Kubica Driving "Completely Different Car" to Russell

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kubica Williams Struggles .jpg

As Williams woes continue in Bahrain, Robert Kubica adds further mystery to their performance as he believes he's driving a "completely different car" to George Russell.

Despite admitting that both Mercedes powered FW42 cars are near identical in both spec and baseline setup, Robert Kubica has admitted that the telemetry gathered by the team suggests the Polish drivers car is displaying characteristics that vary significantly from the sister machine - leaving Kubica with a near impossible task to drive the car heading into Saturday of the Bahrain Grand Prix.

"At least we understood that in Australia I ran a different set-up than George and we could clearly see the different characteristics in the cars," Kubica told reporters on Friday.​

"Here we started with the same set-up and the characteristic is still different. "I thought in Australia that it was maybe caused by some damages to the floor, and maybe a different set-up, but at least after the first session here we got an answer.

"It's clear that we are driving two different cars with the same set-up, so that is something we need to understand. It's quite obvious on the data. So now we need to try and find the reason."
Kubica Williams Struggles  2.jpg

Sadly for Williams and Kubica, despite being what feels like a completely different car, the results remain the same - firmly planted at the foot of the timing screens with little in the way of encouragement displayed by either driver.

Kubica then went on to explain that the issues found with his car are making life extra difficult in the cockpit, with the team finding it hard to understand how to unlock extra lap time without making the driving characteristics of the car too difficult for Kubica to push to the limit.

"It's looking strange, to be honest, and it's putting me in a very difficult position to drive the car. Additionally, if I try to follow it up with some balance shift I have to reduce a lot the grip, and the potential of the car.

"Neither way is good. I make it more drivable, I am slow. I make it let's say as it should be and it's undriveable. It's a very, very difficult situation. "I just hope that we will be able to solve it and if we are able to solve it will probably be the first time I am driving the car with better potential".

"It's matching my feelings, and it's clearly visible on the data. There has to be a reason, nothing happens without a reason, so we just have to have a deep think".
Despite once again propping up the timesheets in Bahrain, Williams can at least take heart from the fact that the gap to the rest of the field appears to have reduced slightly, with George Russell managing a best time on Friday eight tenths adrift of next slowest man Antonio Giovinazzi in the Alfa Romeo.

For more news from the world of Grand Prix racing, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join up with the community discussion today...

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Sadly it really doesn't make any difference whether or not he's able to push it to the limit. He will still be right at the back :( Best-case scenario: he beats his team mate...

It's probably not worth for them to so this. Why should they? They see the difference and the cockpits are probably different: wheel, pedals seat position etc. Not that easy to just jump into another car in these days.
And it would be a time waste for the team. They need to get that piece of crap up to speed rather than making kubica feels good or proving a theory to the public.
What I don't understand though is why kubica is throwing the car under the bus... Good pr for him but bad for the team!

Uhh, maybe it's because Kubica is essentially driving one handed? Williams say they provide identical cars, and assuming they have (why would they not), then it's all down to the driver.

with the team finding it hard to understand how to unlock extra lap time without making the driving characteristics of the car too difficult for Kubica to push to the limit.

Says it all really. Williams may have the worst car on the grid, but having one driver is definitely not helping progress either.

Yeah, go ahead and downvote this post. Live in denial about Kubicas ability to be racing this year. I like the guy, he just shouldn't have gotten a seat.

Last edited:
Uhh, maybe it's because Kubica is essentially driving one handed? Williams say they provide identical cars, and assuming they have, then it's all down to the driver.

Says it all really. Williams may have the worst car on the grid, but having one driver is definitely not helping progress either.

Yeah, go ahead and downvote this post. Live in denial about Kubicas ability to be racing this year. I like the guy, he just shouldn't have gotten a seat.
Not gonna downvote it but the facts, if kubica is telling the truth, are telling a different story. Same setup, different telemetry. It's not the same car apparently!
Not wanna say that kubica would be quicker if the cars would be identical but if it's true that the cars are just different then that is a fact, no matter if he's disabled or not...

He won't be the first person to think his team mate has a better car...
Funny how its never about the car when they are wining...

Not gonna downvote it but the facts, if kubica is telling the truth, are telling a different story. Same setup, different telemetry. It's not the same car apparently!
Not wanna say that kubica would be quicker if the cars would be identical but if it's true that the cars are just different then that is a fact, no matter if he's disabled or not...
Well, if a world renowned engineering company can't produce two identical cars then they should probably throw in the towel now. I feel for Frank, but things are just on a very steady downwards slope that I can't see them coming out of. At this point I doubt new regulations in 2021 will give them a boost.

While I like Kubica and his story, I do think he is 2019's Luca Badoer at the moment, and Williams is 2019's Minardi.

It's sad.
LOL, more like that yellow Forti Corse, I recall the commentators saying that they believe there are more than 4 of them on track the amount of times they got lapped :roflmao::roflmao: Badoer drove for them too!

It's probably not worth for them to so this. Why should they? They see the difference and the cockpits are probably different: wheel, pedals seat position etc. Not that easy to just jump into another car in these days.
And it would be a time waste for the team. They need to get that piece of crap up to speed rather than making kubica feels good or proving a theory to the public.
What I don't understand though is why kubica is throwing the car under the bus... Good pr for him but bad for the team!
i get what ur saying but everyone and their dog at this point know that williams sucks these days so while it would be bad pr, their reputation is so down the tubes you couldnt get any lower

• Deleted member 13397

i am pretty sure what i prefer if i have to choose from
a Mrs.Williams, who says, we have spare parts
a Mr.Russel, who says everything is fine (after the Barcelona Tests)
a Mr.Sirotkin, who wants to drive for Williams and after being not selected saying how bad it was,
or Mr.Kubica who says something more the PR blabla

It has nothing to do with the cars (other than the fact they are crap).
It is a man living in denial that his disability won't allow him to be able to drive a finely tuned, high powered race car the same as everyone else.
C'est la vie!

I didn't pay close attention to the Kubica testing, but if he was as bad as some of you seem to think, why did they give him a seat? He didn't come with a big wad of cash, did he? (Ah hell, a quick spot of Googling makes me now suspect that cash was a factor... :-/)

I like Robert's drive to get back to GP racing.
I was happy he got a seat...but he needs to tone it down a bit.
Sure! the car is bad...we can all see that.
Now is not the time to let frustration get ahead of working to help get the best result he can muster.
It's not going to be a points scoring or podium finishing car in it's current form.
These comments should be reserved for behind-the-scene conversations within the team.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 267 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 389 39.9%