• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

EU Kunos: Porsche GT3 Cup @ Road Atlanta - Monday 13 May 2019

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa Racing Club' started by Craig Dunkley, May 6, 2019.

Added to Calendar: 13-05-19
  1. Miguel Batista

Miguel Batista
    Premium

Ratings:
    +115
    How were your temps? If they got too cold, your pressures dropped so your grip goes south. Also, you could have balance issues. These cars are very bottom heavy which makes them fun but also mean that you need to brake hard so that you get weight forward or you will have understeer followed by severe oversteer once the front tires bite. And practice...

2. Raresch

Raresch
    Premium

Ratings:
    +43
    I see. The temps were around 70-75 which I know were low ... but the pressure was 26-25 for almost the whole race. Every time I get the pressure right, the temps drop. If I want the temps right, the pressure is just way over the line. I don't know how to setup them better.

3. RobertR1

RobertR1
    Premium

Ratings:
    +306
    @Celtic Pharaoh can you expand a bit on your rear ARB setting? Per the tool tip the arb should be lower on a track like RA due to its bumps and curbs yet yours is very high. Curious to learn how arb works for AC. Your setup felt really nice btw so thanks for sharing it.

4. Kek700

Kek700
    Premium

Ratings:
    +411
    I am only speaking for myself.....
    If you do not drive the car hard the tyre temps will drop along with the tyre pressures.
    That for me is why I am careful when getting caught in traffic, the 911 cup being particularly
    sensitive for that, my Nissan Gtr gt3 is pretty fool proof in that respect, so it does not matter
    so much, but I still have to be careful.
    I would like to read someone else's input to that, just out of interest.:geek:

PS, all my tyre temps were in the green, with the exception of front right, which was green for most of
    the lap.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Craig Dunkley

Craig Dunkley
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,129
    +1 here ...When my tires started going into the blue (off green) I came of the racing line slightly going into a bend/corner, so I knew my tires had got to work harder to get me round..but mostly they were in the green, so I rarely had to resort to this method. Sometimes, no matter how hard you push her they will remain cold, but you work all this out in practice..one other thing, every car is different and how you setup the car can make a huge difference ...I only managed to do around 11 laps, so maybe I should shut up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Chris Down

Chris Down
    Premium

Ratings:
    +234
    Hey! Some possibilities:
    • Are you running really low rear wing? Maybe you are sliding through the corners more, and would have better tyre wear with more rear wing. More rear wing may also make low chemical grip situations more tolerable at speed.
    • It could also be made worse by wheelspin if you are not controlling the throttle on corner exit.
    • It could also be not making best use of the contact patch, ie. running with the wrong camber settings, which makes low chemical grip even worse. Looking at tyre temperature and evenness may help you to work out how to maximise the contact patch.
    That said, I think after about 20-25 minutes, most of us were certainly feeling some tyre wear as well. It's just a question of how much :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Raresch

Raresch
    Premium

Ratings:
    +43
    hey, thanks for the reply.
    • The wing was actually pretty high, at 6 I think.
    • Wheelspin control ... that might be something ... but there was no screeching sound ... but surely i an not that good at this either.
    • Yeah. I didn't messed with camber too much, I don't really know how to change it. There is a setup guide on the forum with multiple points that I try to follow, but sometimes it just doesn't work ... I managed to get a good feel for the rear camber, but I didn't have time for the front one.

8. Kek700

Kek700
    Premium

Ratings:
    +411
    Just looked at the two setup's posted on this post, looking to see if I could come to some sort of
    similarity between mine ( mid fielder ) and the other two front running drivers.
    Considering that the setup is limited for this car, surprised to find all the setup's are miles apart.
    They are really nothing alike, apart from tyre temp's:O_o:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kek700

Kek700
    Premium

Ratings:
    +411
    @Raresch followed you for a few laps, your driving was certainly quick enough not to have
    tyre problems.
    Perhaps when you started to get inconsistent laps after lap 14, you did not think to get your tyres up to temperature before you started to push.
    You could post your setup, just in case you have done something really wrong?:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Raresch

Raresch
    Premium

Ratings:
    +43
    I will post the laps, but most certainly is all over the place. Well, I was pushing as always and then, suddenly, after 20 minutes from the start I started to miss apexes and I felt like sliding out of the turn, needing to rotate harder the wheel. Maybe it was less fuel as well, but it was really weird because it happened really sudden. after I started struggling, mostly in the rapid chicanes downhill and at the end of the downhill straight, were you have 2 right turns, before going to the third and last straight (which isn't that straight anyway :)) )

11. Raresch

Raresch
    Premium

Ratings:
    +43
    I think this is the one I used. I know it's broken because I don't really know where to start. I usually start with what is set already. I didn't test the other 2 setups posted here. hope is not that bad, but it might be :)

Attached Files:

12. Reik Major

Reik Major
    Premium

Ratings:
    +3,746
    Well, I often doubt myself if the setups I make are good or make sense from a physical point of view.

Over the years I got an idea what change might do what. So my setups are trial and error in terms of what feels better and what doesn't. For me it often results in setups which are tricky to handle but finally fast. Very often a change makes the car feel easier to handle but makes me slower, so I go for the risk then...

But in general I don't know what I'm doing really.

13. Kek700

Kek700
    Premium

Ratings:
    +411
    @Raresch
    After being able to look at two drivers setup's, who quite a bit quicker than I.
    I don't feel too awkward in suggesting the following. I am assuming you are of a similar standard to me.
    Perhaps tyre pressures 1 psi too high on the left side of the car. certainly "too" much camber
    on the front and rear.
    You could run more rear wing, to give the car a bit more confidence in some corners.
    ( for you and me that counts more than gaining 5 meters at the end of the long straight ).
    And even that is dubious.
    I ran 0.22 toe on the rear, again for more confidence out of some corners.
    The car certainly does not mind that much rear toe.
    If you lost some concentration at lap 14, with the tyres at 1 psi more than they should be on the
    left side of the car.
    I can see why this may have escalated into an ill handling car, but your setup looks ok.
    I would suggest more, but as there is so much conflict with the setup's ( including mine )
    that i have seen, your setup is arguably sound.
    Apart from tyres and camber.

• Love Love x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  14. Kek700

Kek700
    Premium

Ratings:
    +411
    But you do if you are quicker, that what counts, like you, but the opposite way around, I can be quicker
    with some of my setups but I always go for a safe handling car.
    As I am in the middle of the field, a few tenths here or there is of no concern to me.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RobertR1

RobertR1
    Premium

Ratings:
    +306
    fyi, real race pace is about 3 seconds a lap slower: https://porschegt3cupusa.imsa.com/schedule-results/current-results?event_id=73

You basically can't do a full throttle coming down the hill into the last corner, the lift on the left hander after the cresting T3 is a lot more severe and you can't barrel down the esses as fast. The braking is earlier also. 3 seconds on a short lap is a lot.

• Beer Beer x 1
  16. RasmusP

RasmusP
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,926
    • Love Love x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Medilloni

Medilloni
    Premium

Ratings:
    +285
    Hey Rasmus, now that I've managed to complete about 6 clean laps (seriously! lost count of the times I've gone off:laugh:) I've re-read this post and can't believe how accurate it is, and bloody hilarious:roflmao: Thanks again buddy!

• Haha Haha x 1
  18. Medilloni

Medilloni
    Premium

Ratings:
    +285
    Edit: I made a daft post, didn't read the setup properly:laugh:

• Haha Haha x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.