741_5329793163728902544_n.jpg

Stay tuned for further information, and in the mean time lets us know what you make of this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course :) Some people would use that by saying Kunos is a puppy hater and a cat lover. When loving cats doesn't mean they also don't love puppies.. etc..

Actually I am someone who bought AC in early access and there I liked it a lot. But time goes on and I expected kunos to keep developing AC to the racing simulator I initially thought it would become. So I am a customer who complains about missing features I expected when the term "racing simulator" ( I know it sounds absurd, but I expected it to be a software that simulates racing events) was thrown into the mix.
So I am far away from denigrating AC, actually I bought both DLC´s just because I believed in kunos and their ability to make a great product.
So I would say some people just construct their reality like they want it to be. Especially here where anyone who has any form of criticism about Assetto Corsa gets branded as someone who just wants to make look Kunos Simulazioni and their product bad and that´s what they do the whole day.
I guess I´m not much around these forums anyways but in the future I now know 100% that any discussion in this forum is just lost time and can be spent better otherwise.

greetings

Kunos made an announcement about giving away free puppies
Not interested in puppies unless they are accurately laserscanned.:p

@ The rest: With regards to the thread how about returning to the original topic. If you wish to improve feature improvements or copy/pasting you only need to click the "post new thread" button and you have a place to discuss it properly on topic.

Will continue with rFactor 2 - some will say it looks like crap, but it does the essentials way better than anything else.
The "essentials" is realistic physics to me.
I tried rFactor 2 (I admit, a year ago... Maybe it improved now?) and it was very far from AC in the physics department.
And graphics-wise, I'd rather not say anything. lol
The things I like about rFactor 2 is night racing though.

(btw, lots of wise-asses on the forum like to say "how can you say you know what is realistic if you never drove a racing car?"... I think these stupid people should really think twice... Many people here DID drive racing cars...)

As for the screenshots, it's a very very subtle improvement but it definitely looks better.
Can't wait for it.
Also, I doubt that v1.5 will be only graphical improvement.:whistling:

I tried rFactor 2 (I admit, a year ago... Maybe it improved now?) and it was very far from AC in the physics department.
Same here. I tried four demo builds: the first public demo built they ever released, and then the builds available in last autumn, the last one some weeks ago, and then one in the middle of the time between the first demo and last autumn.

After setting up and experimenting with wheel and FFB settings, I never liked what rF2 gave me in driving and physics. It was not at all a convincing experience to me. I liked the AI around me - but AI was all I liked in rF2.

After having tried four build over the time between their first ever demo build and the last one early this year, I decided that I have given it enough chances, and turned my back on it, forever. Good AI, yes - but beyond that I simply cannot see what according to its fans makes rF2 so good and special - I feel warped back by 10 or even 15 years when I tested it.

But okay, different strokes for different folks, as they say. I usually do not focus on what I do not like in a sim, but simply do not play it. I instead prefer to focus on sims I like, and comment - in other forums - on that. I just answered to your expressed doubt that maybe rF2 has become better over the past one year. According to what i have seen in demo builds I tried: no - it may have changed this or that - but better it became not, imo.

My driving fun comes form this triple: AC, R3E, Dirt Rally. They are not the same, and I like each for slightly different reasons. But I get my share of pleasure from all three of them.

I also like OMSI. :) LOL I know those old busses from the 80s, I lived there at that time. The sounds are awesome, and the most realistic car sound in any driving sim I know: genre benchmark in this category, believe it or not.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to the AC 1.5 update and hoping their is more in the package than just the graphic improvement. Purchased rF2 in the recent Steam sale. Prior to this my car sim fix was purely AC. First drive in rF2 it is inevitable that you will rate the graphics poorly. After about 10-15 hrs your eyes "tune-in" to rF2 and you realise that the graphics are not poor re AC, it is just a different palette and interpretation, and in its own way quite good. Not on a par with AC re details and overall quality, but not as bad as first impression coming from an AC background.

I was interested in the Skip Barber, so fired up the Lime Rock track and cut some laps. Four-wheel drifting in the Skip is fun on stilts! The FFB, sound and visual feedback while driving the Skip, especially when drifting, is better than anything I experienced in AC. Shame there is not a Skip mod for AC.

Not saying that every car and every track in rF2 is going to be a better experience. But I can say that the Skip and Lime Rock is a great combination in rF2. Looking forward to trying out all the other goodies in rF2. By all accounts the online rF2 scene is dead as a dodo but I did not pick up the online subscription in the Steam sale. If you don't have rF2 and want to try something different, it is definitely worth a look.

Few people like rF2 physics because they punish mistakes serverely. But, the physics engine itself is unmatched :)
The only things rf2 usually punishes the driver is low speed turns, with cars like formula renault 3.5, at tracks like atlanta motorsport. The car turns too much on its own axis. Is like you lose all rear grip and skidding on ice.

But if you're talking about mistakes like these...

No, the first was intentional sliding, the 2nd not so much. And not so much about the mistake, but about the easy and forgiving recovery. After all, those two labels generated a big discussion in AC forum.
I don't know how to answer this, but i will try ...

Let's leave the skip barber aside. Are you telling me that you can jump on the FISI and start making drifts whenever you want ? The only fact that the guy has seen the need to make a video about it proves that it was an exceptional situation, and it's fine for me! without mentioning that the same guy only managed to finish few races when he was participating to FSR league using that same car. Isn't that severe ?

To make things a bit relative, and since you've mentioned AC. Would you admit that the probability of saving a slide on AC is higher than on rF2 ? actually close to 100% , i can't even remember when was the last time i spun on AC actually ...

Few people like rF2 physics because they punish mistakes serverely. But, the physics engine itself is unmatched :)
Few people? Can you give some consolidated data to support your statement?
And no, in my opinion it punish mistakes like and less severely than AC, nevertheless it's a matter of subjectivity.
Last, but not least, sorry for the OT.

Last edited:
I do not complain about punishing physics in rF2, but physics that feel flat and absent and rail-like, like something from 10 years ago, combined with a sub-optimal steering. Pushing bricks over the tarmac and calling that "8-ball pool" - that fits better a description of why I did not like what I saw there. ;) :)

I don't know how to answer this, but i will try ...

Let's leave the skip barber aside. Are you telling me that you can jump on the FISI and start making drifts whenever you want ? The only fact that the guy has seen the need to make a video about it proves that it was an exceptional situation, and it's fine for me! without mentioning that the same guy only managed to finish few races when he was participating to FSR league using that same car. Isn't that severe ?

To make things a bit relative, and since you've mentioned AC. Would you admit that the probability of saving a slide on AC is higher than on rF2 ? actually close to 100% , i can't even remember when was the last time i spun on AC actually ...

Maybe i'm crazy, but i sure find the FISI easier to drive to the T125 S1.

The modded F2002 is very easy to drive, but so are most RF2 mods imo.

I do not complain about punishing physics in rF2, but physics that feel flat and absent and rail-like, like something from 10 years ago, combined with a sub-optimal steering. Pushing bricks over the tarmac and calling that "8-ball pool" - that fits better a description of why I did not like what I saw there. ;) :)
It's clear you don't like rF2, and that's fine, it's not my intent to convince you otherwise. But, your assessment doesn't seem to hold much water with the serious sim crowd. rF2 is one of the most popular league sims around. If it was lacking in the sim department (physics, FFB, features) I doubt it would be that popular.
Note, I don't race online so I'm not commenting in support of my preferences. I would question my assessment though if my experiences was felt like "pushing bricks". It's like me saying the car sounds in R3E suck... I don't think anyone would take my opinion as gospel. We have to give credit where credit is due regardless of our preferences.
BTW, I love the sounds in R3E ;)

• Deleted member 130869

Well, he also said that real formula drivers don't attack kerbs at Mugello when we were discussing the kerb of death bug (even when there are countless videos showing the opposite), just to put things into perspective. He's there to promote his game after all, don't forget it.

I presume the ongoing resistance from them is why you and a couple of other prolific modders decided to leave or take an extended break from Assetto? I can definitely understand and empathize, having experience similar.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%