Kubica Drops Major Hint Towards Combined DTM/F1 Role in 2020

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Outgoing Williams driver Robert Kubica has given his strongest hint yet that he could end up in the DTM next season, combining roles in Formula One and the German series next season.

"The decision from my side has been taken," Kubica told reporters in Abu Dhabi.

"I don't want to go too much into the details now. It's a bit more complicated stuff and we have to make sure we make it work from different perspectives and different points.
"I'm pretty optimistic and although not everything depends from my side and it has been more complicated because I would like to combine different programmes, it requires a bit more work and it is a bit more of compromises.

Kubica comes with backing from personal sponsor Orlen, making the 33-year-old Polish driver an attractive proposition as third driver for a Formula One team despite a less than stellar return to the top flight this year with Williams.

PK Orlen are keen to retain a presence in Formula One and with Kubica, but the driver is understandably set on racing in another series next year, undoubtably making up for lost time behind the wheel following his 2011 rally accident that cut short one of the most promising careers in Grand Prix racing at the time.

With no race seat in Formula One available next season, apparently Kubica has found a slot in another series, dropping a massive hint that although not a done deal, something is firmly in the works heading into the end of the current Formula One season;

“My racing programme is 100% up to me. My F1 role, of course there is second part, which is Orlen.

“They would like to stay in Formula 1 and we want to see if we can match everything together as it would be beneficial for everyone. So sometimes it takes more time than only my decision.​
"I'm looking for a big challenge, and definitely DTM, which is the [series which has the] highest probability that I will be racing in, it's probably the toughest championship apart of Formula 1 in Europe.​
"Let’s put it this way, if I manage to race there, I would be happy with it - and if we manage to combine a few things to make everybody happy, I'm open to this."​
Kubica has long been a fan favourite of race fans, and to see the driver in a top series such as the DTM would be a wonderful opportunity to continue enjoying the skills of one of Grand Prix racing's best, but ultimately unfulfilled talents.

Got something to say about motorsport in general, or F1 in particular? Start a thread in the Formula One or Motorsport sub forum!

Kubica to DTM 3.jpg

It's coming to the point, that I really question why people would hire this guy. He's not a Zanardi.

What kind of benefit can this guy give over other more talented drivers? I don't see any. Yes he crashed hard at Canada and won the year after, great stuff, well done.

Kubica, please stand back and let others take over, you might do well as an interviewer though.

It's coming to the point, that I really question why people would hire this guy. He's not a Zanardi.

What kind of benefit can this guy give over other more talented drivers? I don't see any. Yes he crashed hard at Canada and won the year after, great stuff, well done.

Kubica, please stand back and let others take over, you might do well as an interviewer though.
I think that he is an "Elder Statesman Money Driver" now. The Man has a recognizable name and he brings a wealthy sponsor along the ride. What's not to like?

I think that he is an "Elder Statesman Money Driver" now. The Man has a recognizable name and he brings a wealthy sponsor along the ride. What's not to like?

This....

It is like when that Jap Kubuti Kytaboshi or whatever lost his sauber ride and people moaned about pay drivers taking his place, so they hatched a plan to crowd fund him a drive in F1....well done you just made him a pay driver taking someones place!!

Kubica seems to be the only peson in motor sports who sees a bright future for him which is probably why it's only
himself bringing his name into play for a seat here and there. At first, it was sad to see a once promising driver do so badly on-track but as the season progressed, it actually became pathetic. He could have been remembered as a great talent who lost his shot at a title due to an accident, now he will be remembered as a driver who didn't want to accept that he should step down. No doubt, the Williams car was underperforming but Russel did well and most experts concur that Kubica was terrible. He did score a point but mainly due to a chaotic race so the fact is hardly a sign of performance.
If Kubica moves to a tintop series, he may get a few more seasons behind the wheel of a race car but it has become painfully obvious that he does not have anymore what it takes to handle a Formula One car (or, I doubt, any other formula car). The sad thing is that he probably lied to Williams and everyone else about how much his injury hampers him and the way Kubica was battling his own car, he probably did not provide the team with any useful feedback - which is what the team desperately needs if they want to improve and design a better car for 2020.

Sadly he brings a big money backer with him and that sums up EffWun today.
Can't get seat?
Look at the no-talent Stroll brat........daddy just writes a cheque and he has his very own team.
Kubica is entitled to do whatever he can arrange.

DTM would probably be a nice place for him. He was in an impossible situation in F1, driving a worthless car. Not sure how much is injured arm is responsible for his lack of pace. It was probably part of the problem, but there was also the fact that he was coming back to F1 after being away for 8 years.

I wish him the best. Everything I've read indicates that he is a really nice guy.

Sadly he brings a big money backer with him and that sums up EffWun today.
Can't get seat?
Look at the no-talent Stroll brat........daddy just writes a cheque and he has his very own team.
Kubica is entitled to do whatever he can arrange.

Entitlement is actually what clouds a person's judgment about what you either could or should do.

As a disabled person, being able to finish races in top level motorsports is incredible. But top level motorsports such as F1 is not a show anyway. Hiring a people like this to be a full-time driver shows anything but a team's ambition.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%