Kubica out of Running for Williams Drive, Sirotkin New Favourite?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sirotkin Williams Favourite.jpg

Word has it that well heeled Russian driver Sergey Sirotkin is the new favourite for a 2018 Williams drive, with the potential Formula One return of Robert Kubica all but over..

Having gone up against each other in direct competition at the recent end of season Formula One tyre test, it looks like Williams have come to the decision that Polish former Grand Prix winner and Formula One returnee Robert Kubica doesn't quite have the speed seen in his first stint in Grand Prix racing, paving the way for Williams to preference the well financed Russian Renault test driver Sergey Sirotkin for a drive with the team next season.

Sirotkin was something of a surprise choice for the Abu Dhabi test when confirmed by the British team early last month, and following his solid performance in the Pirelli test could well be in the prime seat for a drive with the team alongside Lance Stroll next year, potentially put to an end the fairy tale return of Kubica and Scottish test driver Paul di Resta.

Maintaining the Russian link, according to Motorsport.com former Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat has now moved into the running as first reserve option should Sirotkin fail to agree terms with the team in the next few weeks, with the Grove concern reportedly in advanced stages of negotiations with the 22 year old Formula Two driver.

No doubt helping pave the way for Sirotkin at Williams is the reported £15m sponsorship package courtesy of long term backers SMP, meaning that Williams Grand Prix Engineering could well be looking at fielding not one but two pay drivers in 2018, marking something of a dramatic fall from grace for this once proud British outfit...

If you like your motorsport fast and open wheeled, check out the Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the discussion today!

sergey sirotkin Williams.png
Sirotkin Williams Favourite Kubica.jpg

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Do you think Sirotkin would be a good fit for Williams? Is this the end for Kubica in your opinion? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
It's a shame Williams has had to take the money route when looking to fill the seat, rather than look for someone with true talent. Can't wait till 2021 when all this money orientated F1 dancing is over and we can go back to real racing with the drivers being the reason for winning not the cars tech and multi million dollar budgets.
I wish Sirotkin the best in a full F1 season, it's a big step up from GP2 with more pressure to perform at the highest level possible, it will make or brake him I guess.

I can understand teams that have to choose one pay-per-drive pilot but ...really ...two ?:notworthy:
And we all blame Sauber for this Ericsson saga lol.

• Deleted member 130869

Kubica could warrant all that sponsorship money with one good race result. Goodbye, Williams.

Sirotkin proved faster in the tests against Kubica. No brainer really. Yes it is a shame Robert won't have the fairytale return but the fact is Williams tested both against each other and Sirotkin came out on top. The whole pay driver thing is a bit uncalled for... He's proven his worth to the team, the added money he brings is just extra.

Not the first time Williams has had an all pay driver line up either. 2012 rings a bell...

I remember the days when teams like Williams and McLaren were so sought-after, they basically called the shots for driver compensation.
They've had one heck of a departure.

Last edited:
I was always a fan of Kubica. But it would not have been right to take the seat from a young driver. I still think that Daniil Kvyat should get the seat. A new start a new team would be good for him he is quick. He could do it.

It's a shame Williams has had to take the money route when looking to fill the seat, rather than look for someone with true talent. Can't wait till 2021 when all this money orientated F1 dancing is over and we can go back to real racing with the drivers being the reason for winning not the cars tech and multi million dollar budgets.

When was that the case?

Kubica would have brought personal sponsor Lotos to Williams, so he'd have basically been a paydriver per definition too.

Only if people would take the rose-tinted glasses off...

Last edited:
Speaking of sponsor money, I wonder what the plan is relating to the Martini sponsorship and their requirement for a driver over 25. Also, if we're going with "young talent," I would think Pascal should also be in the convo, though I don't know anything about his personal sponsorship situation.

Nope, Sirotkin's main success came when the series was still called GP2. His one-off for ART this year was in F2, but that doesn't count in, really.

------------

Love how everyone in here bashes Sirotkin already for being a pay driver. If anyone out of that 2016 GP2 season deserves a shot in F1 aswell (as GIO and Gasly have theirs already) it's him. Rampaged through the field in an underwhelming Rapax in 2015 and if it wouldn't be for his misfortune (and stupidity, as he himself admitted) he could have gained a lot more points in 2016, up to being a serious title contender. ART don't pick their drivers for money.

People really start bugging me off for their no-rookies-attitude these days. Always thought it's a bit different here, as most guys here care for more then just F1. Shame to be proven wrong.

/Sorry for the rant.

Love the fact that nobody would be bashing Sirotkin if he was competing directly against either Wehrlein, Kvyat or Di Resta for the seat. Enough with the "glories of the past" thing, F1 needs new blood.

I thought that Martini sponsorship necessitated at least one driver over 25, hence why they went for Massa last season when Bottas left. Judging by the fact that Sirotkin is likely going to be paying for the seat, it's probably to make up for that shortfall... if there is one.
He's clearly got the speed to warrant the drive, just seems to me that we might have a different coloured Williams next year.

edit: Just realised someone else was thinking the same thing :roflmao:

Meh, disappointed, I don't want sirotkin and tbh, even if he was up against wehrlein I'd have preferred him still, other promising driver who doesn't have the money to remain in f1.

Kvyat for me too.
He's a bit battered and bruised psychologically but IMHO he could put that negative experience behind him.
The motivation to do well must be burning fiercely, and while newer 'young talent' seems to be the flavour of the month, despite Stroll having a season under his belt, why would a team (money aside) want to run one rookie alongside one who drives like a rookie.
And let's be pragmatic here, Kubica was never going to get a drive.
;)

Last edited:
So they have two options and both of them are Russians. Interesting. I liked Kubica a lot, but I think that his time has gone as it had for Di Resta. Now they will choose between the new talent with the very rich sponsor who had a good career already and speed too or kinda F1 grown-up who was cruelly demoted and his motivation is highly questionable but he has that experience to work with the F1 team.

All I can say Williams is a mess shows from their performance last year and this and shows with their driver selection process.
Massa left and came back surely they knew over a year ago that they would need a replacement?
They've taken this long and now giving drivers hope. Personally, my preference would Pascal Wehrlein...From nowhere Sirotkin is in the equation.Guess money talks/drives

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back