Kubica to be Granted Second 'Assessment' Test by Renault F1

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Robert Kubica Renault Test 5.jpg

Fan favourite and Formula One exile Robert Kubica continues on the comeback trail as Renault F1 confirm the Polish driver will be granted a second test with the team.

Having impressed many behind the scenes at Renault during his mammoth day of running at Valencia back in June, Kubica and Renault have confirmed another more focussed test has been scheduled in order to find out if the 32-year-old former race winner has what it takes to compete at the pinnacle of open wheel motorsport.

"There are still many hurdles for him to overcome, and he knows better than anyone else that only his performance will determine if he can one day return to being a professional driver," says Renault team boss Cyril Abiteboul.

"Whilst the first day of testing at Valencia was no more than to let Robert get reacquainted with the feel of driving again, this second test will be to assess his capabilities to return to the highest level of competition.

"This is a new phase in his personal and professional journey and we are proud to support him in the form of lending our infrastructure at Paul Ricard that is suitable for professional and non-professional drivers."
Speaking at the recent Goodwood Festival of Speed, Kubica himself rated his chances of a Formula One return between 80 - 90%, giving fans heart that the likeable and exceptionally fast Polish driver could make an emotional return to Grand Prix racing following a career so cruelly cut short ahead of the 2011 racing season.

The test in Paul Ricard is not expected to be in current Formula One machinery, due to the strict regulations governing the kind of running active Grand Prix teams can undertake outside of a race weekend, however with a programme designed to test both the endurance and outright speed of the driver it will indeed be an important step in his rehabilitation as he fights to regain a place on the Formula One grid.

Speaking to Auto Express at Goodwood, Kubica confirmed that despite the lingering limitations following his rally accident, the driver remains at the peak of his physical fitness -

“I try to be prepared as best as I can; of course I have my limitations. I have to compensate with my left hand so it has to be fitter than ever I was in the past. And I am. My physical fitness preparation was never so good as it is now. It costs a lot of time but now it has become a kind of daily routine for me, which is giving me a good feeling of daily life.”

“My first target was to see if I could be capable of doing it. So this is more or less done. Second, let’s say, realistically talking, is raising the game slowly and step by step. F1 is a tough competition and I have been away from racing a long time. I think most of the question marks I had are gone, and I’m very comfortable with it. Actually it was a huge relief for me because this test would have been a case of, ‘Yes, I can do this’ or ‘No, I have to close the door on F1 forever’.”
If Kubica could return to race action in Formula One, and pick up where he left off at the end of 2010, this could well be one of the most emotional and impressive sporting comebacks in the history of Grand Prix racing.

Robert Kubica Renault Test 2.jpg
Robert Kubica Renault Test 3.jpg
Robert Kubica Renault Test 4.jpg
Robert Kubica Renault Test.jpg

Would you like to see Kubica return to Formula One? Could the driver have fought for a World Championship if his career hadn't ended so suddenly? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
"Kubica himself rated his chances of a Formula One return between 80 - 90%"
In the recent facebook chat which was organized by one of his sponors (Olimp Sport Nutrition) Kubica explained that he wasn't rating his chances of F1 return - he was merely rating the chances of his return to form and being fully prepared for the challenge of F1 racing.

Would be nice to see him back, however it all depends on what he wants out of the deal.

If he simply wants to get back into F1, then that's great and I'm sure there will be 1,000's of fans that would be happy to see him in an F1 car again.

I'm afraid I can't see the team winning anything for at least another two to three years. I'm assuming it's the car more than the engine (as Red Bull's technical team have created yet another great chassis) but it's going to be while yet before they start to deliver the results they want.

So if he's after wins, podiums, a possible shot at the championship I can't see that happening.

I don't like to be negative but Mercedes and Ferrari have made the hybrid era their own and I can see them being in command for a while yet.

Last edited:
I guess many of us would like to see him back, because on one hand what a comeback would it be, on the other it would be interesting to see how fast he can still be. Few months ago I would say that there are no chances of him back into F1, well I wouldn`t say the same now ;)

A car which is not on top of the list might not be so bad, might not give the title, but can show the talent behind the driver, if results are delivered.

I feel we only got a glimpse at the true potential of Kubica. Only he truly knows if he still has the potential he once did, but it sure would be great if he could come back and be competitive in the current machinery. I always felt his career was cut short just as it had begun to blossom.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 480 38.9%