AC KUNOS Audi TT RS VLN @ Nordschleife - Wednesday 20 Nov 2019

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
There is also the placebo effect.:unsure:

I am two seconds a lap from the front of the grid, all I have left is setup, so I fiddle away trying to bridge the gap, it just makes me feel, well at least I am doing something about it.
Then I go into a fixed setup race, bugger me still two seconds away.
Don’t get me wrong on this, setup is a very important part of my sim racing. After spending quite a long time trying to rationalise this, these are my present conclusions.
I have tried setups by most of most top setup people in this forum, it always come down to watching the delta time that makes any difference.
I invariably return to my own setup, as that usually
a bit quicker for me and sits nicely into my awkward driving system.
I am pretty much into a situation we’re I know how to get good performance out of a car and track, but, and this is a big but, I do not actually like the process I need to take, I am not a Michael Schumacher ( in many ways :() ( I’m actually pleased I am not ), I find pawing over every detail quite tedious I much rather guess the braking points for every corner. Not good for lap times. Taking a more suck it and see approach.

in my opinion John is quite correct, I remember I was in a FF1600 going at a 100mph on an air field we’re the planes had previously dumped a load of aviation fuel, heading for a fence and ditch, thinking how late should I leave the braking. You know the answer, I chickened out and started to brake earlier.:confused: That would never be the case in AC.

If I find anything to contradict my views, I can assure you I will be on it quicker than a rat up a drain pipe.

My humble opinion is do what Robert says, a small amount of attention on getting a basic setup correct
for the circuit your on, then driving, driving and more driving.

I hope the world is still revolving by the time you have finished this monologue.
:sleep::sleep::sleep:

PS, I will be repeating this if I find anything that contradicts my conclusion.

Just one other point, beware of the conclusion that the fastest man on the circuit has the best setup, if such a thing exists, it may be the slowest driver in a race that has the best setup.
The fastest is just that he is very good at maximising the speed of the car though out the lap in the most time efficient manor.:)

Attachments

• 2BA9110B-66BF-4A47-B95F-023F33B86DED.png
    2BA9110B-66BF-4A47-B95F-023F33B86DED.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 88
There is also the placebo effect.:unsure:

I am two seconds a lap from the front of the grid, all I have left is setup, so I fiddle away trying to bridge the gap, it just makes me feel, well at least I am doing something about it.
Then I go into a fixed setup race, bugger me still two seconds away.
Don’t get me wrong on this, setup is a very important part of my sim racing. After spending quite a long time trying to rationalise this, these are my present conclusions.
I have tried setups by most of most top setup people in this forum, it always come down to watching the delta time that makes any difference.
I invariably return to my own setup, as that usually
a bit quicker for me and sits nicely into my awkward driving system.
I am pretty much into a situation we’re I know how to get good performance out of a car and track, but, and this is a big but, I do not actually like the process I need to take, I am not a Michael Schumacher ( in many ways :() ( I’m actually pleased I am not ), I find pawing over every detail quite tedious I much rather guess the braking points for every corner. Not good for lap times. Taking a more suck it and see approach.

in my opinion John is quite correct, I remember I was in a FF1600 going at a 100mph on an air field we’re the planes had previously dumped a load of aviation fuel, heading for a fence and ditch, thinking how late should I leave the braking. You know the answer, I chickened out and started to brake earlier.:confused: That would never be the case in AC.

If I find anything to contradict my views, I can assure you I will be on it quicker than a rat up a drain pipe.

My humble opinion is do what Robert says, a small amount of attention on getting a basic setup correct
for the circuit your on, then driving, driving and more driving.

I hope the world is still revolving by the time you have finished this monologue.
:sleep::sleep::sleep:

PS, I will be repeating this if I find anything that contradicts my conclusion.

Just one other point, beware of the conclusion that the fastest man on the circuit has the best setup, if such a thing exists, it may be the slowest driver in a race that has the best setup.
The fastest is just that he is very good at maximising the speed of the car though out the lap in the most time efficient manor.:)
I have to agree with you, Ernie although I will keep adjusting the setup in a way that I feel comfortable with the car. Indeed psychological. Setups from aliens like @JoelK , @Asterix and @Enzo Fazzi which I tried mostly led to getting of track often because I haven't got the skills to master that car behaviour.

But I'm curious about your opinion about the rig you're using does influence performance for every component. I don't have a raceseat, VR, direct drive wheel or loadcell pedals and I would like to know if I should invest in hardware, which component will help me the most for performance and/or consistency.

Last edited:
I have to agree with you, Ernie although I will keep adjusting the setup in a way that I feel comfortable with the car. Indeed psychological. Setups from aliens like @JoelK , @Asterix and @Enzo Fazzi which I tried mostly led to getting of tracks often because I haven't got the skills to master that car behaviour.

But I'm curious about your opinion about the rig you're using does influence performance for every component. I don't have a raceseat, VR, direct drive wheel or loadcell pedals and I would like to know if I should invest in hardware, which component will help me the most for performance and/or consistency.
Pedals.

Note: I've said this even before getting my job.

@HF2000 , placebo, if I have the best that only leaves the blame on me. Bugger.:(

There’s bound to be some snotty nosed kid with a Xbox hand controller and 17” monitor that can probably whoop the lot of us. Bugger.:(

My take on equipment is, make sure that what you are using is functioning at 100%. ( MoTeC is good for that )

I am lucky that I have started with 21” monitor, fanatec Porsche wheel and V1 pedals, and a metal home made chassis.

I could go on about all the equipment I have waded through to get were I am now.
If I had found something that made me actually quicker, I would have mentioned it
a long time ago in these forums.

So what I will say is what I think “ helps “ makes you quicker.

If all that you have is working properly, then it is down to you.;)

But that is not the answer that helps you, so if I had to change all my expensive
gear with the thought of only performance, then:-

some sort of resistive brake pedal.
A second hand V1 club sport Fanatec steering wheel.
a single 27” monitor.

Anything else

And I say this begrudgingly, a simplistic 40:40 aluminium extrusion chassis, just for two reasons.
1) it makes the whole assembly user friendly, ( just a cheap bucket seat would be fine ) ( in fact any seat )
2) I can adjust every thing easily to get everything in the right place. When I change my ideas it is easy to readjust every.

But I do think it would be my chassis that I would least likely to loose. ( but that is not a performance thing )

My HE pro’s are in my opinion a very nice and useful addition, I would be sad to see them go. I could write pages of praise about those pedals, but they do need a sturdy chassis to get the best from them.

my Pc was a i5 6600k with gtx980ti.
It is now a i5 9600k @ 5Ghz with rtx2080

Was it worth the change £ wise wrt AC, no.

Last edited:
Just one other thought, if you wanted a one word answer, then Enzo response I would go for.

Pedals.

that’s said by an old bloke who struggles to feel the things:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Just one other thought, if you wanted a one word answer, then Enzo response I would go for.
Pedals.
that’s said by an old bloke who struggles to feel the things:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:
I agree, swapping the Logitech 920 wheel for tspsc racer gave me an improvement in lap times i didn't think possible, if there are pedals out there that behave and feel like a proper car I'd go for it.

In the meantime I'll stick with the thrustmaster pedals with a ball jammed behind the brake pedal - which, once your muscle memory kicks in is surprisingly good!

Maybe @HF2000 Han can do a deal with Enzo for Christmas dinner after all.... for freebie Heusinkveld pedals :p

Thanks, but I would like to hear the opinion of someone with more matching lap times.

After breaking my G27 wheel @ the end of last year, I changed over to a Thrustmaster T300 RS wheel and a set of T3PA pedals (non-pro). The wheel felt marginally better than the Logitech, but not much more. I really didn't like the pedals and I ended up replacing the conical mod (same as jamming a ball... :p ) with a load cell mod. The difference was night & day. It felt much more natural and more precise.

I'm currently using a set of Fanatec Clubsport V3 pedals and to me they've so far been worth the extra money.

Edit.
Chris Haye's recent video 'Is Sim Racing Pay To Win?' might be worth a watch.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back