AC KUNOS Audi TT RS VLN @ Nordschleife - Wednesday 20 Nov 2019

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
That was a lot of fun. Ultimately, I was really happy being able to run all 4 race laps within 1 second. @pattikins kept me honest all the way through.

Finished the last lap with my fastest lap which shows that mediums were perfect for the track conditions. I was running the stock setup including tire pressures as I felt the car was well setup as is.

Good to be back and hopefully around more often.

Sorry for getting the server settings right..no idea why I put in 20 laps and not five :thumbsup:

It was a good close race, just wished we had a few more drivers...lucky the drivers we had all had similar pace, so some racing was had.

congrads to the podiums :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: and congrads to all the drivers that finished :thumbsup:

Hope to see you all on Monday :thumbsup:

Huge congrats to @RobertR1 Robert (and get signed up for the Toyata/Zandvoort event!!), @pattikins Patrick and @HF2000 Han for the podium results, great times and consistency:)

Thanks for tonight @Craig Dunkley , bloody fantastic combo :thumbsup: - 3rd race here and getting to really love it, and as Robert says the standard setup is amazing (rear wing at 3 though), had to restrain myself in the last lap, the fun of chucking it about fecked the tyres for the last lap... I wondered if Han could hear me praying for him to fall off:roflmao::p

Being a 'Ring noob, a stand out for me here is setting up a pass, compared to most circuits it takes a lot of planning, but feels great when you get it right:inlove:

Last edited:
Had some good racing and fights until that incident with @hape ..Seems like this resulted in a rear suspension damage or a puncture, car felt weird. So I've decided to make a pitstop with repairs and changed the tyres, too, which ruined my race :thumbsdown:

Congrats to the podium and thanks for organising @Craig Dunkley :thumbsup:
hi @marek2209
sorry for that incident. It was totally my fault but i was with my front beside your rear and saw it was not possible to overtake but with my right half on the grass. I breaked and give you a tap. Sorry that your car was so damaged that you can't drive anymore without a pit stop. Sorry for that fault from me.
hape

That was a lot of fun. Ultimately, I was really happy being able to run all 4 race laps within 1 second. @pattikins kept me honest all the way through.

Finished the last lap with my fastest lap which shows that mediums were perfect for the track conditions. I was running the stock setup including tire pressures as I felt the car was well setup as is.

Good to be back and hopefully around more often.

The Nordschleife is one of my favourite tracks and driving the Audi around it was an absolute treat.

I was over 3 seconds behind you after the first lap, but I managed to claw some of that back with my fastest lap of the race in the second lap - six thousandths' of a second behind your best/final lap :cry: . I was eight tenths up on my time on the third lap when I got greedy and went off @ the second/little carousel. It was a real shame that I wasn't able to put you under pressure in the last few laps of the race. I'm happy with second place. Although, if Reik had stayed for the race, or if Allan's sister hadn't broke her leg and if John had used a commode :poop::confused::laugh: during the qualifying I'm sure the race would've been a lot more interesting.

....and if John had used a commode :poop::confused::laugh: during the qualifying.....
And what makes you think I didn't :whistling: :p

tenor.gif

I can see why you love the Nords Patrick, every lap is a huge lesson - so addictive!

The Nordschleife is one of my favourite tracks and driving the Audi around it was an absolute treat.

I was over 3 seconds behind you after the first lap, but I managed to claw some of that back with my fastest lap of the race in the second lap - six thousandths' of a second behind your best/final lap :cry: . I was eight tenths up on my time on the third lap when I got greedy and went off @ the second/little carousel. It was a real shame that I wasn't able to put you under pressure in the last few laps of the race. I'm happy with second place. Although, if Reik had stayed for the race, or if Allan's sister hadn't broke her leg and if John had used a commode :poop::confused::laugh: during the qualifying I'm sure the race would've been a lot more interesting.

Yeah it's funny how that works. Even on a 8min lap, we managed to be within 0.06s of eachother lol

What wing were you running? You were killing me on the straights whereas I could pull away in some of the medium speed corners. Made for a nice yo-yo effect and fun gap control.

I might go back to see if I can crack 39's stock setup. I had a few lined up but so easy to make a mistakes and lost 2-3 seconds over a lap.

Oh I do love the Nordschleife! Thanks Craig for this magnificent combo. The Audi is great here!

The race itself looked at first to be uneventful because Robert and Patrick were about 6s per lap faster and I was roughly the same faster as Marek. So I was cruising at 3th with which I was happy because normally the podium is out of my reach. But then first Patrick went off in the Little Caroussel and I saw a chance to pass him but he managed to defend just in time. In the 4th lap I went off myself in the Wehrseifen, lost about 10s so John appeared in my mirror. The last lap was therefore stressful because John was closing in. But I managed to restrain my nerves this time and was able to secure the podium.

Thanks everyone for racing tonight on this beautiful track!

I was in panic mode when I went off @ the Little Caroussel and ended up facing the wrong way. I somehow managed to turn the car around with less than half a second to spare. I was expecting you to pass me, especially on the long straight - Hottingen Hohe. You kept me on edge up until you went off in the middle of the fourth lap. Is it wrong to say it was a relief :redface:

Yeah it's funny how that works. Even on a 8min lap, we managed to be within 0.06s of eachother lol

What wing were you running? You were killing me on the straights whereas I could pull away in some of the medium speed corners. Made for a nice yo-yo effect and fun gap control.

I might go back to see if I can crack 39's stock setup. I had a few lined up but so easy to make a mistakes and lost 2-3 seconds over a lap.

I'm sure 8.39's are doable, but I'm not sure that you will beat the fastest time on RSR. I'm not as adventurous as Ernie, & I search for car set ups. I was running 2 at the rear & 3 at the front.

If you want to view the splits I've posted the results are here.

I'm sure 8.39's are doable, but I'm not sure that you will beat the fastest time on RSR. I'm not as adventurous as Ernie, & I search for car set ups. I was running 2 at the rear & 3 at the front.

If you want to view the splits I've posted the results are here.
I'm quite sure 8.39 or even 8.38 is possible. My best time is 8.44 and @Enzo Fazzi is at least 6s faster on this track with any car.

You're that fast with stock setup? That's incredible!!!

I am assuming that Robert means, gearing, tyre selection and correct pressures,
wing setting on some cars wrt circuit, then that is my opinion too.
I setup cars up rather like doing the lottery just in case I can scratch some more performance out of a car but invariably I am just as quick on the standard setup
( no laughing anyone ). This excludes a setup that removes a car with a bad driving problem, then a setup can make a car easier to drive, not to make it quicker, funnily this can make it slower but easier to keep on the black stuff.

From my stand point this thing is mainly down to the quality of the pilot.

I state this begrudgingly, it would be nice if an old pilot like me could find a way of cutting the gap to these young guns. unless I am out of the all seeing loop, I stand
by the opinion that it’s the pilot, setup are massively overrated in AC. I am only talking about AC, if we are taking about the real world or another sims then these comments are not applicable.

All I have is my driving buddy John, who I am glad to see has some how managed to create a new and faster pace to fly the flag for the old boys.:thumbsup:

I setup cars up rather like doing the lottery just in case I can scratch some more performance out of a car but invariably I am just as quick on the standard setup
( no laughing anyone ). This excludes a setup that removes a car with a bad driving problem, then a setup can make a car easier to drive, not to make it quicker, funnily this can make it slower but easier to keep on the black stuff.

I state this begrudgingly, it would be nice if an old pilot like me could find a way of cutting the gap to these young guns. unless I am out of the all seeing loop, I stand
by the opinion that it’s the pilot, setup are massively overrated in AC. I am only talking about AC, if we are taking about the real world or another sims then these comments are not applicable.

All I have is my driving buddy John, who I am glad to see has some how managed to create a new and faster pace to fly the flag for the old boys.:thumbsup:

In this particular case, literally no changes at all. I felt getting mileage was more important and yeah I noticed compared to others I had no top speed but it was fine as I was enjoying driving the car which means my confidence in the car was good.

Personally, a good setup matters even on slower car. For the longest time I couldn’t break 7:40 doing tourist laps in a mx5 cup on the public servers. Then some guy who know owns the world record with that combo shared his setup. One lap to get used to it. Another lap to shave off 3 seconds. It was objectively down to the setup. I went back to normal and sure enough can’t break 40’s again.

I lack the knowledge or the time to learn to figure this out on my own so i generally limit myself to stock with tire pressures unless someone is generous enough. Even the gearing I don’t touch unless it’s grossly out of whack. Then I’ll move the final drive ratio and adapt my shift points.

I do still agree that a pilot is paramount. If you’re spending more time tuning than driving, flip that ratio around and you’ll go faster. Mileage matters. Still, in a game where there is no fear or consequence and the reset button is a click away, the setup makes the difference at the pointy end. You also get the luxury of making highly complex and time consuming setting changes in an instant where as some of those might not even be possible to do at the track.

In real life, from personal experience, trackdays are 99% driver and not setup. In club racing, that ratio might be 80 driver 20 setup at the winning end.

Last edited:

Thanks for the compliment Ernie, though if I'm honest the hardest thing for me is 'learning to forget' about real world car behavior, and understanding the sim world - imo sims are very entertaining, but totally disconnected from the environment we race in - clinical, on a screen, no fear of damage etc, which I guess you know anyway! The sim driver can never know what the real thing feels like, and how minuscule changes affect feel and performance. No disrespect meant to us sim guys!:)

There's been plenty of discussion about the stock setup being only fractionally slower than a good setup on this site; trying others (inc your own), then later going back to stock - in most cases I find there's little difference in lap time with practice, just that they feel different (I mean for Kunos cars, not for mods), so imo it's finding a setup that fits your style rather than a faster lap per se. F*** me, I just used man-bun language:laugh:

Anyway.... I'm loving the Toyota, but can't beat the Oreca in an AI race, so what the f*** do I know :laugh:#

Edit: Wish I'd seen Roberts post before I wrote that waffle:roflmao:

Last edited:
In this particular case, literally no changes at all. I felt getting mileage was more important and yeah I noticed compared to others I had no top speed but it was fine as I was enjoying driving the car which means my confidence in the car was good.

Personally, a good setup matters even on slower car. For the longest time I couldn’t break 7:40 doing tourist laps in a mx5 cup on the public servers. Then some guy who know owns the world record with that combo shared his setup. One lap to get used to it. Another lap to shave off 3 seconds. It was objectively down to the setup. I went back to normal and sure enough can’t break 40’s again.

I lack the knowledge or the time to learn to figure this out on my own so i generally limit myself to stock with tire pressures unless someone is generous enough. Even the gearing I don’t touch unless it’s grossly out of whack. Then I’ll move the final drive ratio and adapt my shift points.

I do still agree that a pilot is paramount. If you’re spending more time tuning than driving, flip that ratio around and you’ll go faster. Mileage matters. Still, in a game where there is no fear or consequence and the reset button is a click away, the setup makes the difference at the pointy end. You also get the luxury of making highly complex and time consuming setting changes in an instant where as some of those might not even be possible to do at the track.

in real life, from personal experienc, trackdays are 99% driver and not setup. In club racing, that ratio might be 80 driver 20 setup at the winning end.
Robert, I'm trying to learn from others with setups so I'm interested in the MX5 setup to see which changes the guy made to make the car perform better. Would you share this setup?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back