Kubica, di Resta to Get Williams Chance Ahead of Driver Decision

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Willams Second Seat Fight.jpg

Williams have narrowed the 2018 driver choice to three options, with Paul di Resta and Robert Kubica both set to receive test time ahead of a final decision later this year.

With Williams obliged to have at least one driver over the age of 25 thanks to Martini sponsorship, the Grove based team are casting around for a full time partner alongside Lance Stroll next season, narrowing down the options to current incumbent Felipe Massa, test and reserve driver Paul di Resta or former race winner and fan favourite Robert Kubica, looking to continue on his comeback trail after finding himself left out in the cold following Renault's signing of Red Bull junior driver Carlos Sainz.

With Williams needing to ideally make a decision before preseason testing begins next year, let us take a look at the options below:

Felipe Massa
Felipe Massa.jpg

Races: 267
Wins: 11
Poles: 16
Teams: Sauber, Ferrari, Williams
Offering the least risk and already a known quantity at Williams, Massa is perhaps heading towards the sunset of an impressive career in Formula One and is generally acknowledged to be a solid, if not quite spectacular performer in his 36th year. Having performed reliably for Williams since stepping out of his short lived retirement, retaining Massa for another season in Formula One isn't a bad option for the British team, and he continues to be a solid and calming influence on his young rookie teammate.

Paul di Resta
Paul di Resta .jpg

Races: 59
Wins: 0
Poles: 0
Teams: Force India
Having failed to really sparkle during his three year stint at Force India, Paul di Resta firmly put himself back in contention for a drive at Williams with a generally outstanding stand-in performance for the unwell Felipe Massa at Hungry earlier this year. With very little seat time in a modern Grand Prix car, di Resta performed admirably for the team and with his regular high level of performance in DTM continues to prove he is as sharp as ever in racing conditions. However does the Scottish driver really have a star quality to push Williams back toward the front of the Formula One grid?

Robert Kubica
Robert Kubica.jpg

Races: 76
Wins: 1
Poles: 1
Teams: BMW Sauber, Renault
Easily the fan favourite of the three drivers thought to be in with a shout for next season, almost everyone connected to Formula One feels that the talented Polish driver still has unfinished business in Grand Prix racing. With the raw talent like Kubica undoubtedly had prior to his accident, and with Williams still not quite in a position to fight for top results on a regular basis, the general consensus remains that Kubica may well be a good bet for the marketing and fan reaction, and should his time away from Formula One or after effects of his major rally accident prove too big of an hurdle to overcome, the team could still replace the driver mid season with reserve di Resta. If however Kubica remains as competitive as he was in his Renault days, Williams could well be close to signing up one of the most talented drivers in current Grand Prix racing.

So with three very respectable choices, and the prime remaining place on the 2018 F1 grid, who will Williams choose to lead the charge of this once dominant team, and can the Martini liveried outfit return to winning ways next season?

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing check out our Formula One sub forum and get involved with the community today!

Who would you like to see alongside Stroll at Williams next year? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Is it a Williams FW..... Sorry wrong forum game :p

Has Alonso committed to McClaren?

Would love to see Kubica make a return but wouldn't mind Di Resta having a second chance too.

Hoping Williams can make a step up at least with Lowe in the team and the cash injection from Stroll.

Grove based team are casting around for a full time partner alongside Lance Stroll next season
This idiot is back? C'mon Williams...your reputation is getting damaged.

with Paul di Resta and Robert Kubica both set to receive test time ahead of a final decision

Oh fer God's sake. You mean I have to endure A DiResta-less Sky? He's the only decent one on there. Sheesh.

DiResa has been performing very well in the DTM. But the driver I'd pick (the best in the world right now I believe) is named Mattias Ekstrom. He will almost certainly win DTM this year, and he won World Rally Cross last year and would have this year if he was not running both DTM and Rally Cross.

Whew...just remembered I'm not watching the Halo. :laugh: So...none of this matters. C'mon over the Atlantic Fernando. We can watch together as F1 destroys itself. :)

Last edited:
Williams think this is Xfactor? They need to make their minds up and stop playing the drivers. Am guessing Di resta, already has a seat fitted as a reserve....and ready to go.

This idiot is back? C'mon Williams...your reputation is getting damaged.
Aw, c'mon Rob... you forgot that Baku episode. Earlier. This year. :rolleyes:
And you wanna stuff DTM/Rally Cross driver into high power/hi-tech modern F1 car ? Really Rob... what's got into you ? :D
;)
I saw Kubica once in the streets of Montreal during a GP weekend. He was wearing a white suit, and looked like a lanky cartoon character at 6 feet with a wiry figure.
Instantly reminded me of Spike from Cowboy Bebop
And of whom does Di Resta reminds you of ?
He's even one cm highter you know... 1.85 vs 1.84.
Just saying...

Oh, I got it. Maybe to Lucky Luke,
clipart_lucky-luke_animaatjes-23.jpg

a man faster even than his own shadow !? :unsure:
Today's Williams could really use a driver with those ...capabilities.
:geek:

Well firstly I'm going to make some positive comments about Massa so far this year.

A couple of bad races but in my view he's driven a very solid year so far. I was really impressed with his race at Spa. That car shouldn't have finished in the points it just wasn't good round there and he finished top ten. Ok, benefited slightly from screw ups around him but even so a great result for the team. He also drove very well at Sepang, admittedly Stroll had the upper hand round there but his defence from Ocon was almost the Massa of old, he held him at bay and then started to pull away, a solid job. He probably missed out on a win at Baku and has generally been a great asset to the team this year. Certainly the new tyres and their ability to now allow the driver to push more has helped him also.

He was effectively forced into leaving F1 last year as it became apparent that they would be signing Stroll (and his financial backing) to partner Bottas and his only options were to go to a lower F1 team which he simply didn't want to do (if the rumours are right he was looking at Jaguar and Formula E). So he wasn't ready to leave he just chose that route and that I totally understand.

As for the two choices mentioned above, I can see the team leaning towards Di Resta. Kubica just seems too much of a risk, I feel there may be just too many unknowns regarding his fitness over the course of a season. He seems fine during testing so I could be wrong (and I know he's gone on record saying he's fine) but I think there is still that slight doubt. Again Di Resta, like Massa is a solid choice I suppose and the cars he's had in F1 probably haven't allowed him to show his true potential.

The Williams car is unfortunately suffering from the issue they've had in the last year or so. They simply don't have the means to keep developing the car at the same pace as the other top teams. They started off well but the car is now being overtaken by the others so they are slipping towards the back again. This could also be deliberate. Paddy may have decided to write off this year in preparation for the 2018. The car looks like it simply lacks overall grip.

Knowing the teams previous history they wouldn't want to spend big money on a star name. So unless Alonso wants to take a massive pay cut he won't be going there.

C'mon Williams...your reputation is getting damaged.
In the beginning of the season a quote like this would be marked with a click of the agree button. However in recent races Stroll has done a super job, especially in the rain. I'd give him another season to prove he is totally worthy.

I doubt Kubica will get the nod, Williams will have to make to many alterations to the car to accommodate his disabled right arm, which in itself creates doubt that he has what it takes to drive these cars for 2 hrs while going flat out. It's a big enough job for an able bodied driver especially with the extra grip and downforce the cars are generating this year, which will only increase as Williams develop next years aero package.

Di Resta showed he can drive the car with very little seat time when he filled in for Massa, given more time I think he could perform at mid pack level, but would the Stroll - Di Resta combo be enough to put Williams back up towards the top. Even though Di Resta has some previous F1 form he doesn't bring to the team what Massa does......experience and maturity.

It will be a tough choice for Williams, but imo it's between Massa and Di Resta.

Unless Massa stops thinking of retiring after this season (as then I can't see why Williams might want to replace him) I'll go with Kubica. He proved in both Valencia and Hungary that he's able to drive the F1 car for hours, more than race distance. He's definitely able to do it, as far as I know the only thing different in Renault car was the steering wheel, no other changes were required. He's fast, he's consistent. He also have great relationships with engineers and can provide clear and valuable feedback to them, which is crucial for Williams to make their cars better. Plus it would have been a great PR story.

DiResta would be my second option, but he's not miles behind. Paul is always very consistent and genuinely solid driver. But I don't think he can match Kubica's raw pace.

To be honest - if either signs contract with Williams - I'll be happy, but I will be properly over the moon with Kubica back on the grid.

In the beginning of the season a quote like this would be marked with a click of the agree button. However in recent races Stroll has done a super job, especially in the rain. I'd give him another season to prove he is totally worthy.
Have to disagree. Daddy simply pulls out the wallet and there isn't even a discussion. Didn't he wreck Vettel on the warm down?

The lack of results at Williams is not a function of the driver... they've had some great drivers in the post-BMW years with Rosberg, Weber, Barrichello, Massa, Bottas, and Hulkenberg.

That said, I think Kubica has the hunger and drive to get the most out of the car compared to the alternatives. The pain he endured during his injuries, the healing process, rehabilitation, and every time he races is only something we can guess at.

He relentlessly pursued his passion to drive, and believes he can compete in F1.

Maybe that kind of driver can galvanize the Williams team to challenge Force India and McLaren next year.

Well firstly I'm going to make some positive comments about Massa so far this year..
For me personally... his highlight of the season was when cameras catching him taking a nap in the car, during one of the free practice !?! :confused: :notworthy:
Really... what else to say, he's getting old obviously he should commit more to his family and he already has his amazing farewell, that even greater of him didn't have, last year in Brasil.
I recon they will not repeat that. :D
Only cuz they thinking "you never know with him, he's like a racing zombie".
And all this.. comes from one who actually find him a very likable person, one of the few nice ones on the grid but you know - you better recognize when your time has come.
And Kubica... I like him even more (I mean... who doesn't right?) and this comes from the man who was die hard JV fan (a man Kubica actually replace in BMW car at a start of his F1 career) and I hope he'll find his place in F1.
Speaking of that, JV was also a team mate with Massa, and used to have quite bad opinion about him. But that was a ancient history, I'm sure he's come around ...these days. :)
Hmm... I was thinking now... what about JV then Frank ?
At least, he used to drive for you already. And bring you a tittle. :cool:
Naah... just kidding. :D:rolleyes:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back